PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular Field -- From the press release...

Kilroy
02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Uncle Jer says:

"Our goal is to create a world-class ballpark that reflects the City of Chicago," said Reinsdorf. "We will continue to improve the intimacy, feel and character of the ballpark over the next two years. Fans have responded very positively to previous renovations, so we look forward to unveiling the new version of U.S. Cellular Field in 2005."

Further:

"The legacy of Charles A. Comiskey and the entire Comiskey family is very important to the history of this franchise," Reinsdorf said. "The Comiskey family played a defining role in White Sox history from 1901 to 1959, and we are committed to acknowledging the Comiskey family legacy within the ballpark in an appropriate manner."

Thoughts??

Unregistered
02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
You think part of the renovations will include turning the entire park 180 degrees so we can see the city skyline???

CHISOXFAN13
02-03-2003, 03:24 PM
I would guess if they trim half the upper tank and build a home run porch in right, that you'd get a pretty decent view of the skyline.. Who knows. I'd love it if they turned it around like every other damn ballpark in the country.

Randar68
02-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I would guess if they trim half the upper tank and build a home run porch in right, that you'd get a pretty decent view of the skyline.. Who knows. I'd love it if they turned it around like every other damn ballpark in the country. iy

They set it up so the prevailing wind would blow out to left or left-center. Sorry that didn't mean a skyline view, but it means more runs and HR's...in theory at least

joecrede
02-03-2003, 05:24 PM
From the press release:

"Today is very special day for US Cellular and me personally," John Rooney, president and CEO of U.S. Cellular said. "I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago and have been a White Sox fan all my life."

I'm thinking Mr. Rooney is going to continue calling it Comiskey too ... :)

hose
02-03-2003, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by joecrede
[B]From the press release:

"Today is very special day for US Cellular and me personally," John Rooney, president and CEO of U.S. Cellular said. "I was born and raised on the south side of Chicago and have been a White Sox fan all my life."

I take it he must have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, from Sox radio annoucer to president and CEO of US Cellular.

HawkDJ
02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
"There are bound to be some people who are not going to be happy about changing the name of the ballpark," Reinsdorf conceded. "But, after they see what U.S. Cellular has done to this ballpark, they will be happy."

Added Reinsdorf: "I'm sure of the Comiskeys, perhaps the third and fourth generations are going to feel bad, but this is not about the Comiskeys. This is about our fans. This is going to be a much better place for our fans. This ballpark was built for $137 million and all the new ballparks that followed it were built between $300-400 million. So we had to cut some corners and do some things we didn't want to do. Now this is going to enable us to do it and get it right."

I'm glad to see all the money is going into the stadium and I belive we will all be much happier once it is done.

hose
02-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Uncle Jer says:

Further:

Thoughts??

I am a bit surprised that Reinsdorf isn't taking this oppurtunity to take full advantage of all the media coverage and present the changes and really "sell" the future new look of the much maligned park. The only thing I can think of is that some important details to the deal have to still be ironed out.

I was sitting in Comiskey on a beautiful summer night last year and talking to a Sox fan that lived in Bridgeport.

Besides being a very knowledgeable baseball fan he had a lot of interesting takes on the future of the surrounding area and the rising real estate values.

One thing that really stuck out was what was going to replace the housing projects? He mentioned that talk of a "entertainment zone" has come up, with restaraunts and night clubs in the mix. The bottom line is that the resurgence of the South Loop is going to continue to spread . New homes/townhomes are being built and area homeowners are rehabbing and upgrading existing properties , spending money with confidence on their investment.

By 2005 Comiskey/ US Cellular Field will have a completely new look and Bridgeport wont be to far behind

Kilroy
02-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by hose
I am a bit surprised that Reinsdorf isn't taking this oppurtunity to take full advantage of all the media coverage and present the changes and really "sell" the future new look of the much maligned park. The only thing I can think of is that some important details to the deal have to still be ironed out....

It was mentioned that some details still needed to be worked out.
Besides, it makes sense to wait and have an unveiling of the plans. That way, they get good press on another occasion down the line.

...He mentioned that talk of a "entertainment zone" has come up, with restaraunts and night clubs in the mix. The bottom line is that the resurgence of the South Loop is going to continue to spread . New homes/townhomes are being built and area homeowners are rehabbing and upgrading existing properties , spending money with confidence on their investment.

By 2005 Comiskey/ US Cellular Field will have a completely new look and Bridgeport wont be to far behind

I've seen some of the new residences south of the park, and they are some pretty nice digs. Brownstone types that look old world, but of course, fully modern inside.

Lip Man 1
02-03-2003, 09:13 PM
I find this quote VERY interesting:

So we had to cut some corners and do some things we didn't want to do. Now this is going to enable us to do it and get it right."

Rich Lindberg, White Sox historian, told me in his interview for WSI (and this is on file) that the park came in under budget and that the Sox decided not to use the money saved improving things.

My questions would be why not and more importantly then WHERE did the money saved go? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

This quote sounds like Uncle Jerry is trying to pass the blame on somebody. HE made the decisions on the park, HE is responsible for the design selection and such according to the HOK archtects.

Lip

maurice
02-04-2003, 12:00 PM
He mentioned that talk of a "entertainment zone" has come up, with restaraunts and night clubs in the mix.

Wrigley's primary advantage is that the park is surrounded by places to go before and after the game. To get a drink before or after a Sox game, you have to walk two to six blocks, since "the Cell" is surrounded by giant parking lots. IIRC, this was JR's plan, to eliminate the competition. It looks like he may have come to realize that his original conception was a mistake.

They should build a strip of storefronts along 35th Street in the parking lots between Wentworth and Normal. While it would eliminate a handful of parking spaces, it would give the area immediately surrounding the park a much less sterile feeling. It also could spark commercial development on 35th Street between State and Halsted akin to the relatively recent development of North Ave. between Ashland and Halsted.

On a related note, Bridgeport probably has the best new housing stock in the city, and it's only getting better.

soxnut
02-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Hey Maurice......I totatlly agree with you. I have been keeping an eye on the neighborhood, in Bridgeport and the new Stateway Gardens project. This area is going to be an up and comer very soon.

I've seen the new Bridgeport Village development, the Union Lofts as well as the new Stateway Gardens plans by Skidmore Owings and Merril. Putting some storefronts on Wentworth would be a great idea. As for parking being eliminated, they actually could build a parking gagrage--of course I'd like the garage to look more like a free standing building than a praking garage. The whole thing is very doable!! :smile:

hose
02-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Hey Maurice......I totatlly agree with you. I have been keeping an eye on the neighborhood, in Bridgeport and the new Stateway Gardens project. This area is going to be an up and comer very soon.

I've seen the new Bridgeport Village development, the Union Lofts as well as the new Stateway Gardens plans by Skidmore Owings and Merril. Putting some storefronts on Wentworth would be a great idea. As for parking being eliminated, they actually could build a parking gagrage--of course I'd like the garage to look more like a free standing building than a praking garage. The whole thing is very doable!! :smile:

What do you know about the plans for Staeway Gardens?

Do you also know what the long term plans for area that is now the Robert Taylor Homes?

hose
02-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Wrigley's primary advantage is that the park is surrounded by places to go before and after the game. To get a drink before or after a Sox game, you have to walk two to six blocks, since "the Cell" is surrounded by giant parking lots. IIRC, this was JR's plan, to eliminate the competition. It looks like he may have come to realize that his original conception was a mistake.

They should build a strip of storefronts along 35th Street in the parking lots between Wentworth and Normal. While it would eliminate a handful of parking spaces, it would give the area immediately surrounding the park a much less sterile feeling. It also could spark commercial development on 35th Street between State and Halsted akin to the relatively recent development of North Ave. between Ashland and Halsted.

On a related note, Bridgeport probably has the best new housing stock in the city, and it's only getting better.

Isn't the old Maxwell St area being developed ?

FarmerAndy
02-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I'd like to see somebody buy and renovate the old Ramova Theatre on Halsted, just 1/2 block south of 35th. Turn it into a live music venue.

I'd say that the Metro is probably the second biggest (and the only worthwhile) attraction in Wrigleyville. It would be really cool to have something like that close to the park in Bridgeport.

Foulke You
02-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I find this quote VERY interesting:

So we had to cut some corners and do some things we didn't want to do. Now this is going to enable us to do it and get it right."

Rich Lindberg, White Sox historian, told me in his interview for WSI (and this is on file) that the park came in under budget and that the Sox decided not to use the money saved improving things.

My questions would be why not and more importantly then WHERE did the money saved go? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

This quote sounds like Uncle Jerry is trying to pass the blame on somebody. HE made the decisions on the park, HE is responsible for the design selection and such according to the HOK archtects.

Lip

I noticed that little blurb from Reinsdorf as well. I think it is more amazing that he is actually owning up to the fact that the park isn't what it could've been. Remember in the mid to late '90s when he staunchly stood behind his park design? Only in 2001 did he start to acknowledge some of the problems like the outfield "moat" and the bullpens being buried so you couldn't see who was warming up.

jcw218
02-05-2003, 02:33 AM
Yes, the park does need more character. I, however, wish that we could have had Armour Field insread of the ballmall in the first place.

Check out this link for more information on what I am talking about.
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/FixComiskey/Bess/Conversation1.htm

maurice
02-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Isn't the old Maxwell St area being developed?

Yes. The development is pouring over south down Halsted into Pilsen. Soon Halsted itself will be repaved and "beautified" from Greektown / UIC to Archer Ave. / Bridgeport.

As another poster pointed out, the development from the South Loop and McCormick Place south down Michigan Ave., Indiana Ave., etc. towards Bronzeville is also quite impressive.

These areas are definitely worth a look. You'd be amazed.

Blueprint1
02-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Yes about a year ago my parents bought a loft there in the south loop. It is already a great area to live in. The Mayor lives just down the block. I think Daily really wants to bring back that area and into his old neighborhood