PDA

View Full Version : Konerko on ESPN morning show

FoulkeFan
02-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Did anyone else hear PK this morning on ESPN? He didn't have much new to say, but it was great to hear him on a national show.

Brian26
02-07-2003, 02:03 PM
I haven't heard a whole lot of negative or positive feelings about the morning show on AM 1000 on the board. Personally, I really enjoy listening to Golic and Greenberg. I find Greenberg to be over-intellectual at times, but never in the snooty "better than you" way that Bernstein is. Golic is the rare player-turned-broadcaster who still seems humble and personable. And, neither of them seems to take themselves too seriously, as they'll rip into each other all the time in a fun way. It's a national show, so they don't focus on Chicago sports as much as the Score. Yet, after listening to them for 30 minutes in the morning while I'll get ready for work, I don't feel like 10 tons of bricks just fell on top of me. They know their stuff and it's really a step above the Score. In a bizarre way, the program just seems much classier than anything on 670.

:wills

"Don't forget to listen to me. NEXTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!"

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I haven't heard a whole lot of negative or positive feelings about the morning show on AM 1000 on the board. Personally, I really enjoy listening to Golic and Greenberg. I find Greenberg to be over-intellectual at times, but never in the snooty "better than you" way that Bernstein is. Golic is the rare player-turned-broadcaster who still seems humble and personable. And, neither of them seems to take themselves too seriously, as they'll rip into each other all the time in a fun way. It's a national show, so they don't focus on Chicago sports as much as the Score. Yet, after listening to them for 30 minutes in the morning while I'll get ready for work, I don't feel like 10 tons of bricks just fell on top of me. They know their stuff and it's really a step above the Score. In a bizarre way, the program just seems much classier than anything on 670.

:wills

"Don't forget to listen to me. NEXTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!"

You said it. ESPN is much more professional than the Score. The only downside is the lack of local programming. They should add more local programming, and they'd be a much better station overall. IMO, give Julie Sweica a daily show. I'd love that, and it would increase ratings.

kevingrt
02-07-2003, 05:52 PM
ESPN is so much better then the Score, and they are so much more professional. The only problem is the lack of a local focus, but that all comes from the big men at Bristol who really control all of the programming. If we could get a late night show after the Bulls and UIC games and a morning show that would make ESPN far and above the best in Chicago. WSCR has Boers and Bernsy and J. Hood. Those are the only good radio hosts. Jiggs is okay by the way. The rest are crap. If somehow ESPN Radio 1000 got either of them or moved Grobber and T-Dub to late nites or someone like Willis, Carmen, or Silvy.

ESPN Radio 1000 is much better and deserves more respect. Mac is awesome!

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
ESPN is so much better then the Score, and they are so much more professional. The only problem is the lack of a local focus, but that all comes from the big men at Bristol who really control all of the programming. If we could get a late night show after the Bulls and UIC games and a morning show that would make ESPN far and above the best in Chicago. WSCR has Boers and Bernsy and J. Hood. Those are the only good radio hosts. Jiggs is okay by the way. The rest are crap. If somehow ESPN Radio 1000 got either of them or moved Grobber and T-Dub to late nites or someone like Willis, Carmen, or Silvy.

ESPN Radio 1000 is much better and deserves more respect. Mac is awesome!

J-Hood would be great on ESPN. With a more professional station, I think he'd really shine. Although I'm not the biggest fan of Boers and Bernstein, I guess they'd be okay. Jiggs is too one-dimensional. Wills, Carmen, and Silvy wouldn't be any good in a show that they host IMO (excluding pre,post). Sweica would be the best, I wish they would get her.

FoulkeFan
02-07-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't know how much to read into this, but Greenberg said Paulie was from "his" Chicago White Sox. Of course, the other day he was saying how horrible Comiskey (oops I mean U.S. Cellular Field!) was, too, so you never know.

kevingrt
02-07-2003, 06:25 PM
ESPN Radio- Paul Konerko (http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/index#)

Here is a link to the interview. Go under "Did You Hear" and the title of the interview is called "Chicago Hope."

Quick Description:

"Mike and Mike: His dispute with Frank Thomas is over. Paul Konerko looks forward to playing for a restocked White Sox team"

Jjav829
02-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
I don't know how much to read into this, but Greenberg said Paulie was from "his" Chicago White Sox. Of course, the other day he was saying how horrible Comiskey (oops I mean U.S. Cellular Field!) was, too, so you never know.

Greenie is a Chicago guy, so it's possible that hes a White Sox fan.

I didn't hear the interview but from the clips I heard he was a real stand up guy. When asked about the Frank situation he said that he wasn't misquoted or anything (like many athletes claim) and that he probably shouldn't have said it in public but the media caught him at the right time. He also said that while he might not have handled it right, he shouldn't have been in the situation to criticize a teammate. Ahem...true leader.