PDA

View Full Version : What if..just what if...

mike squires
02-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Bhuerlie has an off year. He has pitched good yes but his effectivness has gone down. He was picked by USA today sports weekly as a burnout candidate. I quote, "a lot of pitches and a lot of innings two years in a row at 22 and 23. He continued to pitch well last year, but there was a a drop-off in effectiveness, and it was bigger than it looked.

Hell yeah he is a crafty lefty, but will his ride end and if it does what will the hell we do?

Bmr31
02-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Bhuerlie has an off year. He has pitched good yes but his effectivness has gone down. He was picked by USA today sports weekly as a burnout candidate. I quote, "a lot of pitches and a lot of innings two years in a row at 22 and 23. He continued to pitch well last year, but there was a a drop-off in effectiveness, and it was bigger than it looked.

Hell yeah he is a crafty lefty, but will his ride end and if it does what will the hell we do?

Then we will become a slightly below average team instead of a slightly above average team?

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 10:11 PM
I think all of those are over reacting. I believe that Buehrle will be fine. He doesn't throw higher than 90 and didn't pitch this winter at all. To be honest, I don't even think his numbers went 'down' last season as opposed to up. He had a slightly higher ERA, so what? IMO, that just means he doesn't have that surprise of batters not knowing him. He'll be fine.

If the unfortunate circumstances do arrise, we'll be lucky to finish with a better record than the Cubs.

baggio202
02-07-2003, 11:29 PM
if buehrle has an off year then wright and garland better pick up the slack....lets say mark struggle and wins 10- 11 games... colon has an average year for him 16 wins...if wright and garland both increase their production by 4 games each..then wright wins 18 and garland 16...thats still 60 wins from our top 4 guys....thats means we need 30-35 wins from everyone else...if 10 of those come out of the 5 spot we can still win with buehrle sucking air...but its gonna take wright and garland taking the bull by the balls and pitching lights out...

the possibility of this scenario playing out also makes a great case for picking up rogers..he could really help pick up the buehrle slack if (god forbid) mark did tank

WhiteSox = Life
02-08-2003, 12:52 AM

Heretic! How dare you!

Just kidding. If Buehrle does have an off-year, here's what is going to happen from least likely to most likely...

1. Garland, Wright, Colon and the #5 starter will all win 18-22 games and the White Sox make the playoffs.
2. Buehrle will go to the bullpen where he will be replaced by someone in the bullpen or a minor leaguer ready to play and the White Sox make the playoffs.
3. Buehrle will stay in the rotation, but get moved down to maybe number 2 or 3 and the White Sox come close to the playoffs.
4. Buehrle will stay one or two and continue to pitch decently but not like the Buehrle we've grown accustomed to while the White Sox don't make the playoffs.
5. Buehrle's being down doesn't bring down the team but without his standards, the White Sox can't make it to the playoffs.
6. Buehrle's being down takes down the rest of the team gradually until there's no hope left in the season.
7. JR reiterates why he doesn't let pitchers be signed long-term.
8. Mark Buehrle is not invited back to the St. Louis banquet.

Trying to find a little humor in this situation is tough, so let's just keep our fingers crossed, hope that the White Sox don't have any major injuries or drop-offs in numbers and that they make it to the playoffs where we'll see what happens from there.

:smile:

kermittheefrog
02-08-2003, 03:28 AM
While I don't think a drop in effectiveness is as unfathomable as some on this board make it seem I expect Buehrle to continue to pitch well. He's the kind of pitcher who has been found to be successful without high strikeout rates. That is, he's a lefty who keeps the ball in the park, gets ground balls and has a good pickoff move that controls the running game.

Honestly I'd say we're pretty screwed if Buehrle is injured or loses a good deal of his effectiveness.

RedPinStripes
02-08-2003, 11:59 AM
What if........Just what if...........Buehrle has taken a lot of notes on his 2 years as a starter and builds on it in addition to what he did last year? Watch the gun when Buehrle pitches. He can throw 90-91. He rarly throws over 88. He's the last one i'm worried about getting tired. off speed and pin point control is his game.

idseer
02-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
What if........Just what if...........Buehrle has taken a lot of notes on his 2 years as a starter and builds on it in addition to what he did last year? Watch the gun when Buehrle pitches. He can throw 90-91. He rarly throws over 88. He's the last one i'm worried about getting tired. off speed and pin point control is his game.

what if........just what if ....... magglio and konerko are carpooling to a game and ... WHAM ... a collision knocks them over an embankment and they plunge 80 ft to their deaths?

THEN what would we do?

WhiteSox = Life
02-08-2003, 01:46 PM
What if... Just what if... This thread became filled with so many "What if's?" that it looked like a Cubs September pennant plan?

RedPinStripes
02-08-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by idseer
what if........just what if ....... magglio and konerko are carpooling to a game and ... WHAM ... a collision knocks them over an embankment and they plunge 80 ft to their deaths?

THEN what would we do?

Go back to saying how much the teams sucks and talk about how good they'll be in 5 years.

hempsox
02-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
What if... Just what if... This thread became filled with so many "What if's?" that it looked like a Cubs September pennant plan?

LMAO

Cow-workers now think I am a bit of a loon but this statement couldn't be any closer to the truth.

idseer
02-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by hempsox
LMAO

Cow-workers now think I am a bit of a loon but this statement couldn't be any closer to the truth.

hmmm you a rancher hemp? :smile:

hempsox
02-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by idseer
hmmm you a rancher hemp? :smile:
Nope...a gardener.

chisox06
02-08-2003, 11:04 PM

What if Frank Mags Paul Valentin and Crede all get injured? What if Lee hits .145 and commits 212 errors in left field. What if Colon is a bust? OH NO WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS, WERE DOOMED!!

bc2k
02-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
He doesn't throw higher than 90 and didn't pitch this winter at all.

He pitched in Japan and took a liner off his shoulder. Regardless, he'll win 20 this year if JM lets him.

mike squires
02-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
While I don't think a drop in effectiveness is as unfathomable as some on this board make it seem I expect Buehrle to continue to pitch well. He's the kind of pitcher who has been found to be successful without high strikeout rates. That is, he's a lefty who keeps the ball in the park, gets ground balls and has a good pickoff move that controls the running game.

Honestly I'd say we're pretty screwed if Buehrle is injured or loses a good deal of his effectiveness.

Thanks Kermit-That's the kind of intelligent reply I was looking for, Not just more random what if's...what if's...making fun of my what if's... at least someone got it. :D:

WhiteSox = Life
02-09-2003, 02:24 PM
I just want to point out that my "What if's" were in sarcasm to the other people's and I was defending you. Just want to let you know. Besides, I gave a straight (well, with a little humor) answer before, anyway, so, yeah.

:smile:

kevingrt
02-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

Beatiful post, I hate what ifs

gogosoxgogo
02-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
He pitched in Japan and took a liner off his shoulder. Regardless, he'll win 20 this year if JM lets him.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Regardless, he'll be fine.