PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Have The Better Career?

joecrede
02-06-2003, 02:02 PM
A couple of years ago I would have said Rauch, but I share the same concerns about him as kermit does.

Wright on the other hand showed decent improvement in the second half of the season. His ERA dropped from 5.72 to 4.61 and his K/9 increased from 6 to 8.

TheBigHurt
02-06-2003, 02:09 PM
i have to say Wright based on the past season

Hullett_Fan
02-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
A couple of years ago I would have said Rauch, but I share the same concerns about him as kermit does.

Wright on the other hand showed decent improvement in the second half of the season. His ERA dropped from 5.72 to 4.61 and his K/9 increased from 6 to 8.

Great question. I've answered Rauch...but it wasn't an enthusiastic vote for him. I just want him to be a serviciable #5 this year (if we don't pick up Rogers) and get some innings under his belt so we can see the potential we've been hearing about.

I'm a big fan of Danny Wright and that was a great 2nd half. Would like to see him get the ERA closer to 4 or at least 4.20 and keep the ball out of the zone (i.e. give up fewer HRs)...he should be able to get guys swinging at the high heat.

WinningUgly!
02-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Great question. I've answered Rauch...but it wasn't an enthusiastic vote for him. I just want him to be a serviciable #5 this year (if we don't pick up Rogers) and get some innings under his belt so we can see the potential we've been hearing about.

I'm a big fan of Danny Wright and that was a great 2nd half. Would like to see him get the ERA closer to 4 or at least 4.20 and keep the ball out of the zone (i.e. give up fewer HRs)...he should be able to get guys swinging at the high heat.

Rauch will eventually be a 1 or 2 type guy. I'm not sure that Wright will ever reach that level, although he could be a very solid starter for many years.

TheBigHurt
02-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Rauch will eventually be a 1 or 2 type guy. I'm not sure that Wright will ever reach that level, although he could be a very solid starter for many years.

THATS SAYING A LOT

i do feel Wright will be pretty solid

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-06-2003, 03:20 PM
i voted scott ruffcorn. he is probably a good businessman or something now, right?

jeremyb1
02-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
i voted scott ruffcorn. he is probably a good businessman or something now, right?

i actually chose to intepret the question incorrectly and answer based on that. i think that odds are better of right being decent to good than rauch but that rauch has a much better chance of being an ace than wright. basically, rauch is more of a wildcard but he has better potential than wright.

gogosoxgogo
02-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Wright next season. Rauch long term.

baggio202
02-07-2003, 09:20 AM
ive always been a danny wright fan....he has come along way from his 2-14 (?) senior season at college...i think he is gonna learn a lot under bartolo colon too...

fuzzy_patters
02-07-2003, 10:08 AM
I believe Dan Wright will be an ace someday. His stuff is so good that the Sox drafted him despite a 2-14 college record and an ERA over 6. Just three years later, he has already become a serviceable pitcher and may have the best "stuff" on the Sox staff. He has a live fastball and a sharp breaking curveball. What's not to love? Once Wright learns to harness his tools, he will be an outstanding pitcher.

harwar
02-07-2003, 10:17 AM
I've been saying for some time now that i think Rauch will end up being a middle relief guy.

idseer
02-07-2003, 10:20 AM
i am amazed at the short term memories around here. rauch was the greatest thing to ever hit this team the year before last. one injury and a recovery from same and he's a forgotten man ... put on a par with wright of all people.

i wish this thread could be brought back about 3 years from now.

jeremyb1
02-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I believe Dan Wright will be an ace someday. His stuff is so good that the Sox drafted him despite a 2-14 college record and an ERA over 6. Just three years later, he has already become a serviceable pitcher and may have the best "stuff" on the Sox staff. He has a live fastball and a sharp breaking curveball. What's not to love? Once Wright learns to harness his tools, he will be an outstanding pitcher.

i don't know. i'd have to say that garland and colon both definately have better stuff than wright. wright has good stuff but its hard for me to say its great. he developed a pretty good outpitch with the new grip nardi taught him on his curve last season. he used to throw harder in the minors (mid 90s) but his velocity has dropped off some now that he tries to throw a fastball with more movement. in some ways he is still pretty raw so it'll be interesting to see how he develops.

kermittheefrog
02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

I said Wright, I really do feel like Rauch is too much of an injury risk right now. This could easily change in a year though.

kevingrt
02-07-2003, 04:57 PM
What a great post! Incredibly tough decision... I think Rauch will come out better because he has more potential and talent. He could also become a very intimidating and overpowering pitcher on the mound for future years to come.

I'm not saying DW won't be good, but Rauch will become better!