PDA

View Full Version : Boycott: Real Sox Fans Don't Use U.S. Cellular (letter to U.S. Cellular)

RememberOscar
02-03-2003, 08:10 PM

ScottySoxFan
02-03-2003, 08:12 PM
That'll teach 'em.

There is no way enough people would boycott to even make an impact.

Unregistered
02-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Dear Fritz,
We appreciate your concern and certainly respect your decision to boycott U.S. Cellular. However, due to the current economic climate, we plan on going bankrupt and/or out of business sometime near 2006 anyway, so boycott all you want.

See Ya At The Ballpark!
Michelle Merrell
U.S. Cellular

PaleHoseGeorge
02-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Just curious, RO. Why the deep concern for keeping the ballpark named for a man who has been dead for 70 years? The ballpark he built was named for him and it was wrecked for being antiquated and economically unfeasible (i.e. not enough skybox revenue) nearly 13 years ago.

What did Charles Comiskey ever do for you or your fellow Sox Fans to deserve this crusade you appear willing to lead?

RememberOscar
02-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Oh, you're totally wrong.

1) In this city we have 6-plus pretty much interchangeable cell phone companies.

2) A few hundred thousand people visit Comiskey Park each year.

3) Many more care about the White Sox, and can influence family members and friends. So say we're talking about 200,000 consumers total.

4) You only need 2000 people (1%) cancelling service, plus another portion excluding US from the potential choices, to completely negate the annual payment they'll make to the Sox.

This is actually a pretty small group of people--less than the amount of people in the upper deck at a given game!

THE_HOOTER
02-03-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm sure that some of the older posters here will agree with me when I say that the name Comiskey Park didn't have nearly the meaning since the old park was torn down.

The park should not have even been named Comiskey Park.

This is just another example of someone looking for a reason to bitch about nothing.

Enjoy the renovations and support your team.

Don't complain about the name change-the meaning of New Comiskey Park was non-existant.

No Andy the Clown, no golden boxes, and no wax paper beer cups was the end to Comiskey for me.

A new era was born with the new park-whether we like it or not.

U.S. Cellular Stadium or whatever it is, is more appropriate than Comiskey Park.

I bet your one of those guys/girls who boycotts the park due to the White Flag trade.

THE_HOOTER
02-03-2003, 08:32 PM
That warrants the post of the week.

Bucktown
02-03-2003, 08:47 PM
I love the idea. I am moving all of my companies business to US Cellular (500 phones).

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 08:48 PM
I know as a US Cellular customer that I'll have a much easier time paying my bill each month knowing that it's going to help rehab the park that I spend so much time at.

clarkent
02-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by RememberOscar
Michele M. Merrell, Public Relations
U.S. Cellular
(773) 399-4922

Dear Ms. Merrell,

As a life-long White Sox fan, I'm sad that the current White Sox ownership has chosen to break yet another link with the team's past. It's even worse that a company based in Chicago is collaborating in breaking this link (while insincerely suggesting that $1.5 million a year in present value will make a significant change to the upper deck of a $200 million stadium!).

Yep, it's yet another indignity of being loyal to the White Sox. Of course, over the years it's been hard to find a way to punish the ownership for tearing down our stadium, driving away our best broadcasters, or managing the team poorly. After all, what are we going to do? Not go to games? Stop watching? Some, it is true, have given up following the Sox, but, for those that remain, giving up baseball and team loyalty is a price too high to pay.

Yet in collaborating in one of the most crass abuses of loyalty ever perpetrated on Sox fans, U.S. Cellular is making a huge mistake. Because this time Sox fans can register their protest with concrete action, without having to sacrifice their enjoyment of baseball.

As our own small way of expressing our objections, we vow never to use U.S. Cellular products. This boycott will be a test of Sox fan loyalty: Real Sox Fans Don't Use U.S. Cellular.

The cost will be quite substantial to you. If you figure the average customer is worth $750 per year to your firm, the whole deal will become a losing proposition for you when you lose as few as 2,000 customers.

Save your money, and go back to simply advertising at the ballpark. Preserve the Comiskey name on the ballpark as a solitary link to the past.

Sincerely,

Fritz Kaegi

P.S. If you must have your name on the ballpark, please change the name of your company to Comiskey.

Give me a break! Worry about the team not the name of the stadium. Would you have been as mad if they were called the Tampa White Sox playing at the Tropiciana Dome? Put it in perspective. At least we have them here-- thanks US Cellular!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-03-2003, 08:58 PM
:comiskey
"If you don't support the boycott of U.S. Cellular, I'm going to start charging all of you for laundry!"

:reinsy
"Dammit, why didn't I think of that!"

:KW
"You did, boss! But then Pizer said you could make even more money jacking the price of bleacher seats higher than box seats in the upper tank, so you did that instead."

:ohno
"Oh, Lord... somebody buy me a drink..."

the scorekeeper
02-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Goodness, I don't even know where to begin....

1. The average cell bill in the US is somewhere between $40-$60, which means the annual total is...$600 or so. US Cellular is doing major promotions in Chicago right now, essentially half-price. So, the value to them is lower, per person. Oh, and if you try to cancel the contract they almost certainly made you agree to, you'll owe them a nice chunk of change. So, your numbers are way too high.

2. 200,000 people? Attendance at the park, RO, was 1,766,172 in 2001. I think it was lower in 2002, but let's assume 1.5million is a safe guess? Add in your family and friends, and where do you get? Gee, this makes your numbers way too low, except for the cancellation issue. Either way, it doesn't matter because:

3. While the net present value of the rights may be, well, whatever in 2025, the fact of the matter is that the Sox and the ISFA will be using the revenue to back a bond issue.

Assuming that the ISFA can get (and I've adjusted this since my last post on the issue) a rate of 5.25% on a 20-year bond, that means they can trade those payments in for just about $35million in money available for construction next winter.

Funny, isn't $35 million on the low end of the estimates for the rehab?

Oh well, welcome aboard anyway.

joecrede
02-03-2003, 09:27 PM
I wonder of the people who are against this deal how many have actually sat in the top 10 rows of the upper deck? My guess is very few. (Didn't one of the plans have the press box being converted to a restaurant? No wonder the writers don't like this.)

To say these are bad seats is minimizing the problem. I don't think most people expect great seats at the lowest ticket price. The real problem with these seats are that many people are scared to sit in them. And if you have kids, no way are you bringing them up there.

Shaving off the top 10 rows and replacing the awning with a full-fledged roof (for better depth perception when climbing the stairs) will eliminate the fear factor long associated with the upper deck.

mike squires
02-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I'm sure that some of the older posters here will agree with me when I say that the name Comiskey Park didn't have nearly the meaning since the old park was torn down.

The park should not have even been named Comiskey Park.

This is just another example of someone looking for a reason to bitch about nothing.

Enjoy the renovations and support your team.

Don't complain about the name change-the meaning of New Comiskey Park was non-existant.

No Andy the Clown, no golden boxes, and no wax paper beer cups was the end to Comiskey for me.

A new era was born with the new park-whether we like it or not.

U.S. Cellular Stadium or whatever it is, is more appropriate than Comiskey Park.

I bet your one of those guys/girls who boycotts the park due to the White Flag trade.

Ribbie and Roobarb will be making a comeback though, won't they...won't they?

voodoochile
02-03-2003, 09:29 PM
U.S. Cellular
(773) 399-4922

Dear Ms. Merrell,

As a long time White Sox fan, I am glad that White Sox ownership has finally managed to sell the naming rights to the stadium. It's even better that a company which is based in Chicago is the one to buy those rights. I am very happy that the $50 million over the first two years of the contract will allow the Sox to make a significant change to the upper deck and other features of our modern yet slightly stale stadium.

Finally, a change that returns some dignity to being a loyal fan of the White Sox. Most of us weren't that happy when the ownership decided to tear down our old stadium, drive away our best broadcasters and manage the team poorly on a shoe string budget. Hopefully your money will make it easier for them to correct some of these problems and bring more fans out to the park. We don't want to not go to games or stop watching yet the lack of financial commitment by the present ownership has left us with little choice. Maybe a fancy new face on our sterile ballmall will bring back some fellow diehards and attract a few more of the casual fans who flock to Wrigley thus allowing ownership to up the payroll and make the Sox into a champion.

In collaborating with our favorite team you have guaranteed the loyalty of thousands or even millions of customers who also happen to be Sox fans, U.S. Cellular is making a great decision. Because this time Sox fans can register their happiness with concrete action, and in the process hopefully increase the enjoyment they get out of baseball.

As our own small way of expressing our appreciation, we vow to only use U.S. Cellular products. This will be a test of Sox fan loyalty: Real Sox Fans Only Use U.S. Cellular.

The benefits will be quite substantial for you. If you figure the average customer is worth $750 per year to your firm, the whole deal will become a winning proposition for you if you gain as few as 2,000 customers.

Again, thanks for giving the Sox your money, this is a much larger commitment than simply advertising at the ballpark. We don't care about preserving the Comiskey name on the ballpark if it helps the team.

Sincerely,

Jim Laffer

P.S. I look forward to seeing many years of baseball at U.S Cellular Field.

IronFisk
02-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
U.S. Cellular
(773) 399-4922

Dear Ms. Merrell,

As our own small way of expressing our appreciation, we vow to only use U.S. Cellular products. This will be a test of Sox fan loyalty: Real Sox Fans Only Use U.S. Cellular.

Sincerely,

Jim Laffer

P.S. I look forward to seeing many years of baseball at U.S Cellular Field.

That's a White Sox Winner, voodoo boy!!!

:)

Sorry, anybody who thinks this is a bad idea must be a distant relative of the Chuckter. Case closed.

RedPinStripes
02-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Wow. Sox fans do have a rep for bitching a lot, but the dumb reasons some can come up with not to spend 50.00 at a ball game for the team they truly love just makes me want to puke. Not showing up to the ball park does nothing for the white sox. I support the 94 strike boycott, but i got over it after 3 years. Who really gives a ratt's ass what the place is called? They're getting money to fix that park which we all know damn well uncle jerry never would have done.

Charles Comiskey was about as popular as jr if not disliked more.
There must have been a damn good reason for a championship team to throw the world series.

And PHG brings a good point.........."What did C. Comiskey ever do for you? " He started this team that we cheer for. great, i'll always remember him for that, but what really happened in the old park? We won 1 world series in 80 years there.

New park new name, maybe the baseball gods will forget about the black sox.

COMISKEY PARK IS GONE It's never coming back. this new park should never have been named after the old one.

chisox06
02-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Man I tell ya some people are never happy. We moan and complain (the majority of us) that the park sucks and that the upper deck needs to be renovated. Then when the sox get the chance, we moan and complain. Grow up, it's business. If US Celluar gives the sox an opportunity to improve the park, I'm all for it.

soxnut
02-03-2003, 10:09 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TO U.S. CELLULAR I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE I WILL GET MYSELF A U.S. CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :gulp: :

DID I SAY THANK YOU U.S CELLULAR?? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D:

OLD COMISKEY WAS COOL LOOKING, AND YEAH MY DAD TOOK ME THERE FOR MY FIRST GAME IN '75, BUT........IT WAS A DUMP A DUMP A DUMP A DUMP. OLD CHUCK TRIED TO GET RID OF THE PLACE IN THE A WHILE BACK, SO IT WASN'T A GREAT PLACE THEN EITHER.

80 YEARS................YEAH........OF FUTILITY.....WHAT TRADITION......WHOO HOO.

THAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........U.S. CELLULAR :smile: :

OF COURSE YOU'LL ALWAYS GET THE BITCHERS WHINERS COMPLAINERS ABOUT EVERYTHING NO MATTER WHAT YOU :cool: DO :cool: :cool: THAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........................

US CELLULAR :D:

RedPinStripes
02-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Man I tell ya some people are never happy. We moan and complain (the majority of us) that the park sucks and that the upper deck needs to be renovated. Then when the sox get the chance, we moan and complain. Grow up, it's business. If US Celluar gives the sox an opportunity to improve the park, I'm all for it.

thank you. :gulp:

RedPinStripes
02-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TO U.S. CELLULAR I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

AS SOON AS POSSIBLE I WILL GET MYSELF A U.S. CELLULAR PHONE SERVICE

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :gulp: :

DID I SAY THANK YOU U.S CELLULAR?? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D:

OLD COMISKEY WAS COOL LOOKING, AND YEAH MY DAD TOOK ME THERE FOR MY FIRST GAME IN '75, BUT........IT WAS A DUMP A DUMP A DUMP A DUMP. OLD CHUCK TRIED TO GET RID OF THE PLACE IN THE A WHILE BACK, SO IT WASN'T A GREAT PLACE THEN EITHER.

80 YEARS................YEAH........OF FUTILITY.....WHAT TRADITION......WHOO HOO.

THAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........U.S. CELLULAR :smile: :

OF COURSE YOU'LL ALWAYS GET THE BITCHERS WHINERS COMPLAINERS ABOUT EVERYTHING NO MATTER WHAT YOU :cool: DO :cool: :cool: THAK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..........................

US CELLULAR :D:

Old Comiskey was a dump, but that's the way we liked it!

Damn i miss that place....... :whiner:

cheeses_h_rice
02-03-2003, 10:27 PM
U.S. Cellular
(773) 399-4922

Dear Ms. Merrell,

As a life-long White Sox fan, I'm sad that the current White Sox ownership has chosen to break yet another link with the team's past. It's even worse that a company based in Chicago is collaborating in breaking this link (while insincerely suggesting that $1.5 million a year in present value will make a significant change to the upper deck of a $200 million stadium!).

Yep, it's yet another indignity of being loyal to the White Sox. Of course, over the years it's been hard to find a way to punish the ownership for tearing down our stadium, driving away our best broadcasters, or managing the team poorly. After all, what are we going to do? Not go to games? Stop watching? Some, it is true, have given up following the Sox, but, for those that remain, giving up baseball and team loyalty is a price too high to pay.

Yet in collaborating in one of the most crass abuses of loyalty ever perpetrated on Sox fans, U.S. Cellular is making a huge mistake. Because this time Sox fans can register their protest with concrete action, without having to sacrifice their enjoyment of baseball.

As our own small way of expressing our objections, we vow never to use U.S. Cellular products. This boycott will be a test of Sox fan loyalty: Real Sox Fans Don't Use U.S. Cellular.

The cost will be quite substantial to you. If you figure the average customer is worth $750 per year to your firm, the whole deal will become a losing proposition for you when you lose as few as 2,000 customers.

Save your money, and go back to simply advertising at the ballpark. Preserve the Comiskey name on the ballpark as a solitary link to the past.

Sincerely,

Fritz Kaegi

P.S. If you must have your name on the ballpark, please change the name of your company to Comiskey.

Allow me to translate:

<Grandpa Simpson>Bitch, bitch, bitch!</Grandpa Simpson>

TornLabrum
02-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Wow. Sox fans do have a rep for bitching a lot, but the dumb reasons some can come up with not to spend 50.00 at a ball game for the team they truly love just makes me want to puke. Not showing up to the ball park does nothing for the white sox. I support the 94 strike boycott, but i got over it after 3 years. Who really gives a ratt's ass what the place is called? They're getting money to fix that park which we all know damn well uncle jerry never would have done.

Charles Comiskey was about as popular as jr if not disliked more.
There must have been a damn good reason for a championship team to throw the world series.

And PHG brings a good point.........."What did C. Comiskey ever do for you? " He started this team that we cheer for. great, i'll always remember him for that, but what really happened in the old park? We won 1 world series in 80 years there.

New park new name, maybe the baseball gods will forget about the black sox.

COMISKEY PARK IS GONE It's never coming back. this new park should never have been named after the old one.

Damn! I just wrote a column on this and sent it to PHG about 3 minutes ago!

I didn't touch on the Old Roman, but I'll disagree with you. Comiskey was a beloved owner. I suggest you read any of Rich Lindberg's books about the White Sox. The fans and writers loved him.

The thing I find fascinating is how the Comiskey family lost control of the Sox through the bunglings of Comiskey's daughter-in-law and grandchildren. That's the story I tell in my article.

WhiteSoxWinner
02-03-2003, 10:40 PM
There is just no pleasing some people. Corporate sponsorship is the way it is. You either accept it and move on, or get old and bitter. I personally think that if the money goes to make the park better, then who cares what it is called? I'll probably still call it Comiskey, or Sox Park, despite who bought the naming rights.

baggio202
02-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
There is just no pleasing some people. Corporate sponsorship is the way it is. You either accept it and move on, or get old and bitter. I personally think that if the money goes to make the park better, then who cares what it is called? I'll probably still call it Comiskey, or Sox Park, despite who bought the naming rights.

if the sox can get those renovations done in two years...especially fixing the upper deck and the short porch in RF...then US cellular can come and tatoo their name all over my ass and ill run around the bases naked every 7th inning singing their praises...now thats a white sox visual !!!... :gulp:

pearso66
02-03-2003, 11:32 PM
As a person who's sat in the top 10 rows of Comiskey, i have to say, they werent that bad. Granted it was steep, but that was all that was wrong with them, I've sat in the very last row, the view is still pretty good. And it's fun to see the drunk fans roll down over the seats for a good 5 rows, as long as they dont get hurt.
But I am glad to see us get some money to spend on updating the park, The name of the park isnt that big of a deal

voodoochile
02-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
if the sox can get those renovations done in two years...especially fixing the upper deck and the short porch in RF...then US cellular can come and tatoo their name all over my ass and ill run around the bases naked every 7th inning singing their praises...now thats a white sox visual !!!... :gulp:

*****!!!

Now there is a Sox fan...

Man if I hadn't just done a POTW this would be it... well done...

Pete_SSAC
02-03-2003, 11:48 PM
*blinks

*looks at the poll about the name change*

Hmm... 44 aprove, 6 don't....

Makes me think REAL SOX FANS don't really care about the name change.

- Pete

WhiteSoxWinner
02-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

Yeeeeeee, this is a disturbing visual. I guess if you leave your shirt on though, it's OK.

PS - Got to change your location to "27 mile ENE of US Cellular Field"

Tavarin
02-04-2003, 12:00 AM
Too bad we cant be Petco field :(

RichH55
02-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Lets see: The person advocating boycott has 2 posts now.....nah, that doesnt reek of oppurtunism

Pete_SSAC
02-04-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Lets see: The person advocating boycott has 2 posts now.....nah, that doesnt reek of oppurtunism

I'm willing to bet it's the Verizon "Can you hear me now?" guy.

- Pete, who uses Verizon, and can hear you now.

dllrbll7
02-04-2003, 12:17 AM
You are nuts if you think 2,000 customers or even 10 US Cellular Customers will cancel there service because of them supporting the White Sox. I dont have a US Cellular plan but i ahve been with almost everyother company out there and its not easy to get out of a contract unless you want to fork over acouple hundred dollars. I love the Sox and all but there would be no way i would waste $200+ dollars to cancel my phone contract just to try to make a point to one of the largest cellular companies in the nation when i already spend hundreds of my dollars on tickets, parking, food, and memorabilia each year at the ballpark. I agree with whoever said they may change to US Cellular because you know you are supporting the renovations at "The Cell". Whether we like it or not the park will be called US Cellular Field for years to come even if US Cellular goes under like it probably will, Just look at Enron Field, They have no money but still have the name on the ballpark. It took me 3 days to accept the name and to realize i dont go to the game because of the ballpark, i go for the game. If you care so much about the name of the ballpark and not the game go over to the north side and get wasted in the stands.

baggio202
02-04-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Yeeeeeee, this is a disturbing visual. I guess if you leave your shirt on though, it's OK.

PS - Got to change your location to "27 mile ENE of US Cellular Field"

good catch on the name change..ill get on that

gogosoxgogo
02-04-2003, 09:39 AM
For the original poster:

What disturbs you about this deal that you're willing to call a boycott of this company? Who really cares! Are you saying you aren't for improving the park? I could care less what the name is, the important thing to me is what they put on the field. My theory is that this name change will create a better park, which will attract more fans, which will disallow JR from using the excuse of not enough fans come to the park so he can't put a good product on the field, which will create a better, more winning team. There's nothing wrong with this deal. If you still really hate it so much, remember that they can change the official name all they want, but you can still call it Sox park, which is what I plan on doing.

I'm sure that your letter has already circulated around the offices of US Cellular and is the laughing stock of every employee there. I'm willing to bet that you are going to be the only person boycotting US Cellular for renaming our beloved Sox park.

hsnterprize
02-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by chisox06

I don't think all these naysayers would complain one bit about the name of U.S. Cellular Field if the name became, "U.S. Cellular Field: Home of the 2003 World Series Champions, the Chicago White Sox".

Give the Sox a chance to do what they're going to do. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ballpark will look after these renovations are done. It's about time the Sox did something to improve their ballpark. The renovations over the past few years are nice, but this is what I've been waiting for.

Not to mention, I'm a U.S. Cellular subscriber, and I think the service is pretty good. How 'bout 'dem apples?

:bluesbros

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Oh, you're totally wrong.

1) In this city we have 6-plus pretty much interchangeable cell phone companies.

2) A few hundred thousand people visit Comiskey Park each year.

3) Many more care about the White Sox, and can influence family members and friends. So say we're talking about 200,000 consumers total.

4) You only need 2000 people (1%) cancelling service, plus another portion excluding US from the potential choices, to completely negate the annual payment they'll make to the Sox.

This is actually a pretty small group of people--less than the amount of people in the upper deck at a given game!

He's got a point everyone. I know I haven't chewed Wrigley's gum since 1920.

thecell
02-04-2003, 03:05 PM
The only legitimate reason to boycott US Cellular would be to force them to get a new spokesperson. The sasquatch/bobblehead-looking/crooked-jawed spokesperson they currently have (Joan Cusack) is repulsive...

Iwritecode
02-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by thecell
The only legitimate reason to boycott US Cellular would be to force them to get a new spokesperson. The sasquatch/bobblehead-looking/crooked-jawed spokesperson they currently have (Joan Cusack) is repulsive...

I've seen Vanessa Williams and Catherine Zeta-Jones (but I can't remember for which companies), but we end up with Joan Cusack??? :(: :whiner:

I'd rather have the "Can you hear me now" guy or the dude in the trench coat...

moochpuppy
02-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I've seen Vanessa Williams and Catherine Zeta-Jones (but I can't remember for which companies), but we end up with Joan Cusack??? :(: :whiner:

Zeta-Jones is for T-Mobile. I've only seen Vanessa in Radio Shack commercials. Jamie Lee Curtis used to sell for Voice Stream until T-Mobile bought them out.

Cheryl
02-04-2003, 03:46 PM
I love Joan Cusack. Does she do commercials for this company?

Hullett_Fan
02-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I love Joan Cusack. Does she do commercials for this company?

Yep she does. She's funny and I'm a big fan of her brother (John). "Better Off Dead" is one of the best 80's teen movies. I liked "High Fidelity" a lot too.

She's not the best looking thing out there (and she is a bit slack-jawed)...but she's from Chicago and she's not a complete ditz and utter annoyance like Zeta-Jones or Jaime Lee-Curtis.

Cheryl
02-04-2003, 04:02 PM
I used to live down the street from her when she was a struggling actress and John was starting to get famous. It was funny--we always knew when John was in town and staying at Joan's because there'd be this sudden influx of teenaged girls wandering up and down the block. Nice people, the Cusacks. Too bad he grew up a Cubs fan.

Oh-- I wrote to US Cellular today to thank them for supporting the White Sox. This is what I got back--today, mind you, not some time next week.

Dear Ms. Powell,

Thank you for your support.

We appreciate your kind remarks and felt the opportunity to partner with the
Chicago White Sox was an excellent fit because both of our organizations are
strongly committed to our customers and to the Chicagoland community. We are
extremely proud of U.S. Cellular's Chicago roots. Our company's
participation in the dramatic makeover of this great ballpark is exciting
because it directly benefits the White Sox, their fans and the City of
Chicago. The chance to have a professional ballpark with our company name on
it in our hometown is really very exciting. But, we don't want this
partnership to be just about getting our "name on the stadium". We have
worked closely with the White Sox to ensure the money provided by this
partnership will be used to make major changes to the ballpark that will
improve the quality of the fan experience.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
Aaron Grusi
Customer Care
U.S. Cellular

Unregistered
02-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
She's not the best looking thing out there (and she is a bit slack-jawed)...but she's from Chicago and she's not a complete ditz and utter annoyance like Zeta-Jones or Jaime Lee-Curtis. Here's an article in the Southtown about the whole ''Joan Cusack being a Cub Fan'' thing and if it affects US Cellular... Marketing plans likely to include Cubs fan Cusack (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/041sd3.htm)

doogiec
02-04-2003, 09:52 PM
People bitch when sports teams use public money to build or remodel stadiums.

People bitch when ticket prices increase.

People bitch that Reinsdorf doesn't spend enough money to compete with the big boys.

Now the Sox find a way to improve the stadium with PRIVATE money, which should allow the Sox to increase attendance, allowing them to increase payroll without needing huge ticket price increases, and people bitch. And then they bitch about removing the name of a Sox owner who was a million times cheaper than Reinsdorf.

I can understand Cub fans being brainwashed by the media, but its truly sad to see it happen to Sox fans who should know better.

US Cellular should be thanked for providing the money. Too bad some people just wanna bitch.

pissonthecubs
02-04-2003, 10:19 PM
hey RO, you go on with your bad self! besides telling your pretty much insane, i don't really know where to start. you just keep thinking that you can start the demise of a giant Cellular company. well just like we were told in Caddyshack, "the world needs ditchdiggers too", the world i guess also needs idiots, and you'll fit that spot just fine. stop giving bad names to sox fans as fans that just bitch about everything and anything, and enjoy the new renovations of U.S. Cellular Field.

hsnterprize
02-05-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
People bitch when sports teams use public money to build or remodel stadiums.

People bitch when ticket prices increase.

People bitch that Reinsdorf doesn't spend enough money to compete with the big boys.

Now the Sox find a way to improve the stadium with PRIVATE money, which should allow the Sox to increase attendance, allowing them to increase payroll without needing huge ticket price increases, and people bitch. And then they bitch about removing the name of a Sox owner who was a million times cheaper than Reinsdorf.

I can understand Cub fans being brainwashed by the media, but its truly sad to see it happen to Sox fans who should know better.

US Cellular should be thanked for providing the money. Too bad some people just wanna bitch.

Can I get an "Amen" for that, brotha?

:dinger

TRL
02-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Who cares what the name of the stadium is? It's the same place with the same players on the field. Call it whatever you want. I have to agree with doogiec, it just seems that people need something to complain about. The money is going to be used to renovate the upper deck, which in my opinion doesn't need renovating anyway. Which is another thing people just bitch about. The upper deck is too steep? For what jumping jacks? Just sit there and watch the damn game. Being a college student, I've seen many games from the upper deck and have never had a problem with it. If you don't want to get up to get your beer, that's why they have vendors.

Enjoy the $68 million, quit complaining, and go to the park and enjoy the Sox already!!

Brian26
02-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Agree 100% with the last two posts. The money is going to improve the Park. I think most intelligent Sox fans could care less at this point what the name of the Park is. The real Comiskey was on the north side of 35th. At this point, who cares.

I have a feeling that the schmuck who wrote the original letter to US Cellular probably hasn't been to a Sox game since the Gene Lamont era anyway.

Bring on the homerun porch!

soxguy
02-16-2003, 09:12 PM
hey moron, do u think us cellular gives a rats ass what you think? getting any company to pay for renovations to this ballpark is a stroke of genius, you just dont want to give credit where credit is due. If uncle jerry won you a world series you would probably be the one to bitch about not enough ice in your ballpark maitai. If you don't like the name, don't come to the park. I for one don't care about dumping the comiskey name, Mr comiskey was a cheapskate.

wassagstdu
02-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
. . . the schmuck who wrote the original letter to US Cellular probably hasn't been to a Sox game since the Gene Lamont era anyway.

Originally posted by soxguy
hey moron, do u think us cellular gives a rats ass what you think?

I know there is some thrill for adolescents to call people "schmucks" and "morons" anonymously, but I do wish this site were a little less like a junior high school newsgroup sometimes. Can't adult sox fans debate an issue like this without insulting each other??

FanOf14
02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by wassagstdu
I know there is some thrill for adolescents to call people "schmucks" and "morons" anonymously, but I do wish this site were a little less like a junior high school newsgroup sometimes. Can't adult sox fans debate an issue like this without insulting each other??

Glad to know I wasn't the only one wondering about that...

Juan Pizarro
02-17-2003, 01:02 PM
I've been in the upper deck a whle lot. Anything to help the upper reaches is a godsend, if you ask me.

Now, if they could swing a deal to bring back McCuddy's....

Mammoo
02-17-2003, 01:41 PM
I respect everyone's position, regardless of what side you're on. These deals are a fact of life and there is no sense "spitting into the wind"!

It hurt when they tore down the old place and I knew it was a matter of time before the new one got a name change. The memories are what’s important. No amount of business dealings will take those away.

Hopefully, this team will make some lasting memories that will last long after Comiskey II is in a landfill.