PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the media?

koch44
02-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Why has the media bitched so much about the Sox changing their stadium to a corporate name, and when other teams have gone to a corporate name, the media seems to be ok with it? :angry:

TimChamp
02-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by koch44
Why has the media bitched so much about the Sox changing their stadium to a corporate name, and when other teams have gone to a corporate name, the media seems to be ok with it? :angry:

Simple, either a.) they have nothing else to talk about, b.) people in the media like to make controversies (Reinsdorf being cheap, Comiskey family crying foul play, renovations to the nose bleed seats that nobody uses anyway, etc.), or c.) they want to rain on the Sox' parade of good offseason moves that has left White Sox fans feeling good about this year...

I would bet that all three choices factor into this story...

Champ out...

jortafan
02-06-2003, 08:00 AM
May I suggest a d) to the list of possibilities?

When Comiskey Park was going through the political debate related to its destruction and replacement, there was little in the way of sentiment expressed for the history and character of the building. I seem to recall the people who tried to bring that issue up being regarded as freaks.

Now, of course, people are realizing what was lost when the old building came down. All that's left of the "tradition" is the old name, and that's about to leave to, so they're desperately trying to hang on to the one piece of tradition left -- one that admittedly doesn't mean much anymore.

So reason d) is "they feel guilty about letting the old park go without a fight and they're trying to make up for it now.

Dan H
02-06-2003, 09:41 AM
I don't have the time to monitor the entire media but it has not entirely criticized the Sox on this issue. Mike Downey of the Tribune gave fans a lecture about joining the 20th century. Greg Couch at the Sun-Times gave Rich Lindberg plenty of space to defend the name change. Murph and Fred had someone on their show defending the change. It is simplistic to say the whole media has come down on the Sox for this. And face it, when there is a change, there is a backlash. How long and bad the backlash is depends on how it is handled. Fans like myself who don't like the change are entitled to that opinion.

Bobby Thigpen
02-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Dan, I'm interested in why you don't like the change. What particular things do you not like?

moochpuppy
02-06-2003, 10:08 AM
I certainly don't remember this much hype over the new Bulls/Hawks stadium being called The United Center.

There has been so much positive vibe coming from the southside this offseason that the media took this opportunity to vent all their frustrations.

MarqSox
02-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I certainly don't remember this much hype over the new Bulls/Hawks stadium being called The United Center.

That's because it wasn't a name CHANGE. The UC hadn't previously existed, thus there was no personal affront to the people who enjoyed the previous name. However, if you'll recall, people bitched a major fit about the UC being built to begin with!

Try as you will, this is NOT an example of anti-Sox media. There's a lot of pissed off Sox fans (I'm not one of them, but I know several) and the media is merely reporting that fact.

moochpuppy
02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
That's because it wasn't a name CHANGE. The UC hadn't previously existed, thus there was no personal affront to the people who enjoyed the previous name. However, if you'll recall, people bitched a major fit about the UC being built to begin with!

Try as you will, this is NOT an example of anti-Sox media. There's a lot of pissed off Sox fans (I'm not one of them, but I know several) and the media is merely reporting that fact.

What's the difference if this park was named U.S. Cellular Field back in 1991 or 2003? Either way, this park has no link to the Sox past or Charles Comiskey. Now if the "original" Comiskey Park was named changed then I could see the beef.

Most Sox fans and others have been calling this a ballmall since it opened anyway, now it has a name to match it. The only difference now is that this name change will begin some exciting changes to make this into more of a park than a "mall", like most Sox fans having been bitching about in the first place.

T Dog
02-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

To focus on a segment of Sox fans, mixed with non-Sox fans, who are upset with the name change while ignoring the excitement of an apparent greater number of Sox fans who are looking forward to improvements to Sox Park is the definition of media bias.

RKMeibalane
02-06-2003, 12:00 PM
The media likes to point anyting questionable or negative about the Sox. That's just the way they are, and I don't expect them to change anytime soon.

There are a few Cubs fans who have taken their turns criticzing the Sox over the name change, but that's probably the result of their frustration over having done nothing this off-season. Dusty Baker may be their manager, but as someone on this board said, "Even if you get Jeff Gordon to drive a Hugo, it's still a Hugo."

Hangar18
02-06-2003, 12:15 PM
the media here has so much to work w in regards to the sox.
Cant believe theyre wasting all their time on just the USCELL name issue. Why dont they talk about how this team hasnt spent $$$ to get the next level???

or the Secret Renovations that WSI wasnt supposed to know about????

we know why though. Much easier to write FluffyCubby
articles about Dustys Toothpicks, or Sammys Party's, or
Where Kerry Wood Relaxes after a game, or Why Bobby Hill loves the Cubs, or how the new scout (who was stolen from cincy)
is best friends w the GM, or how this team could really be the one to go all the way.....
and other Irresponsible "journalism"than to write about
whats wrong with the Sox, or how this Owner has singlehandedly
alienated an Entire Fan Base, or how his knowledge of
"architecture" helped create one of the most Poorly designed
stadiums in History.....

that would be too much work for the media. no liquid lunches
then if that were the case....