PDA

View Full Version : North Polling Listeners On...

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 03:50 PM
...who is the most popular player on the White Sox. He is disputing Carol Slezak's asserstion that Frank Thomas is still No. 1. I say Thomas' popularity on the Sox is No. 3 at best, behind No. 1 Mágglio Ordóńez and No. 2 Paul Konerko.

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 04:10 PM
I'd have to agree with Slezak. Frank is, and always has been, the most popular member of the White Sox. Although Maggs' popularity has shot through the roof. I'd put PK third, although I'm sure I'll get criticized fo that.

ChiSoxKid
02-03-2003, 04:34 PM
I think that among Sox fans, Magglio and Konerko are most popular. But when asking non-Sox fans, Thomas is still highly regarded.

There is plenty of ill will for Thomas from Sox fans that could all go away if he has a productive season in 2003.

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 04:36 PM
That ill-will certainly wasn't apparent this weekend when fans lined up hours in advance to see the "Big Hurt."

ChiSoxKid
02-03-2003, 04:43 PM
A very good point that I cannot explain...were the lines for every player filled?

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 04:54 PM
The lines were incredible, particulary for the aforementioned Thomas, Magglio and Konerko. Even the lines for the lesser-known players filled up quick. It was great to see.

voodoochile
02-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxKid
A very good point that I cannot explain...were the lines for every player filled?

Yes, but Frank's autograph load (800) was larger than anyone else.

BTW, welcome aboard...

moochpuppy
02-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

BTW, welcome aboard...

I guess he's still the Man. :?:

Thomas signs 800 autographs (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030201&content_id=195484&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Frank gets a bad rap from the media, but he was tremendous this weekend. He signed two cards for my nephew, took pictures was all smiles and very easy to talk to. As this was going on, Brad Palmer from Channel 7 was doing a stand alone saying that Frank needs to learn how to handle things like Sosa. Ridiculous.

OfficerKarkovice
02-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Frank has always been...and will always be...my favorite White Sox player. I have met him several times at Sox Fest and at the park. He has been absolutely fantastic. Never anything but friendly, talkative, and always willing to take out time for the fans. I think he gets a bad rap from people from his sometimes introverted style when dealing with the media. Still, I think Frank still remains #1 in many, many fans hearts.

FarmerAndy
02-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Frank gets a bad rap from the media, but he was tremendous this weekend. He signed two cards for my nephew, took pictures was all smiles and very easy to talk to. As this was going on, Brad Palmer from Channel 7 was doing a stand alone saying that Frank needs to learn how to handle things like Sosa. Ridiculous.

I was waiting in line right by the front, next to Brad Palmer when he was recording that bit.

Most players are pretty cordial when doing autograph signings, but in 3 years of going to SoxFest I've never encountered a player as nice as Frank Thomas. He made eye contact and smiled at every person he was signing for, and took a picture with everybody who wanted one. He was great with the little kids too. After he signed a photgraph for me he shook my hand, patted me on the shoulder, and thanked me for coming out.

I couldn't believe that while Frank was being as great as he was to all of the fans, Brad Palmer was next to the stage recording a bit on how Frank has a big chip on his shoulder. I also wanted to break is nose when I heard him mention Sammy Sosa. I mean, if they feel the need to be constantly critical of Frank, for whatever reason, do they have to always praise Sammy in the same breath?

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Farmer Andy I'm glad you heard that too. I really wanted to say something because I'm so sick of the love Sosa gets.
I guess that's what happens when you kiss the ass of the media. Oh well, nonetheless, it was a great experience and well worth the two-hour wait in line.

RedPinStripes
02-03-2003, 07:10 PM

BTW, welcome aboard...

If you want a response from voodoo, just mention frank and he'll be there in minutes. :smile: Not that it's a bad thing.

voodoochile
02-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If you want a response from voodoo, just mention frank and he'll be there in minutes. :smile: Not that it's a bad thing.

read my bio and it isn't hard to see why...

:D:

RKMeibalane
02-03-2003, 09:32 PM
I usually show up, too. :D:

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Remember my account of Mágglio's departure from the autograph booth on Sunday? Well, I was also on hand when Frank left that same booth. There were few - if any - people following him as went up the escalator. Here is also another factor. There is a substantial percentage of White Sox fans who have a negative opinion of Frank. What percentage of them have a negative opinion of Mágglio in comparison? Ordóńez has to have at least a 98% approval rating among Sox fans. Thomas' cannot possibly that high

T Dog
02-03-2003, 11:10 PM
During the 1990s, I lived in Arizona and made the trip to Anaheim when the Sox came to town. Thomas always drew a pregame crowd of kids by signing autographs. When I returned to the Midwest, I started hearing Thomas was a jerk.

I've heard people at Sox park complain that Thomas is a bum. I don't think there is any question that Ordonez has emerged as the team's most popular player, but I think a lot of Sox fans want to cheer for Thomas. On a Saturday night last summer during a big inning when Ordonez came through and Konerko responded to the "Paul-ee" chant with a big hit, Thomas came up and a loud bunch of fans started chanting "Frank-ee."

Unfortunately, my favorite Sox player will be pitching for the Expos in 2003.

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 11:12 PM

According to the SoxFest flyer, Mágglio and Frank each signed 1500 autographs. Paulie signed 1150 which includes 250 in a private Saturday session.