PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Sox Media Bias

Viva Magglio
02-04-2003, 08:14 AM
The rank-and-file media is generally attacking the White Sox for the Sox Park name change. Funny thing, though, is that most fans of the very team whose ballpark made the name change either support the name change or don't care about it. If this alone is not proof of media bias against the White Sox, I do not know what is.

hold2dibber
02-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Mike Downey's article in the Trib today is very complimentary of the name change.

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Not to mention the Northsiders have had a corporate named ballpark since 1920.

gogosoxgogo
02-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Of course. If there is anything in the least bit of a controversy for them, they'll immediately take the side opposite the White Sox, while the Cubs will continue to be praised for signing Todd Hundley and ridding themselves of that cancer Greg Maddux.

Iwritecode
02-04-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
The rank-and-file media is generally attacking the White Sox for the Sox Park name change. Funny thing, though, is that most fans of the very team whose ballpark made the name change either support the name change or don't care about it. If this alone is not proof of media bias against the White Sox, I do not know what is.

I like this quote from Ron Rapoport in the Sun-Times yesterday:

Charles Comiskey was a baseball pioneer and also, if I may quote from Eight Men Out, ''a cheap, stingy tyrant'' who, it could be argued, was just as responsible for the Black Sox scandal as Arnold Rothstein. So go ahead, let the White Sox change the name of Comiskey Park to U.S. Cellular Field. I prefer to think of it as Shoeless Joe Jackson's revenge.

soxnut
02-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Hopefully all the bashing the media is doing is because they are scared...........Yep, scared of the fact that we are going to have a seriously fan friendly ballpark. And a team that is serious about winning.

All those cubbie-lovie medial types will actually have to start covering the Sox games, how they're winning, and how the fans are coming out to the ballpark, the revitalization of the area. Of course they'll still bash the name........but who cares. :smile:

doogiec
02-04-2003, 10:58 PM
My favorite Sox basher this week was the Quick Takes column in the Sun Times. They actually ran a letter from a reader in Montreal complaining about the name change.

Montreal??? They couldn't find anyone south of the border?

TornLabrum
02-04-2003, 11:05 PM
While there is a consensus here as to the fact that the selling of naming rights doesn't mean a thing as long as the money is used to make the ball park better, you can't say the same thing about what is being said on sportstalk radio. The whiners are out in full force, and it isn't just the hosts.

I'm usually proud to be a Sox fan. Get them on a message board or talking baseball at SoxFest or at a game, and there is no more knowledgeable group of fans anywhere. But mention Jerry Reinsdorf, Comiskey Park, or low attendance and all you hear are whining and excuses for not going to games. U.S. Cellular, I fear, will simply be the whiners' next excuse.

doogiec
02-04-2003, 11:29 PM
You've got that right, even though the whiners are a minority, they are vocal and they are encouraged by talk radio hosts and newspaper columnists around town.

These guys are amazing:

They complain that Reinsdorf is too cheap, yet complain that Sox park is no longer named after one of the cheapest owners in baseball history.

They complain that an owner said that a team that was struggling to stay at .500 in August had no chance of winning the division.

They complain that the same owner traded Darwin, Alvarez and Fernandez even though they accomplished very little after the trades.

They complain about the attendance, then brag that they never go anymore.

They complain about the high upper deck, then talk about how stadiums with similar upper decks like the Jake or Camden Yards are wonderful.

They complain about how the Sox treated Fisk, even though everyone on the planet except Fisk knew he was washed up.

They complain about old Comiskey getting torn down, except when it was standing they complained about all the posts, the bathrooms etc and didn't show up then.

The complain that they get stuck in the upper deck during the series versus the Cubs, but wouldn't dream of going to games against Minnesota or Cleveland when good lower deck seats are available.

They complain that new Comiskey was built with public money, then complain when it is remodeled with private money.

And as long as they have an audience, they will complain.

Mammoo
02-04-2003, 11:39 PM
As far as baseball is concerned, Chicago is a Cubs town; not because they are better or the Tribune has more dcredibility but because they're trendy.

The only way for the Sox to possibly break the stranglehold the Cubs have is to get to the World Series.

Remember, no matter how good the Sox get or how bad the Cubs are, Wrigley Field will always be the "X" factor that the Sox will never overcome!

TornLabrum
02-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
As far as baseball is concerned, Chicago is a Cubs town; not because they are better or the Tribune has more dcredibility but because they're trendy.

The only way for the Sox to possibly break the stranglehold the Cubs have is to get to the World Series.

Remember, no matter how good the Sox get or how bad the Cubs are, Wrigley Field will always be the "X" factor that the Sox will never overcome!

Something interesting about trendiness, though. It comes, but it also goes. Today's trendy neighborhood is tomorrow's slum, and today's slum is tomorow's trendy neighborhood. Look at the direction in which gentrification is moving in Chicago. It's headed straight down from the south loop towards Comiskey Park.

There have been upscale condos around 31st and Michigan (or thereabouts - my memory is failing me as to the exact location) for a few years now. The high rises are getting torn down. A developer is trying to sell "historic" homes in Bronzeville. And Comiskey is right in the middle of it all.

Lip Man 1
02-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Gang:

I have no problem with the Sox selling the naming rights. Especially with the contractual guarantee that the owner HAS to put the money back into the park.

However I can not and will not ignore how this same owner has decimated the franchise to without question second class status in their own city by his tremendously damaging and stupid comments and PR moves. (or non moves)

The latest being the comment in the paper that he wants to win more then many Sox fans. That ranks right up their with his comment last year that "Chicago has ALWAYS belonged to the Cubs."

Lip

hsnterprize
02-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo

And what bothers Cub fans the most about this is that now Wrigley Field is going to get some better competition.

All of the media hype was centered around those who didn't like the name change. I really don't think there is a problem with it. There are so many stadiums and arenas out there that are named after corporations, that Cominskey's name was fair game. I respect the tradition of calling the home of the Sox, "Comiskey Park", but if U.S. Cellular can bring a top-caliber ballpark, and the Sox can produce a winner, then who cares? If anything, U.S. Cellular may get a lot more customers because of their affiliation if the Sox win.