PDA

View Full Version : Sox 03 Schedule

Lip Man 1
02-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Gang:

I finally had a chance to take a close look at the 2003 Sox schedule and wanted to pass along some thoughts or things that I noticed. (in no particular order)

1. The first 22 games of the season are all against teams with a losing record from last season. I know some folks have already stated some pretty high Sox win totals for this stretch HOWEVER keep in mind that the odds of the Sox actually PLAYING all 22 games are long. In April you are going to get bad weather. I'd bet at least two are rained or snowed out.

2. The Sox have 15 home games BEFORE May 1st. That's almost 19% of the home schedule gone in usually bad weather BEFORE the kids get out of school.

3. From April 25 through May 11 the Sox play 15 straight games against teams with a winning record last year. (Twins, A's, Mariners)

4. This is unbelieveable! The Sox have a FOURTEEN GAME ROAD TRIP! They play 14 games in 14 days at Toronto, Cleveland, Arizona and Los Angeles. This may be the longest Sox road trip since the 50's! (when road trips like this were common!)

5. Oh by the way the interleague games this year are against the N.L. West. Great...the Sox got to face Johnson, Schilling, Brown, and some pretty good Giant pitchers.

6. This could be VERY IMPORTANT IF the race between the Sox and Twins is as close as people expect. The Sox play six games against a much improved (on paper) Cubs team while the Twins play six games against the BREWERS!

7. Coming off the interleague games the Sox plow right into a stretch of 16 straight games against the Red Sox, Cubs and Twins.

8. HOW SCREWED UP IS THIS? THE SOX HAVE NO HOME GAMES ON ANY OF THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS! That's right the Sox are in Toronto for Memorial Day, in Tampa for the 4th of July and are OFF on Labor Day! (Between all those April games and NO holiday games what is that going to do to the attendence?)

9. The Sox are on a nine game road trip right before the All Star break. The last home game BEFORE the break is July 2. They don't play another home game until July 17!

10. From August 11 through August 28 the Sox play 17 straight games against the Angels, Rangers (who should be improved) and the Yankees.

11. In September the Sox play ten straight games against the Red Sox and Twins, from September 8 through September 18.

12. Finally the Yankees don't come to Chicago UNTIL September 24! This may be good though for the Sox. By then New York should have clinched their division and may be resting their "regulars."

Overall this schedule must have been designed by the Marquis de Sade! and what moron in the Sox organization APPROVED IT?

Lip

Chisox_cali
02-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

5. Oh by the way the interleague games this year are against the N.L. West. Great...the Sox got to face Johnson, Schilling, Brown, and some pretty good Giant pitchers.

I really doubt that Kevin Brown will be pitching come June, I'm sure he'll be on the DL, with back or shoulder problems, but If he is pitching I don't think he'll be as good as Schilling or Johnson

doctor30th
02-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Well unfortunately I don't think any organization gets to approve there schedule, if they did, it would be a scheduling nightmare with the amount of times teams would send the schedules back.

And I noticed that once again the White Sox open the season on the road. I don't even know the last time the Sox had a home opener, if someone wants to refresh my memory.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Gang:

I finally had a chance to take a close look at the 2003 Sox schedule and wanted to pass along some thoughts or things that I noticed. (in no particular order)

1. The first 22 games of the season are all against teams with a losing record from last season. I know some folks have already stated some pretty high Sox win totals for this stretch HOWEVER keep in mind that the odds of the Sox actually PLAYING all 22 games are long. In April you are going to get bad weather. I'd bet at least two are rained or snowed out.

2. The Sox have 15 home games BEFORE May 1st. That's almost 19% of the home schedule gone in usually bad weather BEFORE the kids get out of school.

3. From April 25 through May 11 the Sox play 15 straight games against teams with a winning record last year. (Twins, A's, Mariners)

4. This is unbelieveable! The Sox have a FOURTEEN GAME ROAD TRIP! They play 14 games in 14 days at Toronto, Cleveland, Arizona and Los Angeles. This may be the longest Sox road trip since the 50's! (when road trips like this were common!)

6. This could be VERY IMPORTANT IF the race between the Sox and Twins is as close as people expect. The Sox play six games against a much improved (on paper) Cubs team while the Twins play six games against the BREWERS!

7. Coming off the interleague games the Sox plow right into a stretch of 16 straight games against the Red Sox, Cubs and Twins.

8. HOW SCREWED UP IS THIS? THE SOX HAVE NO HOME GAMES ON ANY OF THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS! That's right the Sox are in Toronto for Memorial Day, in Tampa for the 4th of July and are OFF on Labor Day! (Between all those April games and NO holiday games what is that going to do to the attendence?)

9. The Sox are on a nine game road trip right before the All Star break. The last home game BEFORE the break is July 2. They don't play another home game until July 17!

10. From August 11 through August 28 the Sox play 17 straight games against the Angels, Rangers (who should be improved) and the Yankees.

11. In September the Sox play ten straight games against the Red Sox and Twins, from September 8 through September 18.

12. Finally the Yankees don't come to Chicago UNTIL September 24! This may be good though for the Sox. By then New York should have clinched their division and may be resting their "regulars."

Overall this schedule must have been designed by the Marquis de Sade! and what moron in the Sox organization APPROVED IT?

Lip
Uh i dont really see anything abnormal....

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Gang:

Great we get the NL West, but no trip to Coors. :whiner:

Looking at the Minnesota schedule, I noticed that the Twinkies have 7 games against us, in their last 20 of the season. The other 13...6 against CLE, 7 against DET.

The Sox better take care of MIN down the stretch!

SoxxoS
02-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Just because we face the N.L. west, doesn't mean we face good pitching. We can easily see Dessens, Patterson and Batista (or Kim if he is starting) in the 3 game set with the D'Backs. Kevin Brown probably wont be around by June, so I am not too worried about him. Frisco's pitching staff doesn't impress me one bit, especially with the loss of Ortiz. All in all I am not worried about facing the N.L. west in interleague play.
Now, if we faced the N.L. East, i.e. the Braves, Mets and Phillies that would be a problem. The N.L. west I am not worried about.

Also, if you remember, the Twins had an extremely easy schedule for the month of April. I remember posting on a couple of occasions "not to panic" b/c the Twins have played such a weak schedule. Next thing you know they are celebrating an A.L. central victory.

There is nothing anyone can do about the schedule. The season is too long for everything not to essentially even out. You don't know which pitchers you are facing, and if the team is on a losing streak, injuries...etc. No worries!

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Just because we face the N.L. west, doesn't mean we face good pitching. We can easily see Dessens, Patterson and Batista (or Kim if he is starting) in the 3 game set with the D'Backs. Kevin Brown probably wont be around by June, so I am not too worried about him. Frisco's pitching staff doesn't impress me one bit, especially with the loss of Ortiz. All in all I am not worried about facing the N.L. west in interleague play.
Now, if we faced the N.L. East, i.e. the Braves, Mets and Phillies that would be a problem. The N.L. west I am not worried about.

Also, if you remember, the Twins had an extremely easy schedule for the month of April. I remember posting on a couple of occasions "not to panic" b/c the Twins have played such a weak schedule. Next thing you know they are celebrating an A.L. central victory.

There is nothing anyone can do about the schedule. The season is too long for everything not to essentially even out. You don't know which pitchers you are facing, and if the team is on a losing streak, injuries...etc. No worries!

E
X
A
C
T
L
Y

koch44
02-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Gang:

Oh by the way the interleague games this year are against the N.L. West. Great...the Sox got to face Johnson, Schilling, Brown, and some pretty good Giant pitchers.

Lip

Yeah, but they get to face Buehrle, and Colon.:)

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by koch44
Yeah, but they get to face Buehrle, and Colon.:)

I dunno, this whole thread is pointless. Noone is out to get us and everyone has good and bad points within their schedule. Some people just do their best to seek out the negative.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Gang:

You don't consider the Sox at home for ANY summer holidays abnormal?

You consider a 14 game road trip normal??

and for the person who asked the question the last time the Sox opened at home was in 1990 for the last season at Comiskey Park.

and YES teams DO have input into the schedule. The Sox organization deliberately requests as few home games as possible in April because of the extremely bad weather. I can't recall the last time the Sox had 15 home games before May 1st. I can look through the schedules if anybody wants to know for sure. (I have every Sox schedule from 1966 on)

I know every team has their complaints and I'm not saying somebody is out to "get" the Sox...what I AM saying is that this schedule as constucted is pretty strange (again unless anybody can show me another team on a 14 game road trip) stranger then what passes for normal these days.

Lip

Lip

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 02:05 AM
BMR says: "this whole thread is pointless"

Lip asks: "Then why did you read it?"

Lip

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Gang:

You don't consider the Sox at home for ANY summer holidays abnormal?

You consider a 14 game road trip normal??

and for the person who asked the question the last time the Sox opened at home was in 1990 for the last season at Comiskey Park.

and YES teams DO have input into the schedule. The Sox organization deliberately requests as few home games as possible in April because of the extremely bad weather. I can't recall the last time the Sox had 15 home games before May 1st. I can look through the schedules if anybody wants to know for sure. (I have every Sox schedule from 1966 on)

I know every team has their complaints and I'm not saying somebody is out to "get" the Sox...what I AM saying is that this schedule as constucted is pretty strange (again unless anybody can show me another team on a 14 game road trip) stranger then what passes for normal these days.

Lip

Lip

The Angels are on the road for every holiday...no 14-game road trip, though. They do have a string of 12 in a row away. They are the 1st team I looked at (alphabetically).

Vsahajpal
02-09-2003, 07:42 AM

Lip

Lip

The Cubs have a 14 game road trip in May. In fact, they play 20 games in a row without an off day.

The Red Sox have a 13 game roadie in June.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
The Cubs have a 14 game road trip in May. In fact, they play 20 games in a row without an off day.

The Red Sox have a 13 game roadie in June.

Ahhh evidence, lol. Like i said, nothing abnormal.

kevingrt
02-09-2003, 11:04 AM

This is the only thing I really see absurb by the MLB. Think we go from Toronto to Cleveland is a 2-3 hour plane ride. Then Cleveland to Arizona is a 3-4 hour trip. And lastly, Arizona to Los Angelos is somewhere around an hour. So that is around 7 hours of plane ride in 14 days. That is insane. If we can come out of this trip .500 or above, we might really win the AL Central and ALCS. This might be an early telling road-trip to see how we do throughout the season.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 01:47 PM
Bob Vanderberg brought up some intersting thoughts on the schedule that I didn't consider. he makes some good points in this e-mail:

Yes, it sure doesn't help their attendance, does it? Instead of the Giants series being at home on the weekend, they get them Tuesday thru Thursday, and then the mighty Padres come in for the weekend ..........and instead of getting 35,000 three straight nights against the Yankees in, say, June, July or August, the Sox get to play the Yanks Tuesday-Thursday for the last home series of the year, and will draw 12-13,000 each night.................

Lip

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Bob Vanderberg brought up some intersting thoughts on the schedule that I didn't consider. he makes some good points in this e-mail:

Yes, it sure doesn't help their attendance, does it? Instead of the Giants series being at home on the weekend, they get them Tuesday thru Thursday, and then the mighty Padres come in for the weekend ..........and instead of getting 35,000 three straight nights against the Yankees in, say, June, July or August, the Sox get to play the Yanks Tuesday-Thursday for the last home series of the year, and will draw 12-13,000 each night.................

Lip

I don't know, this can go both ways. IF the Sox are winning, weekend games will eventually sell regardless of who's in town. Having draws like the Giants & Yankees during the week makes it easier for people to drag themselves out on work nights, than if the Padres were in town.

I'll guarantee more than 12-13,000 a night for that last series vs. the Yankees.

kevingrt
02-09-2003, 02:44 PM
We got more then 12,000-13,000 last year when the Yankees were here from Monday thru Wednesday :angry: . Truly the most disappointing series of the year, and the season changing series! But that is for another topic and another board!

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 05:14 PM
The key point here is the timing of the Yankees series.

If something is at stake for the Sox sure they'll draw more then 12 - 13 thousand, but if the Sox have already clinched or if they are already eliminated that's a very real possibility.

Also in late September at night, the evenings can get mighty cool which is another reason the attendence could be low.

And for that matter if the Yankees have already clinched you could be looking at a lineup with guys like Juan Rivera and Luis Soho playing instead of Derek Jeter and Jason Giambi.

I'm also curious as to WHERE the Giants are going for that weekend series...wouldn't surprise me if it was Milwaukee (nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)

Lip