PDA

View Full Version : Baseball to change the rules?

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 01:55 PM
25 League rule changes (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1503508.html)

Some of these are good but #6 is a joke.

FanOf14
02-04-2003, 02:12 PM
#20 is stupid as well - no Saturday night games would mean no fireworks...

kermittheefrog
02-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
#20 is stupid as well - no Saturday night games would mean no fireworks...

I really hope that should have been in teal. If fireworks are the pinnacle of your baseball experience... Lets just not go there.

I actually like #6, it would speed things up. I don't like number 1, 5, 10 (I think interleague play should go), 13-17,

I like 2, 6, 8, 9, 18, 19.

I'd be in favor of getting rid of most but not all Saturday night games.

TheBigHurt
02-04-2003, 02:50 PM
20th is the supidest of all.

MLB can not afford to have no saturday night games

kermittheefrog
02-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I think the stupidest is not allowing the phantom tag of second. It saves second basemen from injury and if it wasn't allowed there would be a lot fewer double plays. Which means more run scoring. And people seem to be tired of lots of run scoring. I'm guessing most fans don't even understand why it's allowed.

LuvSox
02-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Ban the Thunderstick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuzzy_patters
02-04-2003, 03:41 PM
I thought just about all of them were stupid, except for the ones involving keeping hitters in the batters box and making pitchers pitch.

FanOf14
02-04-2003, 03:49 PM
kermit - no it isn't the pinnacle (smartass), but it is something families enjoy viewing together. Do you ever reply without being so condescending?

Dadawg_77
02-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think the stupidest is not allowing the phantom tag of second. It saves second basemen from injury and if it wasn't allowed there would be a lot fewer double plays. Which means more run scoring. And people seem to be tired of lots of run scoring. I'm guessing most fans don't even understand why it's allowed.

The phantom tag should be allowed, just you have to be within foot of the base. Some of them are pretty bad.

Blueprint1
02-04-2003, 04:15 PM
I say no thundersticks that is the only rule I like. Maybe some of the body armor could go. I like the game the way that it is. Sometimes batters like Chuck Knoblock get on your nerves when they take forever but I look at it as part of the game. Wow the thundersticks are really stupid though

kermittheefrog
02-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
kermit - no it isn't the pinnacle (smartass), but it is something families enjoy viewing together. Do you ever reply without being so condescending?

Fireworks have nothing to do with baseball. How many real baseball fans go to the park to see fireworks? If you're talking a baseball decision I don't think fireworks factor in.

maurice
02-04-2003, 05:28 PM
The article proposes changing the rules to make phantom tags illegal. Actually, they're already illegal. See Rule 708(e) (on a force play, a fielder holding the ball must touch the runner or the bag before the runner reaches the bag). This is a nice, clean rule. I can't see a reasonable way of re-working the rule to allow phantom tags. Do you allow the fielder to touch within 18 inches of the bag and require the umps carry rulers?

I actually prefer it when the officials enforce the rules as written, as opposed to allowing arbitrary, unwritten exceptions. Guess that's why I can't stand to watch NBA games.

voodoochile
02-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Fireworks have nothing to do with baseball. How many real baseball fans go to the park to see fireworks? If you're talking a baseball decision I don't think fireworks factor in.

That depends on if you believe financial considerations should be part of MLB decisions or not. I do. Thus they should do whatever it takes to maximize revenue. I have managed to get diehard flubbie fans to go to Comiskey with me on Saturday nights because they could take their kids to see the fireworks...

voodoochile
02-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The article proposes changing the rules to make phantom tags illegal. Actually, they're already illegal. See Rule 708(e) (on a force play, a fielder holding the ball must touch the runner or the bag before the runner reaches the bag). This is a nice, clean rule. I can't see a reasonable way of re-working the rule to allow phantom tags. Do you allow the fielder to touch within 18 inches of the bag and require the umps carry rulers?

I actually prefer it when the officials enforce the rules as written, as opposed to allowing arbitrary, unwritten exceptions. Guess that's why I can't stand to watch NBA games.

I agree. Tag the base while holding the baseball, or don't call it an out. I don't care what the reasons are for calling it now, they are wrong...

jcw218
02-05-2003, 03:10 AM
Since we're on the subject of enforcing rules as they're written, lets call the strike zone correctly. If my memory serves me the proper strike zone is from just below the shoulders (arm pits) to the knees anywhere over the plate. I'm tired of chest high pitches being called balls.

bc2k
02-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by maurice

I'm with you on the NBA rules. Anything more than 1 and a half steps with the ball and it's traveling. Enough of this 2 and a half step run followed by jumping and landing with the ball, and changing direction on the next jump. *** is that Kobe? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a defensive player supposed to be planted for 2 seconds before an offensive player can be called for a charge on him? Enough of this jumping in front of a guy as he drives to the basket and the foul is called on the offensive man.

As far as baseball, get rid of the body armor. How can anyone consider making batters stay in the box? Like another poster said above, it's part of the game. There is nothing wrong with throwing off a pitcher's rhythm.

The rule I didn't see suggested is the late timeout call by batters. How many times have we seen Buehrle have to stop his arm when he was already coming to the plate? John Rooney always pointed this out last year and he is right in saying how Buehrle could get hurt this way. Umps have to stop granting late timeouts by the batter.

Ed Farmer often pointed out last year how pitchers rarely throw to first three times in a row. So if runners already knew the odds, they should feel comfortable running after they've been chased back to the bag twice in a row.

As long as there is Friday night baseball, I'd welcome Saturday afternoon games.