PDA

View Full Version : Great Kenny Quote from SoxFest

Brian26
02-07-2003, 12:55 PM
There were so many great things about this past weekend at the Hyatt that it's almost impossible to talk about them all.

One thing I was just reminded of last night...

At the Friday night seminar, Kenny said something that got a HUGE ovation from the crowd. In talking about the attitide of the team this year and what he and Manual want to stress coming out of the gate, "This year, I want players to forget about the name on the back of their jerseys and only think about the name on the front of their jerseys."

Very simply concept, really. Yet, it was very poignant.

There are different ways of looking at a comment like that. One thing I like is that it reminds me of the club's attitude coming out of Spring Training in 2000, especially pertaining to Frank and the addition by subtraction of Navarro. This year, Royce's attitude is gone, Frank is working with Wriniak with management's blessing, and everyone seems like they could be on the same page.

hose
02-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
There were so many great things about this past weekend at the Hyatt that it's almost impossible to talk about them all.

One thing I was just reminded of last night...

At the Friday night seminar, Kenny said something that got a HUGE ovation from the crowd. In talking about the attitide of the team this year and what he and Manual want to stress coming out of the gate, "This year, I want players to forget about the name on the back of their jerseys and only think about the name on the front of their jerseys."

Very simply concept, really. Yet, it was very poignant.

There are different ways of looking at a comment like that. One thing I like is that it reminds me of the club's attitude coming out of Spring Training in 2000, especially pertaining to Frank and the addition by subtraction of Navarro. This year, Royce's attitude is gone, Frank is working with Wriniak with management's blessing, and everyone seems like they could be on the same page.

KW brought up team work and the Angels as an example at Sox Fest on Sunday.

A guy asking KW why he didn't go after Robert Fick got booed by the crowd.

KW looked at the guy and said Robert Fick was never going to be a White Sox to the cheers of the crowd. Saying that Fick doesn't fit in with our team.

RKMeibalane
02-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by hose
KW brought up team work and the Angels as an example at Sox Fest on Sunday.

A guy asking KW why he didn't go after Robert Fick got booed by the crowd.

KW looked at the guy and said Robert Fick was never going to be a White Sox to the cheers of the crowd. Saying that Fick doesn't fit in with our team.

The more I read about Ken Williams, the more I'm convinced that he is finally beginning to understand.

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The more I read about Ken Williams, the more I'm convinced that he is finally beginning to understand.

I agree, I'm beginning to like this guy. My favorite thing about him is that he's not afraid to take risks because he knows what has to be done to improve this team. Yes, he screwed up with Ritchie, but I wouldn't call Wells a screw up. It was basically a guy who was going to be injured the entire next season for a 20 game winner in the previous season. How was he supposed to know Wells would stab us in the back? KW knows his team's needs and he addresses them. Pitching, done for the last 3 offseasons. The gap filled by the trades we made this offseason, done via free agency. I think he's actually going to turn into a respectable GM.

Lip Man 1
02-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Folks:

I agree that Williams certainly tries hard and that deserves recognition HOWEVER the moves still have to actually work don't they?

Like John Wayne said in one of his movies "trying don't get it done..."

Lip

TRL
02-07-2003, 08:42 PM
I think Kenny has always stressed the team concept. He wants guys to go out and play hard, and is always talking about taking care of business inside the clubhouse instead of in the media. However, I also remember last year the Sox talking about getting the college-type atmosphere, where guys are excited to go out and bust their butts. Hopefully it will work for the entire season this time around.

hose
02-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

I have to admit I had some bad thoughts when Kenny addressed the youngsters in the crowd and mentioned that if you are a "lefthanded hitting catcher with power" you have a real good chance to make it onto a MLB roster.

Mark Johnson hits 47 dingers for the A's.............

WhiteSox = Life
02-08-2003, 12:25 AM
I don't want to get off-topic, but I just want to mention something to TRL.

Your most cherished White Sox memory is mine also. I was at that same game when Valentin slid under the tag at home for the White Sox win.

That was one of the most, if not most recognizable, moments from that year, and in the last several years as a White Sox fan. FSN still shows Valentin sliding in head-first and jumping to his knees, arms in the air in a celebratory pose. Truly, a great moment.

On-topic, I, too, respect KW. After seeing him make futile trades, it was tough to like him. However, he always has tried to improve the team, and if, God forbid, this season doesn't work out how every White Sox fan wants it to, I'm still going to give KW credit for going out and doing his best to better the team. Unless, he doesn't make a crucial move at the Trading Deadline, but, we'll see when that comes.

:smile:

baggio202
02-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I don't want to get off-topic, but I just want to mention something to TRL.

Your most cherished White Sox memory is mine also. I was at that same game when Valentin slid under the tag at home for the White Sox win.

That was one of the most, if not most recognizable, moments from that year, and in the last several years as a White Sox fan. FSN still shows Valentin sliding in head-first and jumping to his knees, arms in the air in a celebratory pose. Truly, a great moment.

On-topic, I, too, respect KW. After seeing him make futile trades, it was tough to like him. However, he always has tried to improve the team, and if, God forbid, this season doesn't work out how every White Sox fan wants it to, I'm still going to give KW credit for going out and doing his best to better the team. Unless, he doesn't make a crucial move at the Trading Deadline, but, we'll see when that comes.

:smile:

JV also has my favorite memory...i was at piggley for the infamous "sammy sosa homer" by jose...4 of us (including redpinstripes) were in a section right behind homeplate just off to the first base side...we were the only sox fans in that section...when JV did his mocking of sosa i swear he was looking right at us..man did we go nuts...we were really ragging on the scrubs fans around us....what a great day

WhiteSox = Life
02-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Was that the same game where Paul Konerko came up with the bases loaded and two outs in one of the innings? I remember watching it on WGN as a Cubs telecast and Chimp Caray said, "Give this guy something off-speed to strike him out."

Next pitch, a change-up that probably just caught the outside corner at the knees. I'm sure Dip Caray was smiling then because not only did the Cubs have the lead, I believe, but he just showed how smart he really is.

However, that smile would be erased later when Valentin hit the solo shot and did his infamous imitation.

Chimp still had his moment with PK, though. That is, until Paulie came up and smacked a 3-run HR onto Waveland, putting the game out of reach.

Such a great game!