PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Park facts

moochpuppy
02-06-2003, 04:26 PM
- Chicago Cubs played their 1918 World Series home games here to take advantage of its large capacity.

(the following one I did not know):

- The tradition of playing the Star-Spangled Banner at baseball games started here in 1918. League officials had considered cancelling the World Series due to World War I, until they learned that American soldiers in France were looking forward to knowing the results of the Series. During the seventh-inning stretch of the first game, the band suddenly started playing the song as a patriotic gesture. Players and spectators stood, took off their hats, and sang.

dllrbll7
02-06-2003, 07:47 PM
I never knew that the cubs played to world series at Comiskey. It just shows how different things must have been back then because there would no way i would go along with the sox playing in wrigley field for any reason.

T Dog
02-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
The tradition of playing the Star-Spangled Banner at baseball games started here in 1918. League officials had considered cancelling the World Series due to World War I, until they learned that American soldiers in France were looking forward to knowing the results of the Series. During the seventh-inning stretch of the first game, the band suddenly started playing the song as a patriotic gesture. Players and spectators stood, took off their hats, and sang.

I had seen a couple of references in popular fiction to the Star-Spangled Banner tradition beginning in 1918 -- almost two decades before it became the national anthem -- but I could never find documentation of the fact. I would be interested in knowing your source.

MarkEdward
02-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
I never knew that the cubs played to world series at Comiskey. It just shows how different things must have been back then because there would no way i would go along with the sox playing in wrigley field for any reason.

Did the Sox have a big rivalry with the Cubs back in the early 1900s? They never played in the regular season, and only met in the 1906 World Series. I would think that the Tigers and Athletics would have been bigger rivals back in those early decades.

Kilroy
02-07-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by T Dog
I had seen a couple of references in popular fiction to the Star-Spangled Banner tradition beginning in 1918 -- almost two decades before it became the national anthem -- but I could never find documentation of the fact. I would be interested in knowing your source.

That fact is documented in Ken Burns' Baseball, the PBS documentary that tells the history of the sport from 1870 thru 1994...

VeeckAsInWreck
02-07-2003, 02:48 AM
- Chicago Cubs played their 1918 World Series home games here to take advantage of its large capacity.

Had the Cubs not choked :D: in the 1984 NLCS, Comiskey Park would have hosted the 1984 World Series between the Cubs and Tigers.

Awwww what a shame!

moochpuppy
02-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by T Dog

Here's the source (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/comisk.htm), T Dog.

moochpuppy
02-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Had the Cubs not choked :D: in the 1984 NLCS, Comiskey Park would have hosted the 1984 World Series between the Cubs and Tigers.

Awwww what a shame!

Actually Veeck, it would have been worse than that for the Cubs. The league was going to make them play at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wrigle.htm)

however, Cubs management insisted that the team was in danger of leaving Wrigley if lights weren’t installed, and Major League Baseball threatened to make the Cubs play postseason games at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Actually Veeck, it would have been worse than that for the Cubs. The league was going to make them play at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/wrigle.htm)

Unfortunately, I can't find the link, but the Tribune ran a story a year or two ago. In it they discussed the eerie similarities between the 1984 and 2001 White Sox. In the article, the Tribune reported that had the Cubs reached the World Series in 1984, They would have played their games at Comiskey Park. Only because MLB wanted to play night games.

Again, sorry that I don't have the link but my memory is not gone yet! :gulp:

WhiteSox = Life
02-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Did the Sox have a big rivalry with the Cubs back in the early 1900s? They never played in the regular season, and only met in the 1906 World Series. I would think that the Tigers and Athletics would have been bigger rivals back in those early decades.

Actually, it seems like the Cubs' biggest rival was the Detroit Tigers (though the Athletics bothered them, too, as you'll see in a minute). After the White Sox beat the Cubs in 1906 for the World Series, the Cubs defeated the Tigers in 1907 and 1908!

That's not all of it, though.

In 1935, when the Cubs got to the World Series again, they lost to the Tigers.

But, wait! There's more!

In 1945, the Cubs faced the Tigers yet again! And, they lost that time, too.

So, it seems that the Chicago Cubs and the Detroit Tigers have quite a history in the World Series.

In fact, the Cubs have a long (believe it or not) history in the World Series!

1906 - Lost to Chicago White Sox
1907 - Won against Detroit Tigers
1908 - Won against Detriot Tigers
1910 - Lost to Philadelphia Athletics
1918 - Lost to Boston Red Sox
1929 - Lost to Philadelphia Athletics
1932 - Lost to New York Yankees
1935 - Lost to Detroit Tigers
1938 - Lost to New York Yankees
1945 - Lost to Detroit Tigers

0-1 versus the White Sox ; 2-2 versus the Tigers ; 0-2 versus the Athletics ; 0-1 versus the Red Sox ; 0-2 versus the Yankees.

Final standings : The Chicago Cubs are 2-8 all-time in the World Series!

Awwww what a shame!

Then they could've been 2-and-11.

:smile:

T Dog
02-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Here's the source (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/comisk.htm), T Dog.

Thanks. It's nice to have something more reliable than newspaper columnists.

DVG
02-08-2003, 11:44 PM
. In the article, the Tribune reported that had the Cubs reached the World Series in 1984, They would have played their games at Comiskey Park. Only because MLB wanted to play night games.

:gulp:

Huh? Where in the world did you read that? That is a flat-out lie
and myth and if you saw it in the Tribune, I am not the least bit
surprised. MLB's plan for the 1984 World Series was to switch
games 1,2, 6 and 7, scheduled for the NL park, to the AL park
in the event that the Cubs made it because NBC wanted those
games played at night. Games 3, 4 and 5 were switched to
Wrigley Field because they were on the weekend and scheduled
for the daytime. I remember when it was done. There was never
any plan to play the 1984 World Series at Comiskey Park. That's
either incredibly sloppy reporting or deliberate misinformation.
Given the way some so-called "journalists" are, I'd say it's the
first one.

A.T. Money
02-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

Final standings : The Chicago Cubs are 2-8 all-time in the World Series!

Then they could've been 2-and-11.

:smile:

The Sox could've been 3-0 too.

Instead they blew what could have been a dynasty.