PDA

View Full Version : Don't spend that $63 million just yet...

hsnterprize
02-08-2003, 05:47 PM
I was watching Fox News Chicago on Saturday, Feb 8th, when a report came that the deal to sell the naming rights of Comiskey Park to U.S. Cellular "isn't a done deal yet." According to the report, the Illinois Sports Facility Authority hasn't signed on to this deal yet. And, since they own the stadium in the first place, they have the power to veto the deal.

It would be a real shame after all of this optimism that our favorite team's ballpark could finally be renovated to fit a style that we Sox fans would be proud of, now I'm hearing this...and there is a possibility this deal could get wiped out.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

hsnterprize
02-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Hey Sox fans,

I've been searching the web to find follow up information about the ISFA not signing onto the deal that would sell Comiskey Park's naming rights to U.S. Cellular. In fact, I remember writing the ISFA about updating their website, and I got a response the day the formal naming rights announcement was made. Someone from the ISFA told me the renovations I inquired about would be talked about during the press conference that morning. So, I'm assuming either the story I saw on the news was wrong, or...there's some miscommunication going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Why would Jerry Reinsdorf and U.S. Cellular come to such a huge financial deal without consulting with the ISFA? Wouldn't they have to give the deal an O.K. first? I'm confused. So, I guess unless we hear something different, everything is still fine at "The Cell".

LET'S GO SOX!!!!!!

:lsox

Viva Magglio
02-08-2003, 07:47 PM
The ISFA approval of the name change is expected to just be a mere formality. There are 68 million reasons why they will approve this name change deal.

hsnterprize
02-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks VivaMagglio. When I first saw the report, I thought, "What is going on here?" Well...I guess that put a little steam under my shirt collar, but all is well now.

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Don't sweat it. Classic case of Fox News needing to fill up their stupid hour time slot with non-news information to TRY and boost ratings.

hsnterprize
02-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Well, it's Sunday night, and CBS2 is reporting the same thing Fox did last night. Hopefully, the ISFA approval of this deal will only be a "formality" as previously stated. But, if in the unlikely event this deal gets wiped out, I believe we have to give Jerry Reinsdorf credit for trying to make things better for Sox fans as far as the ballpark is concerned.

hsnterprize
02-10-2003, 05:07 AM
An article in the Sun-Times pretty much explains what's up as far as the Illinois Sports Facility Authority is concerned about this naming rights deal. They basically want a guarantee the Sox will be able to pay for the renovations, and they're not going to trust U.S. Cellular necessarily. Here's a link to the article...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-stadium09.html

Like I said before...the ISFA had better not screw up this deal. Leave it to a bueracracy to mess up something the White Sox are trying to get right. This whole thing about the ISFA is really getting under my collar. I sincerely hope this is only a formality...but there's too much of a chance the deal could get wiped out.