PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle overworked

Dub25
02-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Has anyone seen this week's USA Today's Sports Weekly? In the baseball fantasy preview they have a list of the top ten burnout canidates and Buehrle is ranked 4th. The paper says quote " he continued to pitch well last year, but there was a drop off in effectiveness, and it was bigger than it looked". Didn't he improve his win total last year along with keeping his ERA about the same as it was for the 01 season. I didn't notice a difference in the two seasons he has pitched did anyone else?

Bmr31
02-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Dub25
Has anyone seen this week's USA Today's Sports Weekly? In the baseball fantasy preview they have a list of the top ten burnout canidates and Buehrle is ranked 4th. The paper says quote " he continued to pitch well last year, but there was a drop off in effectiveness, and it was bigger than it looked". Didn't he improve his win total last year along with keeping his ERA about the same as it was for the 01 season. I didn't notice a difference in the two seasons he has pitched did anyone else?

Buehrle is not the type of pitcher who is easily overworked. I wouldnt worry about it at all.

nut_stock
02-06-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Buehrle is not the type of pitcher who is easily overworked.

I don't disagree, but what do you mean by that?

Bmr31
02-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I don't disagree, but what do you mean by that?

He is a "crafty" lefthander, who doesnt put a lot of pressure on his arm by throwing hard. Its more difficult for these guys to be overworked. Basically, its not as hard on the body.

jeremyb1
02-06-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Dub25

buehrle is a legitimate injury candidate because he's thrown a ton of innings for such a young pitcher. that said, his pitch counts haven't been outrageous and i disagree that his production fell a great deal last season. even if it did, it would be unreasonable to attribut it to fatigue simply because he coudln't repeat what was an unbelievable season for a 22 year old in '01.

gogosoxgogo
02-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Buehrle's fine. IMO, pitchers are wimps these days and are underworked. Oh how I'd like to see a return to the 4 man rotation where everyone pitches AT LEAST 200 innings.

Bobby Thigpen
02-06-2003, 10:00 AM
I would agree that the one thing we don't have to worry about with Buehrle is him being overworked and ready for an injury. Most of the guys who tear up their arms are flamethrowers or guys who throw pitches that put alot of strain on the arm(Bobby Thigpen). Buehrle is not one of those guys. The guys who encounter arm troubles are not pitchers but throwers. They just rare back and let it rip(Kerry Wood, Randy Johnson early in his career). Buehrle is a pitcher with an easy motion who hits spots and changes some speeds(think Greg Maddux, Jamie Moyer). Buehrle pitches much older than his age in that he knows the little ways to get guys out. He is an extremely valuable commodity.Which is exactly why we'll lose him in 2006.

harwar
02-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Last year at this time,he was at the top of the list for sophmore burnout because he had pitched so many innings the year before.I think Mark is going to be one of those guys who thrives on a heavy workload.

Huisj
02-06-2003, 10:14 AM
I smell a new theory from Phil Rogers . . . "The sox are doomed this year, any team with 4 pitchers who made 30 starts and threw 190 innings is bound to have injury problems."

maurice
02-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Any starting pitcher can suffer a serious injury in any season. See Sox in 2001. If anything, Buerhle is a lower risk because of his solid mechanics.

Heck, Ted Lyons pitched 307+ innings and threw 30 complete games in 34 starts at age 26 in 1927. He went on to have a pretty good career with the Sox.