PDA

View Full Version : Baseball as America

Cheryl
02-06-2003, 11:25 AM
That's the name of the new exhibit which opens this weekend at the Field Museum. I went to the Member's Preview last night. It's a traveling exhibit put on by the Hall of Fame, so if you're not in Chicago, you can check the HOF website and see if it's going to be near you. I think just about everyone who posts here would enjoy it.

First of all, as I was walking up the steps into the museum last night, there was Grampa and Grandson right in front of me. Grampa turns to Grandson and says, "You know what we should do sometime? Come into the city and see a Cubs game." Grandson replied, "But the Cubs suck!" Believe it or not, the night got better after that.

The exhibit is arranged thematically rather than chronologically. The first part of the exhibit is an overview of what the game means to the American public. This section has a lot of memorbilia relating baseball and patriotism, including Ray Schalk's 1917 jersey with the stars on the Sox logo. There's also a promotional baseball recoverd from the rubble of the World Trade Center. The other sections are on baseball as a business, baseball portrayed in various arts, diversity in baseball and the mechanics and equipment. It's all very interesting and informative and I'm already planning another trip to see what I missed.

I have to plug the Field Museum a bit also-- I'm a member, so I get tickets to these previews. Also last night--free beer and hot dogs.

Brian26
02-06-2003, 11:42 AM
The Field is one of the unsung treasures of Chicago. I went to the Star Wars Exhibit there two years. Everyone should go at least once to check out Sue. She's amazing.

moochpuppy
02-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the preview Cheryl. It sounds like a very interesting exhibit. I'll have to check to see if it's making a trip up here to the Twin Cities. :smile:

Randar68
02-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Very interesting exhibit. I also got the chance last night to see the preview. There were a LOT of knick-knack type things to see.

BTW, they had a bat there that somebody used (Edd Rouch??) that was 57 oz!!!!!!! Babe used one that was 39 oz IIRC. Signed contract of Babe's transfer, and lot's more.

Pretty interesting...

Pete_SSAC
02-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I have to plug the Field Museum a bit also-- I'm a member, so I get tickets to these previews. Also last night--free beer and hot dogs.

Free beer? And I MISSED IT?

I'm a member too but didn't go since, I couldn't with work and all.

Missed my chance to get sloppy drunk and hit on those naked statues.

- Pete :gulp:

A.T. Money
02-06-2003, 01:45 PM
When does this exhibit officially open? I wanna go.

Cheryl
02-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Saturday. There's more information here. (http://www.fmnh.org/baseball/plan_visit.html)

Cheryl
02-06-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Free beer? And I MISSED IT?

I'm a member too but didn't go since, I couldn't with work and all.

- Pete :gulp:

Pete: Have you ever gotten fed at any of the previews before? I saw the bars and thought, oh, cash bar, cool. But it was FREE! I think maybe the sponsors of the exhibit (Sox, Brewers, and some other team) may have paid the caterers.

Randar68
02-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Pete: Have you ever gotten fed at any of the previews before? I saw the bars and thought, oh, cash bar, cool. But it was FREE! I think maybe the sponsors of the exhibit (Sox, Brewers, and some other team) may have paid the caterers.

The higher donor level events always have free beer/food. At least the last few I have been to. The "all-donor" event s have no/little food and cash bars...

Cheryl
02-06-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, yeah, but I just split a family membership with a friend. If I was giving them big bucks, I'd expect to be wined and dined.

SouthSideHitman
02-06-2003, 09:34 PM
I saw it in new york last spring and I thought it was very good. It had a nice mix of paraphenalia, information and audio-visual stuff. Although, I do admit that it was March and anything that included balls and bats looked pretty good right about then.

sox_fan_forever
02-06-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm really excited about this exhibit! I'm trying to figure out a day that I can go.

Procol Harum
02-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Ah luv the Field Museum....the exhibit is an extra good reason to go down there. Stunningly good p.r. move on the part of the Hall to concoct a moving exhibit--at least I can take my boys to that , seeing as I don't see myself in the neighborhood of Cooperstown, NY any time soon.

TRL
02-07-2003, 12:10 PM
I think it is great. It gives some of us Midwesterners a chance to see a part of the hall. I still hope to make the pilgrimage to Cooperstown someday though.

SouthSideHitman
02-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Today's trib had an article on the exhibit hosted by - gasp - Buehrle and Billy Pierce, NO cubs! Are the times changin'? Anyway, it sounded like they had more stuff than they had at new york last year, plus some local stuff. I might have to head down there, if nothing else for the numerous kinds of hot dogs.