PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic

LuvSox
02-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Jeez-us! Another White Sox loss on Espn classic. (Boston, 10-03-90) It's good to see those guys again, that was one helluva year. Thomas and Fernandez in the majors for under 3 months and looking great. Where has the time gone?

RKMeibalane
02-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Pasqua was gunned down at the plate by Mike Greenwell. That looks awfully familiar. :angry:

hempsox
02-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Pasqua was gunned down at the plate by Mike Greenwell. That looks awfully familiar. :angry:
Was "Wavin' Wally" still the third base coach back then??? :D:

MaggPipes
02-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Isn't it great to see Sammy Sosa get a hit right up the middle for our Sox???????

MetalliSox
02-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Jeez-us! Another White Sox loss on Espn classic. (Boston, 10-03-90) It's good to see those guys again, that was one helluva year. Thomas and Fernandez in the majors for under 3 months and looking great. Where has the time gone?

WHat should they show? I don't think TV was invented when the Sox had great moments.

They did show the 15 inning(?) game vs. Cubs from a few years back last year.

Would love to see that game vs. Yanks from 2000 where Lee hit that lead off homer off Rivera in the 9th and then Valentin hits the GW hit. I was at that game and the dinger came from nowhere. I never got to see the game on TV.

RKMeibalane
02-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
Was "Wavin' Wally" still the third base coach back then??? :D:

Terry Bevington was the third base coach. He was even worse than Wally.

chunk
02-08-2003, 06:17 PM
I think at 7 espn classic is doing a show about Fisk.

LuvSox
02-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
WHat should they show? I don't think TV was invented when the Sox had great moments.

They did show the 15 inning(?) game vs. Cubs from a few years back last year.

Would love to see that game vs. Yanks from 2000 where Lee hit that lead off homer off Rivera in the 9th and then Valentin hits the GW hit. I was at that game and the dinger came from nowhere. I never got to see the game on TV. Good point. I've seen Fisks' first game back at Fenway and the '93 clincher on "classic" though.

RedPinStripes
02-08-2003, 08:54 PM
That 's "espn classic sports"

Before that they showed a documentary on Carl Yaztremski, then after, Ted Williams. ESPN is all about the redsox. When i turned it on, i didnt even know what game it was , but i knew the Red Sox would come out on top.

:boston
"I work for espn and i love the red sox"!

kevingrt
02-08-2003, 09:21 PM
They really love showing the WhiteSox and Chicago teams lose in that. The only team they ever show win is the great Bulls dynasty!

LuvSox
02-08-2003, 09:26 PM
I caught one the other day, the Cubs blowing the '84 playoffs to the Padres. Oh, how I laughed! What a snooze-fest, Cubs vs Padres.

baggio202
02-08-2003, 09:34 PM
in fairness ive seen some good chisox games too...they show seaver's 300th win where harold baines makes two nice catches in RF...and they show fisk's first game with the chisox every once in a while too...great to hear harry and jimmy again...even if they chisox losers we still get on classics a lot more then i would expect us too

chisox06
02-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
They really love showing the WhiteSox and Chicago teams lose in that. The only team they ever show win is the great Bulls dynasty!

Well lets take a look. The bulls won 6 (?) championships over the last 10 years. The Sox have won there last championship in 1917 and the chubs even before that. Other than the bulls there hasnt been a whole lotta winning going on with any other teams

jortafan
02-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Am I the only one who thinks it's a crock to treat a division-winning teams' clinching game as a "classic," when said team later goes on to blow it in the playoffs? They couldn't even win a pennant, so who cares about clinching a division. Heck, even the
Cubs can win a division title every now and then, it's the pennant that matters.

LuvSox
02-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
in fairness ive seen some good chisox games too...they show seaver's 300th win where harold baines makes two nice catches in RF...and they show fisk's first game with the chisox every once in a while too...great to hear harry and jimmy again...even if they chisox losers we still get on classics a lot more then i would expect us too It's funny hearing Harry again, he would get so excited, yelling and screaming. What a difference from todays broadcasters around baseball.

LuvSox
02-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Am I the only one who thinks it's a crock to treat a division-winning teams' clinching game as a "classic," when said team later goes on to blow it in the playoffs? They couldn't even win a pennant, so who cares about clinching a division. Heck, even the
Cubs can win a division title every now and then, it's the pennant that matters. Seems like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to bring us a day of Boston baseball. It was cool to hear the espn guys talk so highly of our team, with that network always in love with the Red Sox.

FarmerAndy
02-09-2003, 04:24 PM
I forgot about that game, but got mad all over again when I watched it. We should have won that game, or at least tied it and sent it into extra innings. Tom Brunansky made a diving catch in right field for the third out, but he dropped the ball. You couldn't see him drop it on T.V. because of that weird angle in the right field corner, but the announcer could see it and yelled "he dropped the ball!" Before the umpires even had a chance to say anything, the players and fans were already rushing the field to celebrate. Nothing else was ever said of it. We had two runners on base who probably would've scored on that hit and tied the game.

Darn cheaters!

Bmr31
02-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Seems like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to bring us a day of Boston baseball. It was cool to hear the espn guys talk so highly of our team, with that network always in love with the Red Sox.

Guys, ESPN focuses on teams like the yankees and redsox, cuz thats where the money is.....there is no other reason. More people tune into ESPN sportscenter from the east coast, than anywhere in the country. Its simple logic.

RedPinStripes
02-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Guys, ESPN focuses on teams like the yankees and redsox, cuz thats where the money is.....there is no other reason. More people tune into ESPN sportscenter from the east coast, than anywhere in the country. Its simple logic.

And teh other reason is ESPN is station in Conn. Just a little east coast biased there.

LuvSox
02-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I forgot about that game, but got mad all over again when I watched it. We should have won that game, or at least tied it and sent it into extra innings. Tom Brunansky made a diving catch in right field for the third out, but he dropped the ball. You couldn't see him drop it on T.V. because of that weird angle in the right field corner, but the announcer could see it and yelled "he dropped the ball!" Before the umpires even had a chance to say anything, the players and fans were already rushing the field to celebrate. Nothing else was ever said of it. We had two runners on base who probably would've scored on that hit and tied the game.

Darn cheaters! I forgot about that too, man was I pissed all over again!!!! Brunansky was running in with the ball, ready to throw home and the ump said OUT!