PDA

View Full Version : Renovation Ideas

hsnterprize
02-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Hey Sox fans,

Since the White Sox now are going to get the money they'll need to renovate their ballpark (I'll refrain from using the name because I know there are a lot of you who don't like the name, "U.S. Cellular Field"), I thought of some ways they can renovate the place, and make into a stadium we can be proud of.

First of all, I'd chop off the top 8 to 10 rows of that upper deck, and totally eliminate the 5 end-sections on either side of the U.D.. Those sections would be 554-558 on the left field side, and 506-510 on the right. I'd replace the current roof with a more classic-style roof with arches similar to the ones on the walls of the old Comiskey Park. I'd put a walkway up there too for standing room crowds, and for people to take a view to the north and see the skyline.

Anyway, those seats taken out would be used to make a home run porch. I'd prefer porches over left and right field, but one would suffice. The porches would extend over the whole outfield bleachers, but only 4 sections on each side (for example, sections 157 to 160 in left field, and 104 to 107 in right). I'd say the porches would be like the porch in The Ballpark in Arlington, but directly looming over the field. And then, those message boards in the outfield could be put in the space between the porches and the center field scoreboard.

I remember the initial renderings of a renovated ballpark HKS released. I liked that grand entrance in left field...stick with that. Also, I'd like to have some kind of a marquee entrance behind home plate; similar to the rendering that was on that HKS site a while back.

Those are some of my ideas. I'm sure you have some ideas yourself, so plase share them. Who knows...maybe our input here could influence how the ballpark gets redone. Like you, I want a ballpark we Sox fans can be proud of...now the Sox have the chance to make that happen.

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
for standing room crowds

Should this have been in teal?

voodoochile
02-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Hey Sox fans,

Since the White Sox now are going to get the money they'll need to renovate their ballpark (I'll refrain from using the name because I know there are a lot of you who don't like the name, "U.S. Cellular Field"), I thought of some ways they can renovate the place, and make into a stadium we can be proud of.

First of all, I'd chop off the top 8 to 10 rows of that upper deck, and totally eliminate the 5 end-sections on either side of the U.D.. Those sections would be 554-558 on the left field side, and 506-510 on the right. I'd replace the current roof with a more classic-style roof with arches similar to the ones on the walls of the old Comiskey Park. I'd put a walkway up there too for standing room crowds, and for people to take a view to the north and see the skyline.

Anyway, those seats taken out would be used to make a home run porch. I'd prefer porches over left and right field, but one would suffice. The porches would extend over the whole outfield bleachers, but only 4 sections on each side (for example, sections 157 to 160 in left field, and 104 to 107 in right). I'd say the porches would be like the porch in The Ballpark in Arlington, but directly looming over the field. And then, those message boards in the outfield could be put in the space between the porches and the center field scoreboard.

I remember the initial renderings of a renovated ballpark HKS released. I liked that grand entrance in left field...stick with that. Also, I'd like to have some kind of a marquee entrance behind home plate; similar to the rendering that was on that HKS site a while back.

Those are some of my ideas. I'm sure you have some ideas yourself, so plase share them. Who knows...maybe our input here could influence how the ballpark gets redone. Like you, I want a ballpark we Sox fans can be proud of...now the Sox have the chance to make that happen.

The entrance that is currently behind home plate is already very nice, but it is for skybox and club level ticket holders only, so I'm not sure they can do that.

Also, if they ripped out or cut off those rows, they probably wouldn't reuse the seats - well maybe they would, but the seats wouldn't be the major cost in building a HR porch/OF UD or whatever they end up building, so it wouldn't be necessary (I estimate they could change every seat in the park for less than $3M - probably much less). I do like the idea of building an OF UD ala Cleveland or Texas though. Also, rumors on this board say they are going to change the seats to green as part of the renovations. Time will tell.

Also, if you look HERE (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17005) you'll see that almost 90% of the people on this board approve of the name change. Just thought I'd point that out...