PDA

View Full Version : Who will fill the 2003 Sox starting pitching rotation?

hsnterprize
02-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I know we've got some pretty smart Sox fans here, so I'll ask you this question...who will the Sox go with as far as the pitching rotation for 2003?

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine what the rotation will be like after Buehrle and Colon. I'm pretty sure Garland will be on the rotation...especially after his awesome second half last year. But after that...who? Does Jerry put Gary Glover in the rotation? Who will be the #5 starter? Will the Sox go after another pitcher to solidify the group?

Of course, it was great for K.W. to get Colon in black pinstripes, but I don't think this team is deep enough in STARTING pitching to rely on a 1-2 punch like the Diamondbacks did a couple of years ago. Of course, they won with Schilling and Johnson, but can the Sox do the same thing? My heart says "yes". However, my logic doesn't agree. What say you?

Notice I said "starting" pitching. We have plenty of relievers to help out...bt it would be nice to give the bullpen a day off every so often. Complete games are such a luxury on baseball nowadays that I would love to see the Sox have few more than the 7 they had last year...with Buehrle having 5 of them, including 2 shutouts. Jon Garland and Danny Wright each had a complete game shutout last season.

doctor30th
02-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Well it will most likely be Colon, Buehrle, Garland, Wright for the first 4, I think Wright far earned the right to be awarded the 4th spot. Glover is a bull pen guy now, he's not going to get the 5th spot.

The last spot is between Rauch, Gil Heredia, Loiaza and maybe Josh stewart.

SoxxoS
02-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Not to flame or anything, but you are on White Sox Interactive and you don't know who will be included in the starting rotation?

The rotation 1-4 is...

Colon
Buerhle
Garland
Wright

The 5th spot will likely go to Jon Rauch, Esteban Loiaza, or Gil Heredia. The favorite is Rauch, but it will depend on spring training.
Glover is going to be in the pen for the whole year, barring injury.

doctor30th
02-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Guess I should say "jinx" Soxxos.

kevingrt
02-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Same thing as last year just flip-flop Colon for Ritchie. There will be more production out of the pitching squad this year though. Expect a low 4.00 ERA.

baggio202
02-08-2003, 09:40 PM
how about..buehrle - colon - ROGERS - wright - garland

hey i can dream cant i???

jeremyb1
02-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Guess I should say "jinx" Soxxos.

like everyone else has said, it will be:

colon
buehrle
garland
wright
rauch/loiaza/stewart/heredia

if i have to handicap the battle for the fifth spot i think i'd say rauch has the best chance followed by loaiza, stewart, and then heredia. i'd put good money on either rauch or loaiza winning the fifth spot.

T Dog
02-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Southpaw Corwin Malone could battle for the fifth spot. He was sidelined by tendinitis last year, but he was working out in Tucson when I was there a few weeks ago. Jon Rauch was down there as well. The fifth starter likely will get some bullpen work early in the season because of more frequent off days.

Malone is a couple years younger than Josh Stewart, and until last season, he was more highly regarded in the system.