PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Phil Rogers Column

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Did anybody else notice this in Phil Rogers' column on Sunday?

"Kenny Rogers decides this week if he wants to join a starting rotation that already is the only one in the majors featuring four starters who worked 190-plus innings in at least 30 starts last season."

The way that sentence has been written makes me think that an offer HAS BEEN MADE to Rogers.

Also I LOVED the crack Steve Rosenbloom had on Jerry Reinsdorf's "desire" to win in his column today.

Lip

dougs78
02-09-2003, 02:36 PM
It certainly does sound that way doesn't it? I guess we can see soon enough if the offer has been made and if he accepts. Makes me wonder what the offer was/is.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Doug:

You live in Lexington? I went to UK and worked at WTVQ-TV. I've known Denny Trease from WKYT-TV for 25 years...good friend and a great guy.

I loved that town and of course, UK basketball.

Lip

dougs78
02-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Sure do, Mark. I'm actually a graduate student at UK, so i've lived here for about a year, but will be here for several more. I like the town and its small "big-city" feel. Although, having graduated from Indiana, its quite difficult to cheer on the Wildcats. :smile:

although these days thats looking like a bad decision... :whiner:

mike squires
02-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Sure do, Mark. I'm actually a graduate student at UK, so i've lived here for about a year, but will be here for several more. I like the town and its small "big-city" feel. Although, having graduated from Indiana, its quite difficult to cheer on the Wildcats. :smile:

although these days thats looking like a bad decision... :whiner:

Dougs~don't sweat it, IU has certainly hit a bump on the road, but so has many teams in the Big Ten. IU is on their way. If IU continues to recruit well we will have several things to look forward too.

OfficerKarkovice
02-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"Kenny Rogers decides this week if he wants to join a starting rotation that already is the only one in the majors featuring four starters who worked 190-plus innings in at least 30 starts last season."

The way that sentence has been written makes me think that an offer HAS BEEN MADE to Rogers.

Also I LOVED the crack Steve Rosenbloom had on Jerry Reinsdorf's "desire" to win in his column today.

Lip

Is there a link to that column or is it in print volume only?

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 03:57 PM
I really hope we can get him. That other thread you posted Lip with Phil Rogers stating how Loaiza may get the spot scares the **** out of me. Rogers would be a very solid addition to our rotation.

If any offer has been made, methinks it wasn't for much more than 1.5 million with incentives. If Rogers comes here, it will be to win, rather than money. Lets hope he has his heart in the right place.

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Is there a link to that column or is it in print volume only?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0302090053feb09,1,4019512.column?coll=cs%2Dcolumni sts

A look at the other teams that have improved the most:

- White Sox--Bartolo Colon, Billy Koch, Tom Gordon and Brian Daubach will help take the focus off a talented collection of under-25 players, while powerful setup man Antonio Osuna is the only departing player likely to be missed. Kenny Rogers decides this week if he wants to join a starting rotation that already is the only one in the majors featuring four starters who worked 190-plus innings in at least 30 starts last season.

Unregistered
02-09-2003, 08:38 PM
An interesting part of the article shows the A's as declining with the addition of Keith Foulke while the Sox improved by adding Koch... Some That Went the Wrong Way:
Athletics - Keith Foulke statistically salvaged 2002 by pitching great as a setup man but is under the gun to show he can still nail down saves.

dougs78
02-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Dougs~don't sweat it, IU has certainly hit a bump on the road, but so has many teams in the Big Ten. IU is on their way. If IU continues to recruit well we will have several things to look forward too.

Yeah, I actually agree with you, but man this sure is a rough stretch we are in. Our offense is just killing me, if I see the team retreating to halfcourt, passing the ball around the perimeter one more time I think I may vomit. Attack the basket!

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 10:04 PM
An icy winter: It's a shame that the White Sox no longer train in Sarasota, Fla., where they regularly played four to six exhibitions against Minnesota. These rivals can't wait until April 25, when they'll first face each other.

This kills me because my father-in-law justed moved to Sarasota a few months ago & my wife is trying to get me to head down there next month. :whiner:

Ventura23Fan
02-10-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by mike squires

Although I am not ready to give up on the Hoosiers for this season, I am not as optimistic as you are about their future prospects. IMO, the only really good player IU has recruited in the past couple of years is Bracey Wright. How in the heck were they not able to land Sean May? And of the recruiting classes for next year, Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois were listed as the best in the Big Ten. I also saw a player that IU extended an offer to chose DePaul instead. Once Bob Knight's players are gone I think the Hoosiers will be an average Big Ten team, if not worse.

DustyIsOverated1
02-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Rosenbloom is the the most negative writer for chicago sports. He is a class A blowhard

gogosoxgogo
02-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
Rosenbloom is the the most negative writer for chicago sports. He is a class A blowhard

You're obviously forgetting Mariotti.

dougs78
02-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
Although I am not ready to give up on the Hoosiers for this season, I am not as optimistic as you are about their future prospects. IMO, the only really good player IU has recruited in the past couple of years is Bracey Wright. How in the heck were they not able to land Sean May? And of the recruiting classes for next year, Michigan, Michigan State, and Illinois were listed as the best in the Big Ten. I also saw a player that IU extended an offer to chose DePaul instead. Once Bob Knight's players are gone I think the Hoosiers will be an average Big Ten team, if not worse.

I think you are forgetting about Jared Jeffries and Marshall Strickland. But either way, I don't think there is much of an argument here....Mike Davis can CLEARLY recruit better players than Knight did. Even Knight himself said last year that he had more talent at TT then he did at IU. Thats saying something about the lack of talent he drew to IU.

Watch the spring signing period. IU will get 1-2 big guys...at least one of them will be a JUCO. I think they will be fine in the near future.

Ventura23Fan
02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I think you are forgetting about Jared Jeffries and Marshall Strickland. But either way, I don't think there is much of an argument here....Mike Davis can CLEARLY recruit better players than Knight did. Even Knight himself said last year that he had more talent at TT then he did at IU. Thats saying something about the lack of talent he drew to IU.

Watch the spring signing period. IU will get 1-2 big guys...at least one of them will be a JUCO. I think they will be fine in the near future.

Although I don't think he ever played for Knight, I'm almost positive Bobby was still the coach there when Jeffries signed with IU. And the only categories where Strickland ranks in the top 25 in the Big Ten are 3 Pt % and FT %, and he doesn't have very many attempts at either.

I think you are underestimating the draw of Knight. Dee Brown was Illinois Mr. Basketball last year and a McDonalds All-American. He is currently leading the Big Ten in assists. He wears no. 11 because Isaiah (sp?) Thomas is his idol. He stated in an article last year that if Bob Knight were still at Indiana, he most likely would have gone there. It's not surprising to me that Knight is having an easier time recruiting at TT. That state is where most of the good players have been found the past couple of years. Bracey Wright is from there. Illinois has 2 freshman from there and has another coming next season (I'm an Illini fan by the way).

I think Davis is a good coach. 2 years ago he took Indiana to the Big Ten championship game. Last year he tied for the regular season championship and led the team to the NCAA final game. But he cannot recruit for whatever reason. If you check out the recruiting section at ESPN.com, there are 0 Indiana recruits in the top 100 overall and 0 Indiana recruits in the top 20 at any position. Even Valpo and Ball State had at least one recruit listed.