PDA

View Full Version : O-o-oh for the long one!

kingpin_rcs
02-05-2003, 02:19 AM
I'm sure a lot of people here remember the people out in left field of Old Comiskey that used to hang signs. Some of them were:

"O-o-oh for the long one!"

and

"Pitch to Fisk at your risk."

Just wondering, are those people on this board? I was thinking about those signs, reminds me of good times.

BTW. Fisk autographed the sign with his name on it after the last game at Comiskey- that must be a cherished memory for those people.

Can anybody remember any other signs? They had a few. You do know who I'm talking about, right?

34 Inch Stick
02-05-2003, 08:57 AM
I remember the big bulls eye and Superstar Lamar being hung on bed sheets over the outfield wall.

duke of dorwood
02-05-2003, 11:52 AM
How about "Boom" Berg ?

Hullett_Fan
02-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I'm bringing one this season:

"Get A Whiff of our Colon"

This has been copyrighted, trademarked, etc.... :D:

Foulke You
02-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

This has been copyrighted, trademarked, etc.... :D: :)

LuvSox
02-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

This has been copyrighted, trademarked, etc.... :D: Is that a good idea? He does spell his name like part of your large intestine. " Hey, Cub fan, smell my colon!!!!"

RibbieRubarb
02-05-2003, 01:28 PM
I remember those guys back in 1997 or 98 while Jamie Navarro was pitching, they placed "R", "H", & "W" in the outfield instead of "K". That was HILARIOUS. I remember Hawk and Wimpy trying to figure out what they meant...then when they did, Hawk going:"Oh that ain't right, Wimpy" LOL

Brian26
02-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Anyone remember the wacky blonde in left field with the cheerleading pon poms? Don't remember seeing her much after '93 or '94.

duke of dorwood
02-05-2003, 02:07 PM
She disappeared in the 2001 season. I think she was there until they built the left field pen

soxnut
02-05-2003, 02:44 PM
I remember those banners. The "Sox Supporters" had one...do they still do that in the new park?

"Boomin' Baines" ---with a drawing of a cannon on it was another

I brought one to the old park, back in early '90 (before everyone knew how good they were going to be--except me, so there weren't many fans there to see it) It said " GO GO SOX---GET UP , GET DOWN, GET BUSY!!" :D: :D: :D: :?:

nixsox
02-05-2003, 02:57 PM
I remember the Oakland Sucks banners in 1990 when we were battling the A's

Cheryl
02-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Anyone remember the wacky blonde in left field with the cheerleading pon poms? Don't remember seeing her much after '93 or '94.

Pom Pon Girl? She used to split a season ticket with someone, they had a fight, the other person ended up with custody of those seats.

soxrme
02-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Best sign I ever saw at any ballpark. Right field, Claudell Washington playing right,(biggest waste in Sox history), signs says "Washington slept here".
Veeck wanted to feature pom pom girl on the front cover of the yearbook one year.

FanOf14
02-05-2003, 04:46 PM
I remember her...that broad got on my nerves something fierce.

Brian26
02-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Ugh. She had some mileage on her too.

:hawk

"I Luuuv Pom Pons!"

Hangar18
02-06-2003, 12:10 PM
When I was a kid, I remember the banners at old Comiskey.
They were some of the most Original, Creative, and Clever Signs
Id seen ANYWHERE in baseball. But then when sox moved
to the new park, there was an Unspoken Rule that tried to curb
banners. Same thing with Andy the Clown. Unbelievable
how this mgmt has slowly taken everything away from the Fans
of the White Sox. Harry, 7th inn stretch, banners, our stadium, free tv,

....Basically, Reinsdorf has taken away OUR DIGNITY. what do we have left, except to just be hardcore fans. ANY legitimate business that slowly committed this many Mgmt Blunders Could Never have lasted this long. The sox have slowly been dying, and only thing keeping it breathing this long has been the Undying support of people like us, and their Farm System. THATS IT.

Hangar18
02-06-2003, 12:19 PM
btw, Im the one that had the banner the last few years that
was in Bright Flourescent Green......and said

"Cut Payroll...Trade Reinsdorf"

ive had that sign taken away from me many times at
comiskey by security (but theyd give it back after the game)

Tragg
02-06-2003, 09:20 PM
"Oh for a long one" was a Harry Carey saying. My favorite Harry Carey saying was from the early 1970s: (paraphrasing) "This g.d. ken henderson - we trade a pitcher for his guy in order to win a penant, and he sends us right back down to the cellar."

CiscoCarlos
02-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Best sign I ever saw at any ballpark. Right field, Claudell Washington playing right,(biggest waste in Sox history), signs says "Washington slept here".
Veeck wanted to feature pom pom girl on the front cover of the yearbook one year.

Claudell inspired a lot of signs. We once bought one that simply said:
"Go to Hell, Claudell."

duke of dorwood
02-07-2003, 12:34 PM
I think there was a "Roof It Ron" for Kittle .

nixsox
02-07-2003, 01:14 PM
"Come on Spence over the Fence". For Jim Spencer

Lip Man 1
02-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Remember "Boomin' Baines" ? or "Ron Kittle Rookie-Of-The-Year"?

Lip

Mule Haas
02-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by CiscoCarlos
Claudell inspired a lot of signs. We once bought one that simply said:
"Go to Hell, Claudell."

I REMEMBER THAT. It was the lead banner paraded around the field between games of the banner day double header. It got past security, because one side said "CHET'S NO LEMON" and then when you got onto the field, it was turned around to reveal the true sentiment!

WELL DONE!

Mule Haas
02-07-2003, 06:44 PM
anyone remember Sox Supporter Jan Zavotney (sp?)? She was a hot looking banner toting Sox Supporter in the South Side Hitmen era. She gave the left field bleachers the best view at Comiskey...and as i recall, she had the best seat in the park ;)