PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reinsdorf: The Upside

Mammoo
02-07-2003, 10:21 AM
We all remember when the Chairman went into the Sox Clubhouse last season and lambasted the team for their miserable performance.

I agree that this tactic may have undermined the authority of Jerry Manual and Ken Williams but it demonstrated that he wants to win and that he feels the fans deserve more.

JR and KW backed up their words to the team by giving them more ammunition to overtake the Twins (Koch, Colon, White).

Sure we would prefer to keep the Comiskey name on the ball Park, but all proceeds from the naming deal goes to make the park better. Again, Reinsdorf responds to the needs and wants of fans

That's all you can ask of your team's management!

moochpuppy
02-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Again, Reinsdorf responds to the needs and wants of fans

Sure, he responds, but he doesn't always fulfill the needs and wants of the fans.

Procol Harum
02-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Hmmmmm....let's see, Jerry Reinsdorf the upside....he didn't lay waste to the eastern borderlands of the Roman Empire...he's been cleared in the Lindbergh case...had nothing to do (as far as I know) with the New Coke...has never insisted that all Comiskey/U.S. Cellular churro stands be replaced with cottage cheese outlets....

fuzzy_patters
02-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Sure, he responds, but he doesn't always fulfill the needs and wants of the fans.

This is true, but that still makes him better than 2/3 of the major sports owners in this country. He's definetly the best one in Chicago, and he has the six NBA rings and four MLB division banners to prove it.

EnricoPallazzo
02-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

He needs to do more than respond to our needs. He needs to wrest this town from the incompetent grasp of the cute little hobbit team up north. Dramatic moves are called for. I sure would love to see an effort to land Beltran. A few Steinbrenneresque moves could start the process.

Chicago hasn't always been a Cubs town and it doesn't have to remain so, but until Reinsdorf sees the big picture the Sox will remain a small market team in a very large market. Chicago is there for the taking.

soxnut
02-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
This is true, but that still makes him better than 2/3 of the major sports owners in this country. He's definetly the best one in Chicago, and he has the six NBA rings and four MLB division banners to prove it.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT :D:

Hangar18
02-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Reinsdorf Reacts...instead of Proacts.
He never shouldve built that stadium.
He shouldve asked me first.

moochpuppy
02-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
and he has the six NBA rings and four MLB division banners to prove it.

And he'd trade those six in for one World Series title. :)

I will admit he is the best of the sports owners in Chicago but that's really not saying much.

Hangar18
02-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
He needs to do more than respond to our needs. He needs to wrest this town from the incompetent grasp of the cute little hobbit team up north. Dramatic moves are called for. I sure would love to see an effort to land Beltran. A few Steinbrenneresque moves could start the process.

Chicago hasn't always been a Cubs town and it doesn't have to remain so, but until Reinsdorf sees the big picture the Sox will remain a small market team in a very large market. Chicago is there for the taking.

JERRY....ARE YOU READING THIS? You do these two things....
and the Fans will BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU. TRUST ME.
WE WANT TO WIN.....NOW.

Kilroy
02-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo

Piss on the Cubs!

I get tired of hearing the Cubs mentioned in what the Sox need to do. What the Sox need to do is win the World Series. Whatever Cub related fallout that comes from that is a bonus. But I don't want my team, or its management focusing on the Cubs at all.

EnricoPallazzo
02-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Piss on the Cubs!

I get tired of hearing the Cubs mentioned in what the Sox need to do. What the Sox need to do is win the World Series. Whatever Cub related fallout that comes from that is a bonus. But I don't want my team, or its management focusing on the Cubs at all.

The White Sox are in an epic battle for the baseball souls of millions of little Chicagoans, born and yet to be born. These poor little souls deserve better than to be lead down the path of baseball silliness. They must be given the opportunity to find REAL baseball. The Cubs are in the way! They must be dealt with.

doogiec
02-07-2003, 11:54 AM
His main problem is he never learned how to deal with the media. During the 1994 strike he was the most outspoken of the owners, but in reality he went along with 3/4 of the owners and all of the players in forcing that strike. But since he was in front of the camera, instead of cowering in the meeting rooms like the other owners, he is vilified as the force that caused the strike. That strike would have happened even if he was against it.

This year he makes the comment that not all Sox fans want to win as much as he does. The comment he should have made, and maybe what he was thinking was "In order to draw 2.5 million to 3 million fans, we need to attract people who don't care as much about the product on the field as they do the atmosphere of the ballpark, along with the great fans that already come out..."

And, of course, he should never have made the "crazy if you think we're going to catch Cleveland" remark. But you know what, if you asked 100 Sox fans before that comment if we thought the team (at .500 at the time) would make the playoffs, 90 would have said the same thing. He was telling the truth. That team was mediocre at best.

Sometimes in dealing with the media and general public, sugar coating things works. He doesn't seem to want to do that.

jortafan
02-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
And, of course, he should never have made the "crazy if you think we're going to catch Cleveland" remark. But you know what, if you asked 100 Sox fans before that comment if we thought the team (at .500 at the time) would make the playoffs, 90 would have said the same thing. He was telling the truth. That team was mediocre at best.

At last! I was starting to think I was the only person who felt like that one comment was the one time JR told the truth. It was one of the most honest things I've ever heard from an owner.

Lip Man 1
02-07-2003, 12:47 PM
I could write a book on this (who knows someday maybe I will) but this in essense is Jerry Reinsdorf:

"Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs..."-Jerry Reinsdorf on WMVP radio last Summer.

and this "I want to win more then they do..."-Jerry Reinsdorf last week saying he wants to win more then the fans.

Sure Jerry wants to win more then we do, however he continues to call his team a "small market" franchise in the nation's 3rd largest market.

Hmmm....must be the new math!

Lip