PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorff speaks some more!

hold2dibber
02-04-2003, 09:27 AM
Interesting article in the Trib sports section today about the naming rights deals. Lots of interesting quotes from JR, including:

"One of the things we have found from our fans in focus groups was that they view [coming to the ballpark] as a family experience," Reinsdorf said. "They're not as interested in winning as I'm interested in winning.

"The average group [that comes] is five or six people, and if there are things for them to do besides just purely watching a game, it will make it a little better for them."

Also:

"Now we have the opportunity to convert our really big dreams into reality," said Howard Pizer, the team's executive vice president.

Reinsdorf wouldn't specify what those dreams entail, preferring to say, "I think these improvements will be so dramatic, people will be overwhelmed."

He added: "Remember, this ballpark was built at a cost of $137 million. All the new ballparks that followed were $300 to $400 million, so we had to cut some corners and do some things that we didn't want to do. This is going to enable us to get it right."

Finally:

All Reinsdorf would promise is that there wouldn't be a merry-go-round, like the one at Comerica Park in Detroit.

"Whatever we do will be baseball-oriented," he said.

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Reinsdorf said. "They're not as interested in winning as I'm interested in winning.

Obviously, this poll wasn't given to anyone in these forums.

and if there are things for them to do besides just purely watching a game, it will make it a little better for them."
All Reinsdorf would promise is that there wouldn't be a merry-go-round, like the one at Comerica Park in Detroit. "Whatever we do will be baseball-oriented," he said.

Maybe something like the NFL Experience except it would be White Sox oriented.

"Now we have the opportunity to convert our really big dreams into reality," said Howard Pizer, the team's executive vice president. Reinsdorf wouldn't specify what those dreams entail, preferring to say, "I think these improvements will be so dramatic, people will be overwhelmed."

I can see the homerun porch already. I just hope they leave the blue seats alone.

gogosoxgogo
02-04-2003, 10:44 AM
any news on when the renovations will be completed by? 2004?

voodoochile
02-04-2003, 10:44 AM
I would bet the average family does feel that way. People with young kids aren't going to the park just to watch the game (except for this one moron last year who sent his 6 YO daughter to the bathroom by herself - when she obviously was upset by that fact - rather than get up and miss some of the game).

Until your kids really get old enough to appreciate baseball for baseball's sake, families want a fun safe experience. Hopefully some fireworks (that's why Saturdays are so popular), maybe a big catch or some late inning heroics, but in general, who wins and loses is going to come in secondary to having a good time at the ball park.

JR hasn't asked the typical diehard fan what they want since he bought the team and has been trying to chase off the young single fans who love to drink and get rowdy since he bought the team. Remember the reaction to that game last year with all the fights and the girls taking off their shirts? The Sox tried to downplay all that and made several statements about it not happening again. That is the crowd that fills the bleacers at TPUN on a regular basis. JR has been going for the family crowd since he took over - or at least since he built the new park...

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
any news on when the renovations will be completed by? 2004?

I thought I read somewhere it would be completed for the 2005 season.

gogosoxgogo
02-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I thought I read somewhere it would be completed for the 2005 season.

Thanks for the info. We'll have to see what all the newspapers say about the park then. They'll find some way to downsize and bash it.

duke of dorwood
02-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Having raised my kids bringing them to games, what they want is stuff to eat and drink. To reach this end, there should be cheaper concessions on stuff kids eat, like hot dogs, pop and candy. Maybe a small order of Nachos. I know all about the Kids Corner, but when you can afford upper deck seats, that was not an option. Hopefully the renovations in the upper dec include that. Affordable concessions, and maybe reduced parking for families would do more than they realize.

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 11:20 AM
One thing the Twins do right is family packages. They have one for Saturdays where you get 4 general admission tickets (lower level outfield), 4 hot dogs, 4 cokes, parking and a program for $44.

The price for this season may have changed since every one of their seat prices went up $4.

They also have a family section (no drinking) in the upper deck right behind home plate for $6 a ticket.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 02:02 PM
One of the things we have found from our fans in focus groups was that they view [coming to the ballpark] as a family experience," Reinsdorf said. "They're not as interested in winning as I'm interested in winning.

Ok sure.....remember this is the same "focus group fan survey" that said the fans didn't like the team which just happened to give Uncle Jerry the "justification" he needed for the White Flag Trade and the subsequent garbage that was on the field in 98 and 99.

Oh did I mention that "fan survey" wanted "hustling, young, aggresive players who weren't afraid to get dirty on the field."

How convienent! Those just happen to be the type of rookies and "can't miss kids" who can't command a lot in salary!

This is revisionist history by Uncle Jerry (again), he's trying to show everyone especially his friends in the media, how badly he wants to win.

The gall of this man is limitless.

Lip

soxrme
02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Again the famous focus groups. I would really like to know who is not interested in winning. I would also like to know when these groups meet so I can attend. You are right, the gall of the man is limitless.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 02:40 PM
I would really like to know who is not interested in winning.

Cub fans? That's way Uncle Jerry's comment is so ludicrous. Nothing BUT winning is important to most Sox fans.

Lip

soxrme
02-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Who are those two women in the picture?