PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Web Site!

Lip Man 1
02-05-2003, 06:45 PM
From The Sporting News:

What if we could transport great teams from different eras through time and space and watch them go head to head?

Eric Kamil built the answer on the Internet, creating WhatIfSports.com a website that lets you choose-FOR FREE - any two teams for a head to head computer simulation."

Gang I just played a game matching the 1964 White Sox against the 1983 White Sox and this site is GREAT! You have to pick the players and the batting order as well as select your starting pitchers. The computer then does the rest.

You can play ANY TEAM , from ANY YEAR in ANY MAJOR SPORT! (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)

This is great! (by the way, the 83 Sox behind LaMarr Hoyt beat the 64 Sox with Gary Peters 2-1 in 12 innings.)

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Umm.... Lip, have you ever heard of the game Strat-o-matic? Each roll of the dice is another at-bat? As a boomer, you probably recall their 60's-vintage advertisements in Baseball Digest and Boys' Life. You could get a hell of a deal on sea monkeys and x-ray glasses, too. :smile:

Anyway, today there are innummerable Strat-o-matic knock-offs utilizing the same concept based on real-life baseball statistics--except now they use a computer program to calculate the odds and play the game. I agree it's a lot of fun, but it is hardly new. I understand they've programmed computer software to do this exact same thing with another old game you've probably heard of, chess. :smile: :smile:

You really need to get out more often.

:)

pudge
02-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Yeah that's pretty old hat, but still fun to mess around with. I built one back in 2000 that runs the Sox vs. Cubs from that season. I think it's still posted, works on any current IE browser....

http://www.pennantchase.com/sbl/js_games/sbl_game/game_screen.htm

TheBigHurt
02-05-2003, 08:12 PM
wow this site is pretty dam cool

i played the 1999 dolphins marino's last year vs this yr super bowl champs bucs
THE SCORE WAS 38-31 bucs won

moochpuppy
02-06-2003, 09:02 AM
http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb/boxscore.asp?GameID=6753547&ad=1

Handled the 'spos rather easily.

harwar
02-06-2003, 10:20 AM
I did the 94 White Sox - expos thing quite some time ago,but i'm still not sure that it might have been the White Sox - braves in the 94 World Series.

Brian26
02-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Anyone ever play the Pursue the Pennant board game? I picked one up in '93. It's basically along the same lines as strat-o-matic, with some improvements to the game based on park conditions, etc. I'm not sure if they still make cards for the game anywhere. I'd love to pick up some updated roster cards though. For that matter, do they still make strat-o-matic cards? I believe there's a computer version, but can you still play the tabletop version?

DVG
02-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Umm.... Lip, have you ever heard of the game Strat-o-matic? Each roll of the dice is another at-bat? As a boomer, you probably recall their 60's-vintage advertisements in Baseball Digest and Boys' Life. You could get a hell of a deal on sea monkeys and x-ray glasses, too. :smile:

Anyway, today there are innummerable Strat-o-matic knock-offs utilizing the same concept based on real-life baseball statistics--except now they use a computer program to calculate the odds and play the game. I agree it's a lot of fun, but it is hardly new. I understand they've programmed computer software to do this exact same thing with another old game you've probably heard of, chess. :smile: :smile:

You really need to get out more often.

:)

I found the site last November and got pretty hooked on it for a
while. I work at night and my job is a slow one, so I had a lot
of time on my hands. It was fun to do, even if it is simply a new
twist to an old game. I'm too young to remember strat-o-matic
anyway. I did have sea monkeys, though.