PDA

View Full Version : Baserunning of 2003?

TRL
02-08-2003, 02:16 PM
I was reading a post about Carlos Lee being a terrible base runner and it made me recall all of the terrible decisions the Sox made last year on the basepaths. What's the outlook for this season?

If they can find a nice blend between aggressive and smart they should be okay. If they can't, it might drive me to be a raging alcoholic.

:gulp:

baggio202
02-08-2003, 02:24 PM
we definately wont steal as many bases this year...we could fall all the way to bottom of the league in that catagory...i dont know how that will translate into base running though...are we going to bunt more??...hit and run more??..hitting behind runners???...or are we just going to sit around and wait for the 3 run dinger???

one thing i do know...everytime carlos lee gets on base ill probably need a valium :whiner:

WhiteSox = Life
02-08-2003, 02:34 PM
That has seemed to be a White Sox problem the last couple years.

Either they don't get on base, or if they do, they don't know what to do on the bases.

How many times have I seen a guy go for second or try to steal third and get thrown out when the very next pitch delivered to the plate is a base hit?

Yes, the White Sox need to address baserunning. If Valentin is gone after this year as a player, the White Sox should ask him to hang around as a base-running coach and a teacher, kinda ambassador, for fellow Hispanic players.

As a guy who is the ultimate team player, gets along with everybody and is truly a great person, Jose Valentin would be perfect as a coach on the White Sox. If he doesn't want to quit playing baseball right away, the White Sox should offer him a coaching position when he does become available.

I'll take Jose Valentin as a coach any day of the week.

:smile:

chisox06
02-09-2003, 12:12 AM
With the offense as potent as it is, it is absoloutely necessary that the sox dont make stupid decisions on the basepaths. I was happy to see the sox address this situation over the offseason with doing some gutting in the base coach area. I hope to see a lot of improvement.

WinningUgly!
02-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by TRL
I was reading a post about Carlos Lee being a terrible base runner and it made me recall all of the terrible decisions the Sox made last year on the basepaths. What's the outlook for this season?

If they can find a nice blend between aggressive and smart they should be okay. If they can't, it might drive me to be a raging alcoholic.

Hopefully this will all be ironed out with Jerry Reinsdorf's promise of "stricter rules in spring training" that he made at the end of last season. :?:

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Let's just hope that Lee has learned AFTER THE THIRD TIME NOT to try to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate!

Lip

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Well, they hired two new base running coaches and this was brought up at all 3 days of Sox fest during the KW/JM seminar, so the organization obviously recognizes the problem. I don't think it will be much of a conflict this year as it was last year.

Paulwny
02-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Let's just hope that Lee has learned AFTER THE THIRD TIME NOT to try to steal 3rd base with less then two out and the tying run at the plate!

Lip

I don't know who should get all the blame here. Did Lee get a sign to steal or did he go on his own?
All teams have a "don't steal" signal, if Lee's baseball fundamentals are this bad why wasn't the "don't steal" signal used after the first blunder? Did any of the coaches or JM talk to him ?

WhiteSox = Life
02-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Maybe Carlos Lee mistook the "don't steal" sign for the "steal" sign.

I don't know. If Carlos was given the steal sign, I don't like that move, but it's not his fault. If he wasn't given the steal sign or was given the "green light", then it's his own fault.

Let's just hope Carlos is taught the proper fundamentals and that he can apply them to future situations.

Lip Man 1
02-09-2003, 02:35 PM
On at least one occasion that Lee pulled this boner, Manager Gandhi was quoted in the papers as saying something along the lines of 'he didn't understand what Lee was thinking...'

That leads me to assume that on at least one occasion Lee went on his own. Thus the reason for my nickname El Stupido.

Lip

JUGGERNAUT
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
this area considerably. On the nights Olivo doesn't start I can seem him being put in for Lee as a PR, and then our 4th or 5th OF off the bench replacing Lee in left.