PDA

View Full Version : Twinkie's Rotation

thecell
02-07-2003, 02:18 PM
TSN's take on the Twinkie rotation...

Last year's greatest strength, the rotation, is this year's big concern. RHPs Joe Mays (elbow) and Kyle Lohse (knee) underwent offseason surgery, and LHP Eric Milton had knee surgery in August. Milton experienced enough discomfort over the winter to undergo additional tests, which showed no serious problem. Mays, limited to 17 starts last season because of elbow problems, had shoulder discomfort during his offseason rehab from November elbow surgery. The good news is owner Carl Pohlad opted to retain veteran RHP Rick Reed, who led the staff with 15 wins last season.

Any thoughts or comparisons to the Sox rotation?

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by thecell
Any thoughts or comparisons to the Sox rotation?

sox are better.

baggio202
02-07-2003, 04:19 PM
i really feel this season will be won or lost in april...if we come out the gate strong and put pressure on the twinkies....that pitching staff , with its injured starters returning and its "career year" bullpen will just implode....it could get really ugly up north..

on the ot her hand...if we pull a shades of '01 (14-29 start)..the twinkies just might put it on cruise control , limit the innings pitched by their starters and just waltz on in to another division title..

the more pressure we put on them early the better chance we have of forcing gardenhire to stick with these guys longer and combining that with the stress of a real division race could really blow up this pitching staff....remember these guys have never really been in a division race...it was over by july last year...lets put pressure on those ailing bodies :D:

thecell
02-07-2003, 04:36 PM
I can't agree with you more. With the new excitement around the ball club with the new players and stadium renovations, I feel the Sox are gonna come out pretty psyched at the beginning of the year. Not to take anything for granted but look at their April schedule...

@KC for 3
vs Det for 3
@ CLE for 3
@ DET for 3
vs KC for 3
vs CLE for 4
@ BAL for 3
vs MIN for 3
vs OAK for 3

If their offense comes out like they did last year and the pitching steps up, I can see an easy 18-10 record. May will be a bigger challenge with more games against Oakland, Seattle, and Minnesota. But again, the key is April.

pudge
02-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Has anyone learned how to fast-forward time? February sucks.

thecell
02-07-2003, 04:55 PM
From yesterday's Ron Rapoport column...
"Tell me about it: Asked many years ago why he quit sportswriting, Paul Gallico answered, 'February'.''

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Amen to that. Worst month ever. Good thing it's only 28 days.

34 Inch Stick
02-07-2003, 05:12 PM
I've got the Sox at 21-6 in March/April. The critical fast start has nothing to do with the Twins. We play weak sisters the entire month. If we don't beat the easy teams, as we saw last year, we do not win the division.

OEO Magglio
02-07-2003, 05:16 PM
February is definetly terrible thankfully only 22 days until spring training games start, CMON FEBRUARY 28TH!!!!!!!

ma-gaga
02-07-2003, 05:23 PM
The Twins have a full month of Cleveland, KC, Detroit and Baltimore from July 23 to August 24.

The Sox NEED to be in first place on July 23 by a couple of games minimum . If the Twins are in first at that date, they could bury the White Sox during that month.

The division won't be settled in April.

Rotation wise, the Twins are deeper than the Sox. One injury to the Twins won't bury them. Can you imagine if Buerhle or Colon gets hurt in May?!? Don't get me wrong, the White Sox's top 2 pitchers are better than anyone on the Twins staff, but the Twins have 4 other proven starters able to step in.

Bullpens remain to be seen. I wouldn't 'assume' that the Twins bullpen is going to suck this year. They may not be as dominant as they were last year, but all they need to be is competent.

:)

jeremyb1
02-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
The Twins have a full month of Cleveland, KC, Detroit and Baltimore from July 23 to August 24.

The Sox NEED to be in first place on July 23 by a couple of games minimum . If the Twins are in first at that date, they could bury the White Sox during that month.

Rotation wise, the Twins are deeper than the Sox. One injury to the Twins won't bury them. Can you imagine if Buerhle or Colon gets hurt in May?!? Don't get me wrong, the White Sox's top 2 pitchers are better than anyone on the Twins staff, but the Twins have 4 other proven starters able to step in.

Bullpens remain to be seen. I wouldn't 'assume' that the Twins bullpen is going to suck this year. They may not be as dominant as they were last year, but all they need to be is competent.

i think the depth of the twins rotation is far overrated. they do have the best sixth starter (and probably the best on their team) in baseball in santana. what happens if two guys go down though? kinney is gone. if one guy struggles or is injured their fine, but if two struggle, they're facing serious problems.

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i think the depth of the twins rotation is far overrated. they do have the best sixth starter (and probably the best on their team) in baseball in santana. what happens if two guys go down though? kinney is gone. if one guy struggles or is injured their fine, but if two struggle, they're facing serious problems.

Actually, the Yankees have the best 6th starter. And seventh. And eight.

jeremyb1
02-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Actually, the Yankees have the best 6th starter. And seventh. And eight.

i'm not sure i agree with that. if the season were to begin today contreras would probably be their sixth starter. santana had a 2.99 era on the season last year and a 3.13 era and a 7-4 record in 13 starts last season. that projects to be over 15 wins and an era near three over a full season. i think contreras is good and he might be able to perform at the level next season but it's no sure thing.

the yankees 7th "starter" is sterling hitchcock who is certainly not better than santana. if you consider him, lieber would be their 8th starter. personally i wouldn't do so since he'll hardly pitch this season and won't be very good a lot of the time when he does.

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'm not sure i agree with that. if the season were to begin today contreras would probably be their sixth starter. santana had a 2.99 era on the season last year and a 3.13 era and a 7-4 record in 13 starts last season. that projects to be over 15 wins and an era near three over a full season. i think contreras is good and he might be able to perform at the level next season but it's no sure thing.

the yankees 7th "starter" is sterling hitchcock who is certainly not better than santana. if you consider him, lieber would be their 8th starter. personally i wouldn't do so since he'll hardly pitch this season and won't be very good a lot of the time when he does.

I'd actually put Santana ahead of Lohse in the rotation, as I think he's better and will have a more productive spring training, earning him a permanent spot. I also believe that Conteras is going to be better than both of them, but in particular Lohse, who will be their 6th starter by year's end. As for the Yankees 7th and 8th starters, it's easy to be the best when there is no competition.

TRL
02-07-2003, 08:50 PM
I think overall the Sox and Twins have pretty comparable staffs. But just because it looks that way on paper, doesn't mean anything.

After all baseball games aren't played on paper, they're played inside TV sets.

One more week until pitchers and catchers report!!

thecell
02-07-2003, 09:17 PM
T minus 8 days, 2 hours, 44 minutes, 18 seconds (as of the time of this post) to be exact.

hempsox
02-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by thecell
T minus 8 days, 2 hours, 44 minutes, 18 seconds (as of the time of this post) to be exact.

Not counting or anything are we???

jeremyb1
02-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I'd actually put Santana ahead of Lohse in the rotation, as I think he's better and will have a more productive spring training, earning him a permanent spot. I also believe that Conteras is going to be better than both of them, but in particular Lohse, who will be their 6th starter by year's end. As for the Yankees 7th and 8th starters, it's easy to be the best when there is no competition.

i agree that contreras is probably better than santana and definately lohse but i think you can make a case that santana very well may be better. i agree that santana is better than lohse, but who knows how easy it'll be for him to take lohse's spot in the spring?

baggio202
02-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

i have to disagree....april could very well be the deciding month...lok at the last 3 years...april was huge for the sox...good or bad....lets face it..the sox are not a come from behind team...we have a history of throwing the towel in early...

lets say june rolls around and we are .500 ..6 games back...does anyone honestly think KW will go out and add players to help us catch the twins???...or will he dump colon , lee and valentin and start looking towards next year????...what does our recnt history dictate will happen???

we need a great start more than any team in baseball

Chisox_cali
02-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i have to disagree....april could very well be the deciding month...lok at the last 3 years...april was huge for the sox...good or bad....lets face it..the sox are not a come from behind team...we have a history of throwing the towel in early...

lets say june rolls around and we are .500 ..6 games back...does anyone honestly think KW will go out and add players to help us catch the twins???...or will he dump colon , lee and valentin and start looking towards next year????...what does our recnt history dictate will happen???

we need a great start more than any team in baseball

Didn't help last year, Sox April Record in 2002 was 16-10. I think I read early in April the Sox were off to their best start since '94

baggio202
02-07-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Didn't help last year, Sox April Record in 2002 was 16-10. I think I read early in April the Sox were off to their best start since '94

but this time we wont have kenny lofton to hit 138 in may...and cry like a baby because the sox wernt all pro union like he was...what a jag off :angry:

last year it didnt work out that way..may was so horrible i actually forget we played ecent ball in april...but with all the big names we need to resign next year and the fact we play a real creme puff schedule in april if we dont kick ass out the gate im really worried an early fire sale could take place....