PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for El Caballo

Hangar18
02-07-2003, 05:53 PM
I thought about this a while back, and Cant believe I never posted this. Remember how dang Good Carlos Lee was in
2000?
He was hitting the ball to all fields, making great contact,
putting it in play, taking advantage of every RBI opportunity???

Remember how much he reminded you of a young Frank Thomas?

Remember how Big Frank started to work with Walt Hriniak
again, and "Rediscovered" his Groove ??

Why isnt anyone in the SOX organization making CLee work
with Hriniak also??? Carlos Lee is an RBI Horse (hence his
nickname) and as soon as he decided he was going to be a
HR hitter, thats how he messed up his swing. Caballo
needs to Remember that just putting the ball in play (for him)
gets him Results. I would bet a TON of $$$$ that if Carlos
Lee started working with Hrniak, he would be the second
or third Most Dangerous Hitter in Baseball this Year.

I hope someone with the Sox is reading this......

Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee ARE THE SAME TYPE OF Hitter.....
WHY isnt Carlos in Vegas right now also? dammit.

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Good point, though I think you're a little more optimistic than I am about Cabello. The biggest thing for me was him having more walks than K's last year. Now that he has some plate discipline, if he stops swinging for the fences, he can be a very dominant hitter.

Hangar18
02-07-2003, 06:05 PM
My point exactly. Thats why I fear the sox giving up on him,
(kind of like they did with sam-me) and then something "CLICKS"
in his head. The guy, for as LAZY as his work habits are, is
still a Power Potential. If he were a basketball player, he'd
be the exact guy Phil Jackson wouldve gotten the most out of...
simply because hes Seeing Something Everyone Else Is Missing.

I still believe in El Caballo, but yes, people are getting tired of
waiting for him. Hes holding the Team, and Himself Back if
he doesnt Work Harder. Thats my point. Wish I worked for the
Sox, because I wouldve been in his Face last year. Caballo
would not be just an "ok" hitter if I had my word with him.

Jerry Manuel....are you reading this? Anyone Have
Walt Hriniaks Number handy??? I'll drive him to Vegas.....

Hangar18
02-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Do you Realize how Dangerous and Lethal the Sox Offense
would be if Carlos Lee got "smarter" about his hitting (2000)??

You put 2000 Carlos Lee, with Maggs, Konerko, a rejuvenated
BigHurt, Coming-Fast Joe Crede.....

All we need is SPEED at the Top and Bottom of our Lineup,
and this is a World Series Team. Were THISCLOSE.

Kenny, Are You Reading This?? I'll Drive Caballo...

Damn.....Im salivating thinking about that

kevingrt
02-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Extremely good point on Walt, Frank, and Carlos. He should work with Walt because the Big Hurt and him have the same type of swing, and are both power hitters who need to learn how to hit it to the opposite field again. I think Thomas will be good this year, but if Carlos doesn't have a good teacher to teach him a better swing path, then El Caballo might have another down year, as he did last year.

kermittheefrog
02-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I thought about this a while back, and Cant believe I never posted this. Remember how dang Good Carlos Lee was in
2000?
He was hitting the ball to all fields, making great contact,
putting it in play, taking advantage of every RBI opportunity???

Remember how much he reminded you of a young Frank Thomas?

I'd say Carlos didn't come close to reminding me of a young Frank until he started taking four pitch walks in the second half of last year.

jeremyb1
02-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'd say Carlos didn't come close to reminding me of a young Frank until he started taking four pitch walks in the second half of last year.

i second that.

TRL
02-07-2003, 09:34 PM
I think Carlos can have a big year, but like all of you have been pointing out he has to do a few thing to make it happen. I think he finally has a grasp of the strike zone now. His BBs last year support that. He's a big guy and the home runs will come. He just has to realize that sometimes the best play is to shorten up and take it to right.

alohafri
02-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TRL
I think Carlos can have a big year, but like all of you have been pointing out he has to do a few thing to make it happen.

Like push himself away from the buffet at the Mirage. I recall seeing Caballo in his freshman year and he was a much thinner guy with speed. Now, I wonder if he could catch a cold!

baggio202
02-08-2003, 12:25 AM
every year i hear from carlos lee fans that this will be his break out year..its almost like listening to peter gammons year after year pick the red sox to win the world series....if the red sox finally do we will hear peter say ..see i told you so...if carlos has a break out year i guess ill hear the same thing..

im sick of waiting for this guy to have a break out year...so he learned to walk more..whoop t friggen do....half the time i think he was intentionally walked just so that the pitcher could pick him off of 1st base... the other arguement was if carlos ever learned how to take a pitch his numbers would sky rocket...well he learned how and his numbers stayed the same or went down...learning to walk, especially with a guy as aggresive as carlos doesnt always translate into better numbers...they lose something when they arnt as agressive...

as for the rest of carlos' game...is there a dumber player in the majors???...the guy cant bunt..cant run the bases..cant catch..throws like a girl..make that throws like a non - athletic girl...he is such a poor fundemental ballplayer i think a case could be made that he actually creates more runs for the other team with his stupidity and lack of skill then he does for us ( a little sarcasm there)...

brian daubach could never play an everyday left field for any team in baseball...but if we trade carlos and stuck daubach out there he would be an upgrade defensively over carlos...

plus..lets say carlos has a mini- break out year...30 - 90 - .300...he makes 4.2 or 4.7 million this year in the last year of his contract...he is gonna want minmum 6 million , max 8 next year...anyone really want to pay this guy that much when we are trying to resign colon ,(isnt maggs up for renewal too - and paulie)
buehrle is arb eligable..then what to do with frank..valentin..

bye bye carlos..

EnricoPallazzo
02-08-2003, 04:09 AM
If sleeping beauty wakes up every now and then, we should see Daubach get enough innings to push El Caballo. Although Daubach is no savior, he has hit over 20 dingers and had over 70 RBI in each of the last 4 seasons.

There is no reason not to use him enough to push Lee and rest Konerko and Mags more than was done last year with Leifer.

I think I'll send Rip Van Manuel a couple of cases of Red Bull.

MisterB
02-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
im sick of waiting for this guy to have a break out year...so he learned to walk more..whoop t friggen do....half the time i think he was intentionally walked just so that the pitcher could pick him off of 1st base... the other arguement was if carlos ever learned how to take a pitch his numbers would sky rocket...well he learned how and his numbers stayed the same or went down...learning to walk, especially with a guy as aggresive as carlos doesnt always translate into better numbers...they lose something when they arnt as agressive...

Carlos pre-break:.249/.318/.454
Carlos post-break:.283/.407/.521

It wasn't just the walks - the improvement was in all facets of his batting.

as for the rest of carlos' game...is there a dumber player in the majors???...the guy cant bunt..cant run the bases..cant catch..throws like a girl..make that throws like a non - athletic girl...he is such a poor fundemental ballplayer i think a case could be made that he actually creates more runs for the other team with his stupidity and lack of skill then he does for us ( a little sarcasm there)...

brian daubach could never play an everyday left field for any team in baseball...but if we trade carlos and stuck daubach out there he would be an upgrade defensively over carlos...

Wow, a power hitter that can't bunt..shocking. Daubach vs. Lee defensively in LF is like the Choice/Manos debate: no range vs. no glove. :smile: Lee has marginally outproduced Daubach overall, but if Lee continues his 2nd half production from last year Lee wins hands down.

plus..lets say carlos has a mini- break out year...30 - 90 - .300...he makes 4.2 or 4.7 million this year in the last year of his contract...he is gonna want minmum 6 million , max 8 next year...anyone really want to pay this guy that much when we are trying to resign colon ,(isnt maggs up for renewal too - and paulie)
buehrle is arb eligable..then what to do with frank..valentin..

bye bye carlos..

Maggs is signed through '04, Paulie through '05. If Valentin's option is declined and we go into '04 with Jimenez & Harris/Hummel up the middle, we'll need Lee's offense even more (unless Borchard comes up this year and goes great guns right out of the gate), plus we'll have the $5 million slated for Manos to work with. Besides, if Lee goes .300 - 30 - 90 and draws the walks, he's worth at least $6 mil in my book (considering that's Konerko-like production and he'll make $8M+ a year.)

baggio202
02-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
Carlos pre-break:.249/.318/.454
Carlos post-break:.283/.407/.521

It wasn't just the walks - the improvement was in all facets of his batting.

Wow, a power hitter that can't bunt..shocking. Daubach vs. Lee defensively in LF is like the Choice/Manos debate: no range vs. no glove. :smile: Lee has marginally outproduced Daubach overall, but if Lee continues his 2nd half production from last year Lee wins hands down.

Maggs is signed through '04, Paulie through '05. If Valentin's option is declined and we go into '04 with Jimenez & Harris/Hummel up the middle, we'll need Lee's offense even more (unless Borchard comes up this year and goes great guns right out of the gate), plus we'll have the $5 million slated for Manos to work with. Besides, if Lee goes .300 - 30 - 90 and draws the walks, he's worth at least $6 mil in my book (considering that's Konerko-like production and he'll make $8M+ a year.)

carlos had a good 2nd half...like he hasnt done that one before..have a great half season the disappear off the face of the earth..if the season was only 81 games carlos might be an all star...you can throw up any numbers you want but the fact is over the entire season he still walked more last year while the rest of his numbers stayed the same....the arguement you make could be used to say "cancer k-layton" is ready to become a 300 hitter because he hit 323 or something like that over a half season the past two years...or james baldwin is ready to become a 20 game winner....carlos has done this before..he is a teaser to the max..gets everyone hopes every year..then disappoints...but shows just enough promise to do it all over agian...

a power hitter that cant bunt...if carlos is a power hitter then he is an average one at best..his home run high is 26(?)...to me carlos is at his best when he looks to hit the ball in LC and RC gaps not over the fence...konerko is more of a home run hitter to me...eventhough any hitter will improve his average going the other way paulie is more of a dead pull hitter and still has success hitting that way..when carlos looks to pull the ball you can expect swinging at pitches in the dirt or him hitting weak pop ups...he is not a true power hitter..therefore he better learn to get a bunt down because it will be asked of him again...ill bet anyone if maggs ever got the bunt sign he'd get it down..this a basic fundemental of baseball and carlos looks lost trying to do it...its pathetic actually...

to me..the only way i bring lee back is if , god forbid, the thomas situation just doesnt work out and he goes elsewhere...i guess i could live with carlos as a DH...but ill still be watching with one eye closed and squinting through the other everytime carlos is on base...

alot of people like carlos...i dont...