PDA

View Full Version : Gammons NL column

hempsox
02-08-2003, 07:18 PM
OK...normally I don't even comment on anything this guy even says because it's almost like he was just typing away on the old computer and due to the fact that what he thinks is ALWAYS right no research is really needed. Then I came across this little tidbit.

Durham and Alfonzo give the Giants excellent plate discipline

We are talking about the number of times a batter's appearance either results in a base on balls or a strikeout here, correct?

Now Alfonzo had 62 BB and 55 SO in 490 AB. He also has career numbers of 458 BB and 498 SO in 3897 plate appearances.

Durham had 73 BB and 93 SO (the first year in the last 5 that he came in under the century mark in this catigory) in 564 AB. Again, he has career numbers of 508 BB and 792 SO in 4698 plate appearances.

ONE of these players has plate disiple and methinks it is not "The next Joe Morgan".
The editors at ESPN need to reign their little Boston Baked Bean in and tell him to get the facts right.

jeremyb1
02-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
OK...normally I don't even comment on anything this guy even says because it's almost like he was just typing away on the old computer and due to the fact that what he thinks is ALWAYS right no research is really needed. Then I came across this little tidbit.

We are talking about the number of times a batter's appearance either results in a base on balls or a strikeout here, correct?

Now Alfonzo had 62 BB and 55 SO in 490 AB. He also has career numbers of 458 BB and 498 SO in 3897 plate appearances.

Durham had 73 BB and 93 SO (the first year in the last 5 that he came in under the century mark in this catigory) in 564 AB. Again, he has career numbers of 508 BB and 792 SO in 4698 plate appearances.

ONE of these players has plate disiple and methinks it is not "The next Joe Morgan".
The editors at ESPN need to reign their little Boston Baked Bean in and tell him to get the facts right.

plate discipline ussually refers to walks more than strikeouts. you can have really good plate discipline but just swing through a lot of pitches which would result in k's. ussually if you walk 73 times in a season that's pretty good plate discipline.