PDA

View Full Version : WGN Sox Schedule Announced

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
WGN-TV has just posted the games they will be showing this season. For the complete list go to www.wgntv.com

Lip

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 10:42 PM
In addition to the 56 games that WGN will be showing with the Sox announcers, you can bet they will be showing one or two more of the Sox / Cubs games with the Cubs announcers.

And for those of you who have satellites (either Direct TV or Dish Network) and get the "Superstation" package remember that WSBK-TV out of Boston has regained the rights to the Red Sox for the next four years. odds are good that they will be showing some of the Sox / Red Sox games (and we can get a look at Boston's new alternate "red" jerseys!)

So basically I'd guess 60 White Sox games will be available if you don't get the MLB Extra Innings Subscription.

Lip

nut_stock
02-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

So basically I'd guess 60 White Sox games will be available if you don't get the MLB Extra Innings Subscription.

Lip

Technically, It would be about half of those, since WCIU is not available outside of Chicago.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 11:05 PM
WCIU games are NOT being counted in my post.

WGN is showing 56 Sox games with Sox announcers, WGN is probably showing 2 Sox / Cub games with Cub announcers and WSBK out of Boston is probably going to show 2 Red Sox / White Sox games.

That's 60 total for those of us who have a satellite with the "superstation" package and who don't get MLB Extra Innings.

Lip

nut_stock
02-04-2003, 11:24 PM
If you look carefully at the far right hand column of the "WGN" schedule you will see that many of the games are on WCIU, and about 30 are on WGN.

If I remember correctly, WGN produces all the games but only 30 are actually shown on WGN. WGN is a WB affiliate and limit the total number of baseball games shown on WGN to 100. (70 cubs, 30 sox)

nut_stock
02-04-2003, 11:29 PM
I subscribe to Extra Innings on DirecTv. Last year I had a little over 120 Sox games viewable on my dish (this combines the package and WGN)

A.T. Money
02-04-2003, 11:32 PM
WCIU games are NOT being counted in my post.

WGN is showing 56 Sox games with Sox announcers, WGN is probably showing 2 Sox / Cub games with Cub announcers and WSBK out of Boston is probably going to show 2 Red Sox / White Sox games.

That's 60 total for those of us who have a satellite with the "superstation" package and who don't get MLB Extra Innings.

Lip

Lip, you don't need the Extra Innings Package. If you get the Package with the extra sports, you can pick up FSN Chicago.

SoxxoS
02-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Lip, you don't need the Extra Innings Package. If you get the Package with the extra sports, you can pick up FSN Chicago.

I dont think that matters, SoxDemon. I have all the sports channels here in Arizona, and none of the Bulls games are broadcast, even if they are on Fox Sports Chicago. I would have to buy the NBA league pass to see them. Direct TV wouldnt make any money on their sports packages if you can just watch all the games on Fox. And we all know money matters.

fuzzy_patters
02-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I dont think that matters, SoxDemon. I have all the sports channels here in Arizona, and none of the Bulls games are broadcast, even if they are on Fox Sports Chicago. I would have to buy the NBA league pass to see them. Direct TV wouldnt make any money on their sports packages if you can just watch all the games on Fox. And we all know money matters.

That's correct. The games are blacked out if you live out of market.

basilesox
02-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Yeah, you can get every sox game if you live in the chicago area, but unfortunately if you don't you have to get "extra innings". Still it would be something I would have to have if I moved someday.

kermittheefrog
02-05-2003, 05:35 AM

And for those of you who have satellites (either Direct TV or Dish Network) and get the "Superstation" package remember that WSBK-TV out of Boston has regained the rights to the Red Sox for the next four years. odds are good that they will be showing some of the Sox / Red Sox games (and we can get a look at Boston's new alternate "red" jerseys!)

Actually those "radiation red" jerseys are just BP tops. They'll only be worn during warmups. Only the people who show up to the park very early will get a peak, they deserve such punishment anyway.

moochpuppy
02-05-2003, 07:27 AM

Lip

Plus the 19 games I'll get against the Twinkies living in the Twin Cities market. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
02-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Andrew:

According to the story on ESPN.com the Red Sox WILL HAVE alternate red jerseys for regular season games. The story said they will also have a new red batting practice top.

and thanks to the poster who pointed out that WGN / WCIU column. I just looked at what I printed last night and that column was cut off. I never saw it. Obviously you are correct.

Lip

Hangar18
02-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Actually, they are now going to have ALSO an
"alternate" red jersey to wear at home/road now.
"alternate" cap has a red bill on it.
new owner hopes that fans "will wear a sea of red" at
Fenway now with those ugly jerseys

Brian26
02-05-2003, 12:48 PM
As I understand the articles from mlb.com, every team is getting a new batting practice jersey design. The Mets have the orange jersey, Carmines have the red, and SF has a new dark-colored one with a variation of the "Giants" script name. Can't wait to see what the Sox version is. I have a feeling it's going to be silver with the black sox logo.

TheBigHurt
02-05-2003, 01:47 PM
i miss wgn, i used to get it here in ny and watched all the white sox games, now i have to watch MLB stupid extra innings

DAMMIT

jeremyb1
02-05-2003, 03:07 PM
i'm still somewhat new at this being out of town during the baseball season thing. are all the sox games on wgn broadcast on the superstation nationally? i know for the bulls many of the games on wgn aren't on the superstation and therefore can only be seen in the chicago area.

Lip Man 1
02-05-2003, 11:40 PM
Jeremy:

Yes, WGN Sox games are televised nationally. I watch them here in Idaho. MLB does not have the same requirements that the NBA does which is why Sox and Cub games aren't blacked out anywhere.

This also applies to the other "Superstations" (i.e. WTBS Atlanta Braves, WPIX New York Mets, WSBK Red Sox, KWGN Rockies)

If you have a satellite and get the Superstation package (six bucks a month you get those stations, basically six MLB teams)

Lip

jeremyb1
02-06-2003, 02:46 AM
Jeremy:

Yes, WGN Sox games are televised nationally. I watch them here in Idaho. MLB does not have the same requirements that the NBA does which is why Sox and Cub games aren't blacked out anywhere.

This also applies to the other "Superstations" (i.e. WTBS Atlanta Braves, WPIX New York Mets, WSBK Red Sox, KWGN Rockies)

If you have a satellite and get the Superstation package (six bucks a month you get those stations, basically six MLB teams)

Lip

yeah, i just get the superstation through basic cable but that sounds like it'll work. that's good news. thanks.