PDA

View Full Version : If this was 1988, would it BOTHER you IF....

Medford Bobby
02-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Jerry and company said they have secured a deal worth 100 millon dollars to totally renovate the Old Comiskey Park and they said the down side would be a name change to whom ever they secured the name "loan" money deal. Would you have rather seen the Baseball Palace of the World saved and live with some corporate name?? Heck, I would have rather seened them rebuilt the facility and let it live on into this :smile: century with all it's history and would always call it Sox Park even if let say Home Runn Inn Pizza plopped down the money. Of course this is assuming the Jerry Gang actually like the old ballpark. As we know he wanted ANY deal that involve tearing down the structure and take any design that would meet a two year window..........So what would you have lived with all these years???????????????????????????? :gulp:

:reinsy ""Hey did ya wanna continue peeing in the sinks at Old Comiskey???"

Hullett_Fan
02-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
Jerry and company said they have secured a deal worth 100 millon dollars to totally renovate the Old Comiskey Park and they said the down side would be a name change to whom ever they secured the name "loan" money deal. Would you have rather seen the Baseball Palace of the World saved and live with some corporate name??

Interesting question. IMO, it would have been best to spend $300 mil ($150 cost to construct 'new' comiskey + $68 naming rights + cheap owners throw in rest) to build an EXACT replica of Old Comiskey with double decks in LF and RF, Giant scoreboard (unlike current one which blends into giant advertising) and other stuff that made the park special. It would just have slightly wider aisles/seats, modern concessions and bathrooms...and importantly, be structurally sound (old comiskey was crumbling).

TheBigHurt
02-04-2003, 02:05 PM
if this was 1988 i would be 3 and too little to think :D:

Medford Bobby
02-04-2003, 02:06 PM
yea, I guess the whole thing was bad timing. If the Jerry Gang would have seen the plans for Camden Yards and what retro styles were planning to be used for future stadiums, maybe they would have seen this upcoming trend and incorporate more old Comiskey features that I even see being used in Coors :gulp: Field. Yea, If they werent so impatient in getting rid of old Comiskey and went with a three year plan, who knows what would have been done. All we know that out of all thew new parks built in 10 years, this ballmall has had more changes done and still to come then any other park. I don't think Camden Yards has had any changes other then the fenses being moved in. This is almost a crime coming from people who claim to be smart from all their "Fan Research" ... they totally :angry: BLEW THIS ONE! :whiner: ....... :

:reinsy "Hey after 2025, it's the San Juan White Sox if we don't replace aging US Celluar Park!"

Cheryl
02-04-2003, 02:33 PM
JR could have built a retro park. He chose not to.

After getting a look at that travesty they're calling Soldier Field, I'm glad no one got to mess with the old ballpark.

Which, in case anyone forgets, was not originially called Comiskey Park anyway. When it opened, it was White Sox Park.

fuzzy_patters
02-04-2003, 02:43 PM
If this was 1988, I would be happy the Sox aren't moving to St. Pete next year.

34 Inch Stick
02-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Would you still be able to smoke pot and have sex in the outfield upper deck of the renovated park? :o:

The one factor you are forgetting is sky boxes. It is all about the number of corporate season ticket holders you can get.

Medford Bobby
02-04-2003, 03:38 PM
:smile: But are they still selling out all those boxes anymore....and are they still the HUGE revenue generators they once were during the '90's boom years?? Are tight walleted corpopate companies still spending money on luxury boxes to show off to clients?? As time goes by, are the luxury boxes still going to be important to revenue survival???????????????

:reinsy "Hey can I help it if we blew money on Julio Cruz, Steve Kemp and Jaimie Navarro?"

Cheryl
02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
:smile: But are they still selling out all those boxes anymore....and are they still the HUGE revenue generators they once were during the '90's boom years?? Are tight walleted corpopate companies still spending money on luxury boxes to show off to clients?? As time goes by, are the luxury boxes still going to be important to revenue survival???????????????

It's not like they're being taken out anytime soon.