PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers On WSI Pitching Controversy

Lip Man 1
02-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Folks:

I had the chance to communicate with Phil Rogers of the Tribune today. We had a nice conversation and I thought I'd pass along some of his thoughts on the great WSI Rogers vs. Rauch controversy.

First off as many of you know, Phil is a registered member here at WSI and often participates on the message threads.

Phil commented today on how knowledgeable the fans are here at WSI and he enjoyed reading their thoughts on the pitching staff.

He mentioned a few points that might influence what you think.

Phil said that he knows Kenny Rogers and has seen him for a number of seasons, even with his flaws, he feels he can still pitch and help the Sox.

He said that Sox fans need to remember the Twins had a LOSING record last year against left handers. Right now the only Sox lefty is Buehrle. Rogers is also left handed.

And he said he was VERY surprised that NO ONE in any of the message threads mentioned his column where he stated that unless Rauch pitches "lights out" in the spring, the 5th starting job is going to Esteban Loazia. (Unless the Sox sign or trade for another left hander) I'm assuming that Phil must have had some type of confirmation of that from someone in the Sox organization.

He also felt that it would not hurt Rauch at all to spend another year in Triple A.

Just FYI

Lip

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

I had the chance to communicate with Phil Rogers of the Tribune today. We had a nice conversation and I thought I'd pass along some of his thoughts on the great WSI Rogers vs. Rauch controversy.

First off as many of you know, Phil is a registered member here at WSI and often participates on the message threads.

Phil commented today on how knowledgeable the fans are here at WSI and he enjoyed reading their thoughts on the pitching staff.

Phil said that he knows Kenny Rogers and has seen him for a number of seasons, even with his flaws, he feels he can still pitch and help the Sox.

He said that Sox fans need to remember the Twins had a LOSING record last year against left handers. Right now the only Sox lefty is Buehrle. Rogers is also left handed.

And he said he was VERY surprised that NO ONE in any of the message threads mentioned his column where he stated that unless Rauch pitches "lights out" in the spring, the 5th starting job is going to Esteban Loazia. (Unless the Sox sign or trade for another left hander) I'm assuming that Phil must have had some type of confirmation of that from someone in the Sox organization.

He also felt that it would not hurt Rauch at all to spend another year in Triple A.

Just FYI

Lip

Wow tell Phil thanks for all those startling revelations.

chunk
02-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Wow tell Phil thanks for all those startling revelations
Reading what Lip wrote, you could tell Phil yourself if you tried, unless you are Rogers and I'm just making an ass of myself. Btw, what is Mr. Rogers name here anyway?

Unregistered
02-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by chunk
Wow tell Phil thanks for all those startling revelations
Reading what Lip wrote, you could tell Phil yourself if you tried, unless you are Rogers and I'm just making an ass of myself. Btw, what is Mr. Rogers name here anyway? It should be kinda obvious what his name is, chunk...

voodoochile
02-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
It should be kinda obvious what his name is, chunk...

Yeah, look around a bit, you really can't miss him if you pay attention...

hold2dibber
02-09-2003, 12:50 AM
Folks:

Just FYI

Lip

I'm sure Phil has his sources, but I still think this is a little simplistic. I mean, what if Loaiza absolutely gets shelled in S.T. and Rauch is at least okay? If Loaiza puts up a 11.59 ERA and Rauch checks in at 5.00? I like the idea of competition, but I think annointing Esteban friggin' Loaiza the front runner is nuts. He was not good last year. Let the best man win. Its hard for me to imagine that the Sox would just give him the job, regardless of what he does in S.T., unless Rauch lights it up.

And even if the Sox were to bring in Kenny Rogers (which is looking more and more unlikely, IMHO) I still would hope that there'd be some competition for the last few spots in the rotation. The point is to put the best 5 guys out there, I would think.

hose
02-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Folks:

Just FYI

Lip

Loazia is coming off a mediocre year with a 5.71 era and his career totals are nothing more than a righthanded batting practice pitcher. Terrible hits/per inning and very high era's.

I agree that Rauch needs to WIN the 5th spot, but Loazia ?!?

I think some off the other pitchers Phil Rogers has mentioned like Arnie Munoz could figure in the mix.

I am all for Kenny Rogers, but his agent is Scott Boros who has a long standing fued with Jerry Reinsdorf, which in itself smells like a deal killer.

KW already mentioned at Sox Fest when asked about possibly signing Chuck Finley that the club has only $300,000 left in the budget .

I am aware that Phil Rogers is a WSI member and keep an eye out for his posts. I also read him at ESPN.com and of course the Tribune.....very good baseball writer.

SI1020
02-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Well I'm not an "expert" on anything but if Loiaza is the 5th starter then I hope the Sox score 7 or 8 runs every time he pitches. They'll need every one of them. MLB is pitching thin and this is one shining example. Loiaza will remind you of former Sox greats Jaime Navarro and Todd Ritchie.

baggio202
02-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by SI1020
Well I'm not an "expert" on anything but if Loiaza is the 5th starter then I hope the Sox score 7 or 8 runs every time he pitches. They'll need every one of them. MLB is pitching thin and this is one shining example. Loiaza will remind you of former Sox greats Jaime Navarro and Todd Ritchie.

if loiaza wins the 5th spot then im asking for a tryout..no one hits my 55 mph sinker!!!!!!!!!!!

A.T. Money
02-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Where are ya Phil....come out come out! :cool:

idseer
02-09-2003, 12:04 PM
It should be kinda obvious what his name is, chunk...

maybe it should be ... but it's not!

why all the cloak and dagger? if it's so obvious, why not just tell us dummies?

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by idseer

It's the one that starts "progers." Hope that helps.

idseer
02-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
It's the one that starts "progers." Hope that helps.

lol

ok i looked in members under the p's but neglected to notice there was a page 2. :D:

and thanks!

voodoochile
02-09-2003, 02:12 PM

There were a few reasons not to make this public knowledge, IMO.

1)Internet message boards are intended to be annonymous for the users. Blowing someone's cover by telling the world who they are violates the very essence of this communication medium, IMO.

2)By telling everyone who he is, WSI risks having this message board turn into "Ask Phil Rogers" whenever he is here. That is not the intended purpose, nor is it fair to Phil himself.

3)Having members of the media post here (Les Grobstein and Phil) is part of what makes this such a cool website. By "Outing" them, we risk losing them.

Taking all of that into consideration, I hope people will compose themselves accordingly when "celebrities" come a calling. Thank You in advance. Yes, I know the answer has already been posted, I am merely hoping to remind people to treat all of our posters with respect and not make them feel uncomfortable just because they happen to be "somebody"...

Brian26
02-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
There were a few reasons not to make this public knowledge, IMO.1)Internet message boards are intended to be annonymous for the users. Blowing someone's cover by telling the world who they are violates the very essence of this communication medium, IMO.

Umm, but Phil signed up with the name progers. If he wanted to be anonymous, he could have tried harder than that!

WhiteSox = Life
02-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Right, but some people (myself included) didn't even notice the connection until Lip mentioned Phil Rogers posted on WSI and Torn Labrum gave his screen name.

jeremyb1
02-09-2003, 04:09 PM
i think loaiza should have to beat out rauch in order to win the fifth starter's spot. rauch is 24, the same age as buehrle and a year older than garland. its not as though he's incredibly young anymore. if he can contribute he shouldn't spend the entire season at AAA.

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i think loaiza should have to beat out rauch in order to win the fifth starter's spot. rauch is 24, the same age as buehrle and a year older than garland. its not as though he's incredibly young anymore. if he can contribute he shouldn't spend the entire season at AAA.

I think they should have to beat out each other. You shouldn't guarentee that 5th spot to anyone, and say others have to beat him out. Give to the best person possible. If that is Heredia, I don't care, but whoever does the best should be given that spot.

Unregistered
02-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
There were a few reasons not to make this public knowledge, IMO.

1)Internet message boards are intended to be annonymous for the users. Blowing someone's cover by telling the world who they are violates the very essence of this communication medium, IMO.

2)By telling everyone who he is, WSI risks having this message board turn into "Ask Phil Rogers" whenever he is here. That is not the intended purpose, nor is it fair to Phil himself.

3)Having members of the media post here (Les Grobstein and Phil) is part of what makes this such a cool website. By "Outing" them, we risk losing them.

Taking all of that into consideration, I hope people will compose themselves accordingly when "celebrities" come a calling. Thank You in advance. Yes, I know the answer has already been posted, I am merely hoping to remind people to treat all of our posters with respect and not make them feel uncomfortable just because they happen to be "somebody"... I completely agree with voodoo here... it was pretty obvious to anyone who actually payed attention to the member name combined with the degree of knowledge in the posts, and i distinctly remember a WSI member asking ''are you phil rogers of the tribune?'' in one of his posts a couple months ago (to which there was no reply, obviously), and thats when i figured the cat was out of the bag... in either case, i hope this doesn't deter Phil from posting on WSI in the future. it IS certainly one of the things that makes this site what it is... i hope we can all be mature enough not to fill his message box with inane questions and hound him after any posts he might decide to write.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Umm, but Phil signed up with the name progers. If he wanted to be anonymous, he could have tried harder than that!

And isn't the Grobber's nickname something like "Grobber"?

Unregistered
02-09-2003, 05:24 PM
And isn't the Grobber's nickname something like "Grobber"? Nah, I think its "GOcubbies21" :D:

kermittheefrog
02-09-2003, 05:25 PM
I'm sure Phil will keep posting as long as no one is a jerk about it. And if he doesn't, whats the difference really? I know I won't cry a river. He isn't an integral and obvious part of the WSI message board community or anything.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'm sure Phil will keep posting as long as no one is a jerk about it. And if he doesn't, whats the difference really? I know I won't cry a river. He isn't an integral and obvious part of the WSI message board community or anything.

And despite common thinking, sports media people do not know anymore about sports than we do. He types words, yippee.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
And despite common thinking, sports media people do not know anymore about sports than we do. He types words, yippee.

Yeah, but there's a reason why he's employed by a major daily and we're not. He types words better than we do.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Yeah, but there's a reason why he's employed by a major daily and we're not. He types words better than we do.

Maybe, maybe not. The real reason he does that is it is what he chose to do. Are you telling me you do not think you can do his job? If not, you lack confidence in yourself.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Maybe, maybe not. The real reason he does that is it is what he chose to do. Are you telling me you do not think you can do his job? If not, you lack confidence in yourself.

I have enough trouble trying to find something to write roughly 500 words about each week or so here, let alone worry about writing it well. So no, I don't think I could do his job.

Brian26
02-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Gospel, BMR.

I have a master's degree in engineering, and my job is very fulfilling. I never intended to go into journalism or communications. I've seen garbage printed in the mainstream press that could have been written by a high schooler. There's no doubt in my mind that many of us here could do a pretty damn good job in that area if we had the time or didn't mind the pay cut.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Gospel, BMR.

I have a master's degree in engineering, and my job is very fulfilling. I never intended to go into journalism or communications. I've seen garbage printed in the mainstream press that could have been written by a high schooler. There's no doubt in my mind that many of us here could do a pretty damn good job in that area if we had the time or didn't mind the pay cut.

With proper training and confidence, anything is possible. Writing a sports column is not difficult.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Gospel, BMR.

That's BS, plain and simple. Writing isn't easy. Writing under a deadline is even harder. It takes a special person to be able to do that.

Saying you could quit your engineering job and write as well as any sports columnist in Chicago is just like saying that if you had the time to devote to it, you could hit as well as Barry Bonds.

First of all, you have to be able to express your thoughts coherently. Then you have to be able to do it while limited to a certain amount of column space. Then you have to be able to do it under a deadline several times a week. And finally, you have to be interesting while doing it.

If you think I'm blowing smoke, just remember I try to put out 500 or so words for the Fallen Arches column once a week for this web site. It isn't easy. And my work is nowhere near the quality of any of the local sports columnists. And I always got As for my writing, even in college.

Just doing that has given me a lot more respect for those who do it for a living.

If you don't think it is, put yourself under the goals I've selected for myself. Write a column once a week for WSI. Limit each column to 500-1000 words. See how long it takes you to understand that people who do it for a living are just as good at what they do as you are at what you do, and you couldn't do their job any more than they could do yours.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:03 PM
That's BS, plain and simple. Writing isn't easy. Writing under a deadline is even harder. It takes a special person to be able to do that.

Saying you could quit your engineering job and write as well as any sports columnist in Chicago is just like saying that if you had the time to devote to it, you could hit as well as Barry Bonds.

First of all, you have to be able to express your thoughts coherently. Then you have to be able to do it while limited to a certain amount of column space. Then you have to be able to do it under a deadline several times a week. And finally, you have to be interesting while doing it.

If you think I'm blowing smoke, just remember I try to put out 500 or so words for the Fallen Arches column once a week for this web site. It isn't easy. And my work is nowhere near the quality of any of the local sports columnists. And I always got As for my writing, even in college.

Just doing that has given me a lot more respect for those who do it for a living.

If you don't think it is, put yourself under the goals I've selected for myself. Write a column once a week for WSI. Limit each column to 500-1000 words. See how long it takes you to understand that people who do it for a living are just as good at what they do as you are at what you do, and you couldn't do their job any more than they could do yours.

Hmmm yeah noone else has deadlines. LOL, give me a break.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Ah yes, here we go with the "anybody can do the job in broadcasting or the newspapers" line of thinking again.

That makes as much sense as myself saying that I can be an engineer, or run a hotel.

Believe it or not folks, these men and women WORK for a living. Many of them have to juggle outrageous schedules to do what they do (which is why the divorce rate in the media is pretty high).

I'm not saying they are all geniuses but having walked in their shoes on a smaller level (I once had to work 28 straight days on TV when my boss had an operation in 83 and I'm not talking about six hours a day either) I can tell you it's not as easy as it looks.

Just because you disagree with what they write or say doesn't mean "anybody" can do their job.

And I disagree with Andrew. Part of what makes this site what it is are individuals who have intimate knowledge of things that we can only imagine. The fact that they think enough of this site to actually spend some time here is worth a lot more then you think. Not only does it give this site more credibility but we often are privy to things before the general public because of it.

Let's put it this way (and I'm sorry if I offend anybody, I don't mean to) hearing something from Paul Sullivan, Phil Rogers or even that Cub fan Les Grobstein means more to me then some individual in Podunk, Arkansas giving me reams of statistics on who hits best in day games against pitchers who's last name starts with M.

For better or for worse, like them or not, these folks are doing something most of us would give our right arm for. Obviously we are all sports fans or we wouldn't spend as much time here as we do.

All Voodoo is asking is that you give them some common courtesy. By nature of their professional position and the good it does to the site that's not very much to ask. If that's something that you don't think you can do, then in my opinion, this site is better off without you... as opposed to them.

Lip

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Ah yes, here we go with the "anybody can do the job in broadcasting or the newspapers" line of thinking again.

That makes as much sense as myself saying that I can be an engineer, or run a hotel.

Believe it or not folks, these men and women WORK for a living. Many of them have to juggle outrageous schedules to do what they do (which is why the divorce rate in the media is pretty high).

I'm not saying they are all geniuses but having walked in their shoes on a smaller level (I once had to work 28 straight days on TV when my boss had an operation in 83 and I'm not talking about six hours a day either) I can tell you it's not as easy as it looks.

Just because you disagree with what they write or say doesn't mean "anybody" can do their job.

And I disagree with Andrew. Part of what makes this site what it is are individuals who have intimate knowledge of things that we can only imagine. The fact that they think enough of this site to actually spend some time here is worth a lot more then you think. Not only does it give this site more credibility but we often are privy to things before the general public because of it.

Let's put it this way (and I'm sorry if I offend anybody, I don't mean to) hearing something from Paul Sullivan, Phil Rogers or even that Cub fan Les Grobstein means more to me then some individual in Podunk, Arkansas giving me reams of statistics on who hits best in day games against pitchers who's last name starts with M.

For better or for worse, like them or not, these folks are doing something most of us would give our right arm for. Obviously we are all sports fans or we wouldn't spend as much time here as we do.

All Voodoo is asking is that you give them some common courtesy. By nature of their professional position and the good it does to the site that's not very much to ask. If that's something that you don't think you can do, then in my opinion, this site is better off without you... as opposed to them.

Lip

LOL, don't project your failed dreams upon us. If i dedicated my life to writing, i would excel.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Hmmm yeah noone else has deadlines. LOL, give me a break.

Interesting the one point that you chose to emphasize. I assume that means you actually believe you could write 4-5 columns per week of aroudn 1000 words and be interesting while doing it.

It's a lot different posting and responding on message boards than it is to actually come up with an idea and write coherently (let alone interestingly) about it, and to get those words out by a deadline. You seem to have neglected the part about it being coherent and interesting.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Interesting the one point that you chose to emphasize. I assume that means you actually believe you could write 4-5 columns per week of aroudn 1000 words and be interesting while doing it.

It's a lot different posting and responding on message boards than it is to actually come up with an idea and write coherently (let alone interestingly) about it, and to get those words out by a deadline. You seem to have neglected the part about it being coherent and interesting.

LOL, ohhhh i think i have the "interesting" part covered..... :)

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 06:17 PM
LOL, ohhhh i think i have the "interesting" part covered..... :)

That, as they say, is a matter of opinion.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Yes BMR you're a genius...we can all see that by your postings.

Just another know it all who feels he can do anything better then everybody else.

I have a lot of faults but arrogance isn't one of them.

Let me know the next time you appear in Forbes as one of the richest men in America then I'll know that you are what you think you are.

I guess it's to much to ask for common courtesy in South Texas.

Lip

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:21 PM
That, as they say, is a matter of opinion.

Yes, and the only opinion that counts is my own.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Yes BMR you're a genius...we can all see that by your postings.

Just another know it all who feels he can do anything better then everybody else.

I have a lot of faults but arrogance isn't one of them.

Let me know the next time you appear in Forbes as one of the richest men in America then I'll know that you are what you think you are.

I guess it's to much to ask for common courtesy in South Texas.

Lip

I never said i could do ANYTHING better than everybody, let alone everything. I said i could DO anything, with proper training. I am sorry that you do not feel the same about yourself.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Yes, and the only opinion that counts is my own.

When you're writing a column, the important opinion is that of the readers, and probably more importantly, your editor. Your own opinion of your own stuff doesn't mean diddly in the real world.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:26 PM
When you're writing a column, the important opinion is that of the readers, and probably more importantly, your editor. Your own opinion of your own stuff doesn't mean diddly in the real world.

Oh really? Than how does any human being become successful? I think you will find the common theme is belief in yourself.

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Oh really? Than how does any human being become successful? I think you will find the common theme is belief in yourself. What does believing in yourself have to do with whether or not what you are writing is interesting?

progers0826
02-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Ah, heck, please stop fighting. It is an easy job and I'm lucky to have it. Now pass the sunscreen and ... oh, dang, where did I put those new Titleist Pro-V1s? It's time to head to Florida for a couple weeks, then on to see actual hardball being played in Arizona. You guys crack me up.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by progers0826
Ah, heck, please stop fighting. It is an easy job and I'm lucky to have it. Now pass the sunscreen and ... oh, dang, where did I put those new Titleist Pro-V1s? It's time to head to Florida for a couple weeks, then on to see actual hardball being played in Arizona. You guys crack me up.

LOL, told ya.....

chunk
02-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Its pretty cool that he's here, cause it really gives the board some legitimacy to the debates. You know, so its not just fans talking, its fans and cool sports journalists talking.

EnricoPallazzo
02-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Jeez, all this bickering and talk of self confidence! It's like a cross between Jerry Springer and Oprah. (and don't be callin' Progers Dr. Phil) He already faces the glum prospect of missing part of February in Chicago.

More to the point, if Loaiza is or Rauch is the 5th starter I will be disappointed. Rauch isn't ready yet and Loaiza never will be.

Unregistered
02-09-2003, 08:27 PM
how does any human being become successful? I think you will find the common theme is belief in yourself. [CUE PIANO. Bmr31 enters stage left.] Uh oh, i think i feel a showtune coming on... :D:

kermittheefrog
02-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Its pretty cool that he's here, cause it really gives the board some legitimacy to the debates. You know, so its not just fans talking, its fans and cool sports journalists talking.

Yeah, your opinion is only legitimate if you work in the media.

upnorthsox
02-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Phil what does the 0826 stand for? Anniversary? I know the wife would let me on the Sox boards more often that way. :smile:

upnorthsox
02-09-2003, 09:13 PM
On an on topic ????? I prefer Rauch at 5 but I've wanted a Loaiza type to come in, challenge him and provide some depth esp with our dearth of major league ready starters at AAA. But now that we have him, I'm wondering even though he signed a minor league contract, as a player with 6 yrs of service time does he have to accept a minor league assignment? If not, then I can see why they'd be leaning to send Rauch down.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 09:24 PM

And how is that?

kermittheefrog
02-09-2003, 09:53 PM
And how is that?

I don't find Phil Rogers particularly cool myself especially considering how ridiculously one sided he is when it comes to labor issues. It's like Phil is Bud Selig's outlet to the media.

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Its pretty cool that he's here, cause it really gives the board some legitimacy to the debates. You know, so its not just fans talking, its fans and cool sports journalists talking .
And how is that?
Yeah, your opinion is only legitimate if you work in the media .

I don't know that it gives more legitimacy to the debates here or not. It does show that the WSI boards are taken far more seriously than your average sports-fan message board. It's nice to know that members of the media actually value the opinions of Sox fans here enough to register as members & become a part of these discussions.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Andrew says:

Well considering the fact that they see the game, talk to the players, managers, general managers and in some cases owners, it counts for a hell of a lot more then those of us who sit at home and THINK we know the game. (and I'm including myself in that last sentence!)

Lip

idseer
02-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Oh really? Than how does any human being become successful? I think you will find the common theme is belief in yourself.

you can believe in yourself all day long, that won't cause you to be successful. maybe you watch too much sesame street bmr.

if you have no talent in your chosen field you will not succeed.
just because you appreciate and even have good taste in music doesn't mean you can ever be a musician does it?
writing is a special talent. i know because i've tried. but writing continually with deadlines and such? that takes someone born to write.

even if you don't like what they write .... give the devil his due.

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 10:36 PM
[CUE PIANO. Bmr31 enters stage left.] Uh oh, i think i feel a showtune coming on... :D:

Yeah, this is starting to sound like "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."

I belieeeeve in yooooouuuuu...."

TornLabrum
02-09-2003, 10:42 PM
you can believe in yourself all day long, that won't cause you to be successful. maybe you watch too much sesame street bmr.

just because you appreciate and even have good taste in music doesn't mean you can ever be a musician does it?
writing is a special talent. i know because i've tried. but writing continually with deadlines and such? that takes someone born to write.

Speaking from the podium of my real job:

There was a period back in the '80s in the field of education in which it the development of self esteem began to take precedence over actually learning anything. That way people could sound like idiots because they possessed no actual knowledge of anything, but they'd feel good about themselves. I think we've enountered our first example of this school of thought in this thread.

kermittheefrog
02-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Andrew says:

Well considering the fact that they see the game, talk to the players, managers, general managers and in some cases owners, it counts for a hell of a lot more then those of us who sit at home and THINK we know the game. (and I'm including myself in that last sentence!)

Lip

Some members of the media clearly don't benefit from all those baseball contacts. For just one example I don't think you'd be hard pressed to find a baseball writer who doesn't understand the value of a walk.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 10:52 PM

Considering you do not use capital letters...........ah nevermind lol.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Some members of the media clearly don't benefit from all those baseball contacts. For just one example I don't think you'd be hard pressed to find a baseball writer who doesn't understand the value of a walk.

Kermie dont bother, theyre clueless.

idseer
02-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Kermie dont bother, theyre clueless.

the irony here is that all you got out of my post was the fact i'm no typist and choose not to hold any extra keys when i type.

you define clueless bmr.

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 11:11 PM
the irony here is that all you got out of my post was the fact i'm no typist and choose not to hold any extra keys when i do.

you define clueless bmr.

Now, now settle down.... :gulp:

34rancher
02-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Now, now settle down.... :gulp:

Settling down? Somehow that doesn't sound like us. :D:

But it does sound like us that we complain about the media, then when we actually get a guy to listen to us, we argue about it. The amazing thing is, this board is kind of like typical south siders. We can seem like we hate each other at times, yet we would be the first ones to take a punch defending our own. Do you feel the love? I think you do. :smile:

34rancher
02-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
This pretty much sums up this thread...
That is wrong on so many levels. Someone is going to purgatory for a long time for that one.

voodoochile
02-09-2003, 11:19 PM
I admit I'm shocked by the people who think that writing a column is a simple thing to do. Writing clearly, cohesively and in an interesting style is hard enough to do. To do it 4 to 5 times a week isn't easy, unless you have a talent for it. Yeah, it's a fun job like Phil himself said. You get to travel around and talk to sports stars, watch baseball for a living and tell people what you think, but just because it is fun doesn't mean anyone can do it.

Sure with practice and patience anyone can become a better writer, but to automatically assume that anyone can write professionally for a major newspaper (with a photo and by-line no less) really belittles the time and energy it takes to actually get and hold the job and do it well (well maybe not the moron...)

If you read interviews with people who write for a living they all say pretty much the same thing, "Anyone can have one good idea, but if you are truly a writer, you write every day."

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
That is wrong on so many levels. Someone is going to purgatory for a long time for that one.

Thanks for beating me to it, that absolutely disgusted me.

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Sorry...poor judgement...I deleted it.

34rancher
02-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Sorry...poor judgement...I deleted it.
Sorry BMR, it disgusted me to, but I still thought it was humorous, wrong, but it is humerous. Great now, I am going to purgatory. Ah what the heck, my friends will be there waiting for me already. :smile:

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Sorry BMR, it disgusted me to, but I still thought it was humorous, wrong, but it is humerous. Great now, I am going to purgatory. Ah what the heck, my friends will be there waiting for me already. :smile:

Just for the record...I did not create that one! It was passed on to me.

Randar68
02-10-2003, 12:02 AM
LOL, don't project your failed dreams upon us. If i dedicated my life to writing, i would excel.

Yeah, bmr...

You could have a column, and each edition could have one of your wonderful one-sentence shots of wisdom...

It would really keep people's attention...

BLAH!

Bmr31
02-10-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yeah, bmr...

You could have a column, and each edition could have one of your wonderful one-sentence shots of wisdom...

It would really keep people's attention...

BLAH!

I never said i wanted a column, i never said i would enjoy writing, and besides, i have a broken wrist so i can not type long paragraphs.

Unregistered
02-10-2003, 01:50 AM
i have a broken wrist so i can not type long paragraphs. Probably because you took that charming attitude out into the ''real world''... :o:

Bmr31
02-10-2003, 01:56 AM
Probably because you took that charming attitude out into the ''real world''... :o:

LOL yeah okay, thats it. My attitude has given me everything i have ever wanted in life, so you may want to take notice. :)

moochpuppy
02-10-2003, 09:06 AM

:moron

"Not if I started posting here."

Spiff
02-10-2003, 10:22 AM
I think writing a good column is hard, but anyone can write a bad one. I don't read Chicago newspapers so I don't know which side Rogers falls on. I have, on occassion, subjected myself to one of Mariotti's pukefests, and I doubt those things take much talent and/or effort. If you are talking journalists, I think their job is harder than a columnist. Even though columnists have to come up with ideas and keep it interesting, they really just have to have an opinion on something. Then they have to try and back it up etc, but most of the info comes from themselves. Journalists have to travel around and find a story, then get good quotes and connect them with the story in a coherent format.

I think BMR is somewhat right on the belief part. If you want to be a writer (as I do), then you have to be cocky. You have to be able to look at something someone else wrote and say, "I can blow that out of the water." If you don't think that way, you'll never have the motivation to write, since you already think whatever you write won't be good.

I also think it takes a little talent, but it is not vital to making a living in the media business. It may separate the good ones from the hacks, but you can easily be a hack with enough training.

Hangar18
02-10-2003, 10:41 AM
that PRogers is here. makes me feel good being
on this site for some reason. I agree, now that we know
who is who, I respect the privacy thing too....
now....lets get back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC.
they better get Rogers.......Experience is Everything.

voodoochile
02-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

"Not if I started posting here."

Actually, that would be the coolest of all. Simply move it to the PL, change the title to "Free Shots at the Moron RIGHT HERE!" and let the posters have at it. Then we could change his Screen Name to Moronotti, moderate him and laugh our collective asses off...

:D:

Besides, I really want to know if that is a wig on his head...

"For the last time - IT'S A CAT!"

:fluffy
"Hey, it's a living. I just wish he was smarter, the lack of brain activity prevents me from staying warm..."

hose
02-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I never said i wanted a column, i never said i would enjoy writing, and besides, i have a broken wrist so i can not type long paragraphs.

Broken wrist ??? that never stopped Da Coach

:iron

I typed with my toes when my arm was in a cast..........full paragraphs.

Juan Pizarro
02-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Rogers is being self-effacing when he says his job is easy.
Unless you've been an ink-stained wretch, you can't know the anxiety of having to fill space on a regular basis. You don't get to write only on good days or when there's an obvious story or times you feel inspired.
That space gets hungry, and you must feed it.