PDA

View Full Version : Cubune Assault on Reinsy

duke of dorwood
02-04-2003, 12:50 PM
The best owner of a Chicago sports team today is White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, which is the same as saying Gary Coleman is having the best post- ďDiffírent StrokesĒ career.

From Jimmy Greenfield (?)

" Now, Iím not saying Gary Coleman should own the White Sox, but it sure would be more fun than it has been with Reinsdorf.

Jerry, itís over. The problem is you. Something is terribly wrong on the South Side and itís not the fans, itís not the neighborhood, itís not the players.

Itís not even U.S. Cellular Field, if thatís what weíre calling it now.

Itís you. Please leave the ball and glove where you found them."

Cheryl
02-04-2003, 01:00 PM
This is exactly the kind of thing that should make my head explode. Do I agree with the Cubune? Defend JR? I don't know---it's too hard to choose.

duke of dorwood
02-04-2003, 02:03 PM
What gets me is it's THEM chuckling while they publish this stuff.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 02:08 PM
In my opinion this published comment is the absolute TRUTH in every single word stated.

This franchise would not be in the situation that it is today if not for Uncle Jerry and his flunkies.

Just remember if you are going to defend ownership simply because it was the Tribune who said this, to bite your tongue (not literally of course LOL!) the next time this organization pulls another White Flag Trade or says on radio "Chicago has always belonged to the Cubs..."

You can't have it both ways gang.

Lip

A.T. Money
02-04-2003, 03:02 PM
You've lost me there Lip.

joecrede
02-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This franchise would not be in the situation that it is today if not for Uncle Jerry and his flunkies.

Lip

What is the situation they are in today?

A.T. Money
02-04-2003, 03:22 PM
....and is this situation a good thing, or a bad thing?

Cheryl
02-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Okay, I've thought it over, and here's my opinion.

Jerry Reinsdorf finally, finally did something right by getting the cell phone company to pay for renovations. When I see what that money went for, then I'll decide whether I like it or not.

That doesn't change the fact it would be in the best interest of the franchise for him to step down as Stockholder-in-charge and let someone else run the team. He's not The Owner, he doesn't even own a majority of the team. So let him keep his 5% or whatever it is he owns, just get someone else in there to make decisions.

Kilroy
02-04-2003, 05:08 PM

You're absolutely right. The franchise would probably not be in the situation it is today if Reinsdorf was not the owner. But I can't agree with you and just assume that it would be better, when it could just as easily be worse. At the very least, Sox fans can look at their team and say that they are trying to get better, and taking big steps in that direction. Can KC fans say that? Tampa? Toronto? Baltimore?

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Kilroy:

Just wondering... even with all the moves, the Sox payroll is about 50 million. Do you think that's enough to get to a World Series?

The chances would be a lot better with a 75 or 80 million dollar payroll don't you think?

I mean that's the goal isn't it? getting to and winning the World Series, not some lousy mediocre division that only has two good teams out of five.

Also just wondering...how would you feel about things if the Sox were in the Yankees division? or the A's division? or the Giants division? Would you still be so optimistic? Eventually if the Sox get to October they are going to have to play the Yanks or A's or Red Sox or Angels. Do you think they can take them? (be HONEST now!)

Lip

NewyorkSoxFan
02-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Kilroy:

Just wondering... even with all the moves, the Sox payroll is about 50 million. Do you think that's enough to get to a World Series?

The chances would be a lot better with a 75 or 80 million dollar payroll don't you think?

I mean that's the goal isn't it? getting to and winning the World Series, not some lousy mediocre division that only has two good teams out of five.

Also just wondering...how would you feel about things if the Sox were in the Yankees division? or the A's division? or the Giants division? Would you still be so optimistic? Eventually if the Sox get to October they are going to have to play the Yanks or A's or Red Sox or Angels. Do you think they can take them? (be HONEST now!)

Lip

However look at teams like the Mets and Red Sox who spend tons of dough and the Mets finished last, and the Red Sox were a distant second or was it third.

I do agree that in order to get to a world series the Sox will have to spend somewhere between 65 and 70 Million dollars. If you look at the teams that have consistently gotten to the WS they have been in the top half of the league in salary.

JR's rule is that he won't bankrupt the team to make a WS appearance like the Marlins and then have to leave with his proverbial tail between his legs. It all boils down to attendance for the Sox. If they draw well he will spend if not, the ledger has to balance. Which means another year comes and goes with no sniff at a WS

NYSF

doogiec
02-04-2003, 10:28 PM
In my opinion this published comment is the absolute TRUTH in every single word stated.

Lip

You're right, we wouldn't be in the same situation-but you certainly can't argue we were headed for anything better.

During the Allyn brothers ownership the Sox nearly moved to Milwaukee in the late 1960 and Seattle in the mid 1970's. Bill Veeck had struck a deal to move the team to Denver before being forced to sell to Reinsdorf's group due to failing health. The White Sox consistantly had attendance in the lower half of the league, poor TV contracts, consistently finished in the bottom half of the league, and lost virtually every legitimate good player they had the minute they gained free agent status.

You can argue with their trades, the upper deck or their financial tactics. But you can't argue with the fact that the White Sox had one foot in the grave for years before Reinsdorf's group took over, and that is no longer the case.

All the people who romaticize the Veeck years should look at the team's win loss record during those years, it attendance during those years and the number of very good players that were lost.

NewyorkSoxFan
02-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
You're right, we wouldn't be in the same situation-but you certainly can't argue we were headed for anything better.

During the Allyn brothers ownership the Sox nearly moved to Milwaukee in the late 1960 and Seattle in the mid 1970's. Bill Veeck had struck a deal to move the team to Denver before being forced to sell to Reinsdorf's group due to failing health. The White Sox consistantly had attendance in the lower half of the league, poor TV contracts, consistently finished in the bottom half of the league, and lost virtually every legitimate good player they had the minute they gained free agent status.

You can argue with their trades, the upper deck or their financial tactics. But you can't argue with the fact that the White Sox had one foot in the grave for years before Reinsdorf's group took over, and that is no longer the case.

All the people who romaticize the Veeck years should look at the team's win loss record during those years, it attendance during those years and the number of very good players that were lost.

Great points. Not to mention the silly uniforms and nonsense promotions. We look back lovingly as fans, but we were laughing stocks around the league. JR did give this organization credibility with his signing of Fisk and Luzinski and the outside those stupid uniforms from the 80's really put us back on the map.

He isn't the best owner, but he is by no means the worst.

NYSF

WhiteSox = Life
02-04-2003, 10:53 PM
I think it all boils down to this: JR is seemingly trying now to win and draw fans. That is a step forward, but this comes after the White Sox organization has walked a mile backwards.

Reinsdorf may have rescued the White Sox from leaving town and brought them some credibility, but, for a decade now, he's done almost nothing but alienate the fans.

I can't tell whom the White Sox can take right now and how they'll fare, but what matters is whether or not they believe they can take the Yankees, A's, Red Sox or Angels. If they think they can win against any team and let their attitude affect their playing positively, then, who knows? I'm not saying if they believe they'll win, they'll win. But, in order to get to that next step, they have to realize that they must believe they can win before they win anything significant at all.

Believe it, White Sox: All the way!