PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the world series?

Bmr31
02-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Who is your pre-season favorite? and why?

TheBigHurt
02-06-2003, 02:23 PM
its gotta be the Chisox i mean com on now with the great 1-2 punch we've been hearing about. Garland and Wright should be a solid 3-4 so of course im picking Chisox.

Chisox OVER St. Louis in 7 games in the WORLD SERIES

WRITE IT DOWN

ohh and Big Frank MVP :D:

Bmr31
02-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
its gotta be the Chisox i mean com on now with the great 1-2 punch we've been hearing about. Garland and Wright should be a solid 3-4 so of course im picking Chisox.

Chisox OVER St. Louis in 7 games in the WORLD SERIES

WRITE IT DOWN

ohh and Big Frank MVP :D:

Homer! lol i hope you are right...

WinningUgly!
02-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Hey, I've predicted World Series Championships for White Sox teams that were a lot worse than this one...no reason to change now.http://www.themorlocks.com/talk/images/smiles/gene.gif

moochpuppy
02-06-2003, 02:29 PM
It's got to be Oakland. They have The Great Chris Singleton.

Bmr31
02-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
It's got to be Oakland. They have The Great Chris Singleton.

I went with Oakland, too. Some day, that starting pitching has to pay off.....altough i am concerned about who is going to close for them.

WinningUgly!
02-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
I went with Oakland, too. Some day, that starting pitching has to pay off.....altough i am concerned about who is going to close for them. I feel the same way about Boston.

TheBigHurt
02-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
It's got to be Oakland. They have The Great Chris Singleton. +

lol come on now

Bobby Thigpen
02-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately if I want to be realistic I have to go with the Yankees. If they are even in a race in September I have the feeling George may just buy every other team in the majors and send all of the best talent to the Yankees. How does a rotation of Randy Johnson, Clemens, Schilling, Maddux, and Pedro Martinez sound? :smile:

ChiSoxKid
02-06-2003, 04:32 PM
BT, got to agree with you...the Yanks are the pick because of their ability to secure talent for the September stretch. I am eager though for their success to end. When will that be?

kevingrt
02-06-2003, 04:38 PM
WhiteSox all the way this year! But then again that's what I say every year!

gogosoxgogo
02-06-2003, 05:15 PM
This is a joke, as I type this, the White Sox have 12 votes with Oakland being second at 4. Come on! Imagine some fan from another team reading this poll. They'd be on the floor rolling around laughing right now. Sox fans are supposed to be pessimistic, not optimistic, what's wrong with you people?

Anyway, my vote went to the Yankees due to their 8 starting pitchers, amazing closer, decent setup men, and one of the top lineups in baseball. Oakland is close, but I don't fear those deadly 4 and 5 starters, or anyone in their lineup except Tejada and Chavez. Angels won't repeat. They were a fluke. Minnesota shouldn't be up there. They have a good staff, but Hunter will be their only run producer next year. Arizona is dominating with Schilling and Johnson, but a lot depends on the rest of their starters with Ankiel gone, and a lot of pressure will fall on Logo. St. Louis may have the best lineup in baseball, or at least close to it, but Morris is the only pitcher I'm worried about. Other candidates, though I wouldn't pick them would be Seatle, Boston, and the Braves.

Bmr31
02-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
This is a joke, as I type this, the White Sox have 12 votes with Oakland being second at 4. Come on! Imagine some fan from another team reading this poll. They'd be on the floor rolling around laughing right now. Sox fans are supposed to be pessimistic, not optimistic, what's wrong with you people?

Anyway, my vote went to the Yankees due to their 8 starting pitchers, amazing closer, decent setup men, and one of the top lineups in baseball. Oakland is close, but I don't fear those deadly 4 and 5 starters, or anyone in their lineup except Tejada and Chavez. Angels won't repeat. They were a fluke. Minnesota shouldn't be up there. They have a good staff, but Hunter will be their only run producer next year. Arizona is dominating with Schilling and Johnson, but a lot depends on the rest of their starters with Ankiel gone, and a lot of pressure will fall on Logo. St. Louis may have the best lineup in baseball, or at least close to it, but Morris is the only pitcher I'm worried about. Other candidates, though I wouldn't pick them would be Seatle, Boston, and the Braves.

LOL if this wasnt a sox board, the sox wouldnt even be an option in the poll.......

A.T. Money
02-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I'm biased. But so what. I have a feeling this year will be special. I think New York is on the decline. They're feeling their age. You saw what the Angels did to them.

SoxxoS
02-06-2003, 05:43 PM
The Yankees have to be pre-season favorites. Their pitching staff is good enough for 1 last go around. After this year, I think David Wells, Clemens, Hitchcock are going to hang it up. But even those 3 really dont matter...Moose, Weaver, Petitte, Lieber next year...anyway.

Not to mention "Godzilla", that guy named Jeter, that guy named Giambi. I mean, its unreal. I can just keep on naming all-stars. Barring injury (which is a high possibility) they are the frontrunners for the series.

Foulke You
02-06-2003, 06:21 PM
I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the defending champion Angels have a great shot at repeating. Everyone ignored this team last year and they won it all, they are bringing almost the whole team back and there is no reason to think that Oakland has the playoff poise and savvy that Anaheim has to dethrone them. They also showed that they can handle the Yankees. The Angels have a knack for coming up with the clutch hit when they need to. Eckstein is a fiery pest, Percival isn't going anywhere either, and Glaus will also be back. You can talk about Hudson, Zito, and Mulder but the fact remains that the A's choke every year in round 1. People will forget about the Angels but I think they'll surprise everyone again.

P.S. I think the Sox have a good shot at the AL Central and possibly do some damage in October but I'm cautiously optimistic about this season. 2000 had me on a high and 2001 and 2002 brought be back to Earth.

Dadawg_77
02-06-2003, 06:39 PM
I voted and most of the other voters chosed the Sox because in Spring hope is eternal. So lets go go White Sox.....

gogosoxgogo
02-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Well, no one so far has picked an NL team. So without starting a new thread, who is GOING to the World Series?

I already picked the Yanks to win it, now add in the Cards as NL champs.

BTW, in addition to my forgotten team list, the Giants should be an option in this poll (not my choice).

Unregistered
02-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Well, no one so far has picked an NL team. So without starting a new thread, who is GOING to the World Series?

I already picked the Yanks to win it, now add in the Cards as NL champs.

BTW, in addition to my forgotten team list, the Giants should be an option in this poll (not my choice). and maybe the Braves, too...

TheBigHurt
02-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
WhiteSox all the way this year! But then again that's what I say every year!

dont remind us!!!!!!

TimChamp
02-06-2003, 07:11 PM
For some odd reason, I have this gut feeling that the A's will win, even though my heart is hoping for our White Sox...

Champ out...

fuzzy_patters
02-06-2003, 10:25 PM
In 1983 the Sox won the division but lost in the playoffs due in part to playoff inexperience. In 1993 the Sox won the division but lost in the playoffs due to playoff inexperience. In 2003...I think you see where I'm going here.

The 1990 White Sox were a young team that came out of nowhere to post the second best regular season record in baseball. They followed that up with a third and second place finish including losing to the Twins. Contributing to those dissapointments was the fact that the young team had trouble dealing with the pressure of being the favorite. Does this sound familiar? Does this sound like 2000-2002?

Now that we have established that the Sox will win the 2003 division title, here is why I believe the Sox will win the World Series. These Sox, unlike their predecessors, have playoff experience. Yes, that thing we didn't get to see in 1994 is finally here in 2003. Once again proving my theory that the "window of opportunity" Jerry Reinsdorf speaks of building towards is a 10 year cycle. Third times a charm! :)

kermittheefrog
02-06-2003, 11:54 PM
I'd really love to say the Sox but I'm saying Oakland, they are due a string of postseason luck.

WhiteSox = Life
02-07-2003, 12:22 AM
And the White Sox aren't due for a World Series?

White Sox last World Series appearance was a WS loss in 1959. The Oakland Athletics last World Series appearance was also a loss in 1990. Thing is, they had won the championship the year before.

The Oakland Athletics may win the World Series. Of course, they need to stop blowing it and get through past the first round, to start. After that, who knows?

All in all, I think the White Sox are due more than the A's. Well, at least I hope they are. For starters, a 1989 Athletics' World Series showing would be quite acceptable.

:smile:

kermittheefrog
02-07-2003, 01:31 AM
I think the difference between the Sox being due and the A's being due is the A's have had a series of great teams over the last 3 or 4 years and the Sox haven't. The A's current club is due to rock socks in the postseason. Can't say the same about the Sox current club.

I know thats rather unscientific but the A's are the second best team in the AL after the Yankees right now. That gets them somewhere. I'll play a hunch and say they go all the way. Besides saying the Sox would win it all last year didn't get us anywhere.

gogosoxgogo
02-07-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
and maybe the Braves, too...

I already picked them,

Other candidates, though I wouldn't pick them would be Seatle, Boston, and the Braves.

Anyway, for you people saying how the Sox are 'due'... give me a break. That means nothing. You think the baseball gods just magically say, "Well, the Sox haven't won in a while, let's let them win." That means nothing. If teams were 'due', the BoSox and Cubs would have won already as well.

moochpuppy
02-07-2003, 07:58 AM
What?!? No votes for the Twins????

The Sporting News seems to think the Twins will win it all over the Phillies.

Bmr31
02-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think the difference between the Sox being due and the A's being due is the A's have had a series of great teams over the last 3 or 4 years and the Sox haven't. The A's current club is due to rock socks in the postseason. Can't say the same about the Sox current club.

I know thats rather unscientific but the A's are the second best team in the AL after the Yankees right now. That gets them somewhere. I'll play a hunch and say they go all the way. Besides saying the Sox would win it all last year didn't get us anywhere.

Kermie why don't you just say it. The A's are a better team than the sox and more deserving to be "due".

kermittheefrog
02-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Kermie why don't you just say it. The A's are a better team than the sox and more deserving to be "due".

Didn't I just say that?