PDA

View Full Version : Green Seats?

soxman56
02-04-2003, 05:16 PM
I know someone who said they noticed green seats at Comiskey. Has anyone noticed this???????????????? :?:

TheBigHurt
02-04-2003, 05:18 PM
ive noticed green or teal seats at the garden!!!

gogosoxgogo
02-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Teal is just what they need at Comiskey to show the sarcastic voice we seem to refer to so often when commenting of our beloved team.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 08:37 PM
There is an unconfirmed report that after the season either this year or next year the Sox are going to replace the blue seats with green ones.

That was posted by a fan who attended Sox fest and said he overheard a Sox official saying that to Joe Borchard.

Lip

pissonthecubs
02-04-2003, 09:06 PM
i would be all for green seats, i just think that the blue seats with the blue wall just sticks out soo bad. when i think if the ideal baseball park, i don't see blue seats and walls, green just goes along well with the grass and makes the park look a lot better. now that my gay decorating side has come out, i'll be going.

A.T. Money
02-04-2003, 09:08 PM
The blue reminds me much of Yankee Stadium.

TheBigHurt
02-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

yes and i am sick of yankee stadium since i have been there many times

Brian26
02-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
There is an unconfirmed report that after the season either this year or next year the Sox are going to replace the blue seats with green ones.

That was posted by a fan who attended Sox fest and said he overheard a Sox official saying that to Joe Borchard.

Lip

That was me. Again, I apologize I couldn't have stalled longer. The White Sox representative was talking to Borchard and filling him in on renovations that are upcoming. He definitely said that the scoreboard is going to be new, and the seats are being changed to green. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe he said the green seats would not be this year, but instead next year. I wish I could have ripped that piece of paper out of his hand and brought it with me, but I had to move over to get Crede's autograph.

fuzzy_patters
02-05-2003, 12:10 AM
I always thought the Sox should have black seats to go with the current uniforms. Also, the walls should be black with silver "SOX" logo in the gaps.

I suppose those seats would get kind of hot to sit in during the summer. It would be unique though.

hsnterprize
02-05-2003, 06:13 AM
I'm for green seats. The blue seats were just a joke. Get this...the new ballpark in Cincinnati, Great American Ballpark, will have red seats in it. Not a bad idea considering the name and color scheme of the team. I think they'll be the only ones to get away with that in a baseball setting.

Viva Magglio
02-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Even though we don't wear red uniforms (since the early '70s). I would like our seats to go from blue to red. I would also like to see the wall padding go from that light blue to dark green. I saw that combination in the home stadium of the team whom Burly-mon wishes is his future employer, and it looks real nice. Notice that the color of the new batters' eye is already dark green.

As far as the green seats go, that really is somewhat of a new phenomomen in Sox history. The original Comiskey Park's seats were not painted green until (I want to say) 1978 during Bill Veeck's second tenure. Before then, if I am not mistaken, I believe they were baby blue.

Bobby Thigpen
02-05-2003, 08:26 AM
You couldn't have black seats. Imagine how much heat that would attract in July and August. Some of those games are hot enough without thousands of solar panels collecting the sun's heat. No need to raise the temperature when it's already in the 90s and humid.

moochpuppy
02-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

See, now I heard they were going to change the turf to blue, like Boise State, to match the seats.

harwar
02-05-2003, 09:00 AM

I was there for opening day at "the new comiskey"(17-0 ouch) and i was totally shocked.I felt like i had walked into yankee stadium.It was like J.R. had tried to copy it.I never liked the blue and i am glad to hear of a change to green.Also,as a guy who grew up in the old Comiskey,i have no problem with the name change.My old friend has been gone for years now and whatever they have to name the new one to improve it is fine by me.

Cheryl
02-05-2003, 09:34 AM
I thought the blue was in honor of JR's favorite team, the Dodgers.

moochpuppy
02-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Gosh, wouldn't you think JR's favorite team would be the White Sox?? Maybe that's part of the problem?

A.T. Money
02-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I was there for opening day at "the new comiskey"(17-0 ouch) and i was totally shocked.I felt like i had walked into yankee stadium.It was like J.R. had tried to copy it.I never liked the blue and i am glad to hear of a change to green.Also,as a guy who grew up in the old Comiskey,i have no problem with the name change.My old friend has been gone for years now and whatever they have to name the new one to improve it is fine by me.

It was 16-0. 17-0 is like, bad n' stuff. :D:

Also, the way I always saw it, it was like naming your son after you. I saw it as the new park being named after it's father.

A.T. Money
02-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
He definitely said that the scoreboard is going to be new, and the seats are being changed to green.

They don't need to mess with the scoreboard. The scoreboard is fine.

Just fix the seating.

Hangar18
02-05-2003, 10:28 AM

surprised no one noticed that before......
Comiskey was modeled after yankee stadium.
blue seats, shape, configuration and all.

A.T. Money
02-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
blue seats, shape, configuration and all.

I never thought much about it until the 2000 season when a Yankee fan told me that he likes Comiskey because it looks like Yankee Stadium.

Nellie_Fox
02-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
blue seats, shape, configuration and all. Believe me, it's been noticed. It's been noticed to death.

Hullett_Fan
02-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Believe me, it's been noticed. It's been noticed to death.

LOL! I second that.

I've sat in the upper decks at both Yankee Stadium and "the Cell"...both are very steep and climbing the stairs to your seat in 90+ degree can trigger a heart attack.

(P.S. We can agree on some things Nellie. :)

Unregistered
02-05-2003, 11:52 AM
I never thought much about it until the 2000 season when a Yankee fan told me that he likes Comiskey because it looks like Yankee Stadium. If memory serves, a scene in some crappy movie was filmed at Comiskey, with it being billed as Yankee Stadium... ''Rookie of the Year'' maybe??

dllrbll7
02-05-2003, 01:08 PM
If they replaced the seats would they replace both the metal and plastic or would they just repaint the metal and replace the plastic parts? I only ask because i would like to have another row of seats to put next to the original Comiskey Park seats i have even though the blue seats would barely have as much meaning.

soxnut
02-05-2003, 02:06 PM
To me Comiskey looks like a combination of Yankee, Dodger, Royal(Kauffman) and the Big "A"(Ed).

I'd prefer green seats, to me it's a much warmer color, and I think think it would look better on tv as well. :cool:

jortafan
02-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
To me Comiskey looks like a combination of Yankee, Dodger, Royal(Kauffman) and the Big "A"(Ed).

Why if those are the buildings that provide inspiration for Comiskey (and I know that JR has said he admired Royals Stadium) does ours have to be the one that looks like the cheap knockoff? Those are actually good buildings to model a stadium after.

Here's hoping they get it right the second time.

Pete_SSAC
02-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Why if those are the buildings that provide inspiration for Comiskey (and I know that JR has said he admired Royals Stadium) does ours have to be the one that looks like the cheap knockoff? Those are actually good buildings to model a stadium after.

Here's hoping they get it right the second time.

I'm hoping, (and figuring) that US Cellular Field will pretty much look like a combination of Old and New Comiskey

- Pete

RedPinStripes
02-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Believe me, it's been noticed. It's been noticed to death.

And this is why i'm so glad the out field light towers and surounding is now black instead of white. Really pisses me off that they used Comisket in a movie to relace Yankee stadium. Any non-sox fan would never catch it. No chance of that now.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
LOL! I second that.

I've sat in the upper decks at both Yankee Stadium and "the Cell"...both are very steep and climbing the stairs to your seat in 90+ degree can trigger a heart attack.

I agree that watching on TV a game from The Cell looks a lot like a game from Yankee Stadium. The wall padding and seats are virtually the same shade of blue. However, New Comiskey was not patterned after Yankee Stadium but Kansas City's Kauffman Stadium (nee Royals Stadium) built in 1973. For 20 years it was universally recognized as the finest new ballpark, right up until Camden Yards opened in 1992.

Reinsdorf wanted a stadium that generated lots of revenue and had the amenities that Royals Stadium had. It's no coincidence he hired the successor architectural firm to HOK who designed the one in KC 20 years earlier.

Somebody forgot to tell JR that his ideal design was 20 years old and lots of new ideas were already being incorporated into the design of Baltimore's new ballpark. JR was using the same architectural firm! He ignored whatever design revisions might have pushed back the new ballpark's opening past his April, 1991 target.

So now we spend millions fixing a 12 year old building. Figures...

PaleHoseGeorge
02-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Lipman has a reliable inside source that claims the idea to change the seats from green (as the architect's early renderings showed it) to the blue the ballpark ultimately got was because JR wanted something to remind him of cheering for Brooklyn as a boy back in NYC.

It really tears at your heart strings, doesn't it Sox Fans. :angry:

doogiec
02-06-2003, 12:15 PM
I noticed that the new Soldier Field will have identical blue seats. Maybe they'd be willing to buy 45,000 used ones, save a few bucks on that project.

hsnterprize
02-06-2003, 04:05 PM
I saw news pictures of the construction workers installing the first sets of new seats in the new Soldier Field, and they are darker than the ones at the Cell. The Soldier Field seats are obviously navy blue for the Bears...but I wouldn't mind if a part of the stadium had orange seats. That'll match with the Bears' colors.