PDA

View Full Version : Old Comiskey Exterior

A.T. Money
02-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, but in case you haven't noticed my post count, I'm sorta new still. :D:

Anyway, my question is why did the White Sox paint Comiskey Park white, from it's original brown brick exterior?

Does anyone know?

TornLabrum
02-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Sorry if this has been posted before, but in case you haven't noticed my post count, I'm sorta new still. :D:

Anyway, my question is why did the White Sox paint Comiskey Park white, from it's original brown brick exterior?

Does anyone know?

Bill Veeck did it before the 1960 season. I have no idea why. Made the place look like a riverboat docking at 35th and Shiedls.

OfficerKarkovice
02-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

Does anyone know?

The day they made the worst decision of their lives...as for the date tho I am not sure. :D:

A.T. Money
02-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Bill Veeck did it before the 1960 season. I have no idea why. Made the place look like a riverboat docking at 35th and Shiedls.

Veeck did some weird crap. Creative as all heck, that's for sure, but man, he did some asinine things. Like painting the park white! I have to give him credit for that exploding scoreboard idea though. ;)

doogiec
02-04-2003, 10:36 PM
I think I remember Veeck saying he did it because the exterior was filthy, couldn't be cleaned, and he thought it would look clean and new white washed.

I've heard the actual original color of the park was actually pinkish, but don't know if thats true.

Mammoo
02-04-2003, 11:22 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/50smaingate.jpg

Veeck said it looked like a dirty old factory. I think the white paint was a bad move. They did the same thing to Tiger Stadium in Detroit.

Bob

A.T. Money
02-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Veeck said it looked like a dirty old factory. I think the white paint was a bad move. They did the same thing to Tiger Stadium in Detroit.

Bob

Another weird observation I've noticed, if you look at the park in the 80's, it only has one column in the front, instead of two.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/Reinsdorf2.jpg

Brian26
02-05-2003, 12:59 AM
I think that column to the right on the 80's Comiskey picture is new because it's an elevator shaft for the office improvements in the park. There wasn't a column there in the old pic. Take another peak at it. Just a guess.

The old Park did look dirty, so I agree with Veeck on that one. I don't agree with the dumb move of making an artificial turf infield and grass outfield, red pin stripes, softball jerseys and shorts, or mortgaging the entire farm system for one-year rent-a-players like Zisk and company.

Veeck was overrated.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-05-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Brian26

I don't agree with the dumb move of making an artificial turf infield and grass outfield, red pin stripes, softball jerseys and shorts, or mortgaging the entire farm system for one-year rent-a-players like Zisk and company.

Veeck was overrated.

The artificial turf infield and red pinstripes were not Bill Veeck's ideas. However, getting those rent a players for one year was a good thing. Why do you think so many people remember the south side hitmen of '77? He took a gamble(not Oscar) that didn't pay off in the long run but for one summer the south side had hope.
I don't know about those shorts in '76 but baseball needs another owner like the great Veeck!

Brian26
02-05-2003, 10:06 AM
My bad. The artificial turf was early 70's before Veeck came back. Who was the owner at the time? Was that the same guy who threatened to move the club up to Milwaukee?

Cheryl
02-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Veeck did the same thing when he bought every ballclub he owned--first thing, paint the park. He said it was a cheap way to make it look newer. This was kind of the mindset in post WWII America--anything pre-War was old and tacky and needed to be modernized.

A.T. Money
02-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Veeck did the same thing when he bought every ballclub he owned--first thing, paint the park.

Did he paint Wrigley?

Cheryl
02-05-2003, 11:44 AM
He never owned Weegham Park*. His father was GM there for old Mr. Wrigely.

*I've decided to quit calling it by its corporate name.

Foulke You
02-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Bob

This statement is correct. According to the White Sox Encyclopedia by Rich Lindberg, Veeck felt that Old Comiskey was looking like one of the many run down and shuttered factory buildings that were becoming all too common on the South Side of the city. A white wash of the exterior was his solution rather than rehabbing the red/brown brick. It is a shame because the brownish red brick exterior looked amazing in some early 1900s shots of the ballpark when it was still new. Granted the pix were B&W but you can see how magnificent that park must have looked in the early part of the 20th century.

I hope that some sort of brick like exterior is being considered for the remodeling of New Comisk..U.S. Cellular Field. I like the current outside of the park but brick would look fantastic.

doogiec
02-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
My bad. The artificial turf was early 70's before Veeck came back. Who was the owner at the time? Was that the same guy who threatened to move the club up to Milwaukee?

Art Allyn bought the White Sox from Veeck in the early 60's (I think 1961 or 2).

During the late 1960's he was considering moving the team to Milwaukee. In fact, the White Sox played a couple of homestands in Milwaukee County stadium to test the market.

Rather than move the team, he sold it to his brother John who was responsible for installing the astroturf. Meanwhile the Seattle Pilots went bankrupt and moved into the Milwaukee market.

When Veeck rebought the team in the middle seventies to prevent a Seattle group from moving them to the new Kingdome he tore out the astroturf, put a new coat of white paint on the outside and painted the seats green (for many years, old Comiskey had blue seats).

VeeckAsInWreck
02-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Rumor had it that if the Sox had moved to Seattle, Charlie Finley would have moved the A's from Oakland to Chicago. Could you imagine that?

The Chicago A's?

jortafan
02-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Rumor had it that if the Sox had moved to Seattle, Charlie Finley would have moved the A's from Oakland to Chicago. Could you imagine that?

The Chicago A's?

But don't forget that by 1976 (which is when the switch could have happened), Reggie Jackson was already traded away, the A's were trying to unload Joe Rudi, Rollie Fingers and Vida Blue to Boston and New York, and just about all the stars of those "Fightin' A's" teams were gone by season's end.

We would have been stuck with those pathetically lame A's teams of the late 70s, with "immortals" such as Dave Revering and Mitchell Page. Hell, Brian Kingman would have lost his 20 games for Chicago. And there's no guarantee they would have got the responsible ownership they got if it had been a Chicago team.

In short, this daydream is a nightmare. I'll keep the memories we already have, thank you very much.