PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Cellular Field

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Do you approve of the White Sox selling the naming rights of Comiskey Park to U.S. Cellular?

Cheryl
02-03-2003, 02:16 PM
I have no problem whatsoever with changing the name. Here's my reasons:

Comiskey Park is gone. I wished from the start they'd named the new one something else. I rarely ever call it Comiskey, and I doubt I ever call it by it's corporate sponsor's name--whichever phone company that is. Maybe if I had one of their phones, I'd remember, but I know it's not MLife Park. Bonus points for getting money to do some renovations. Also, the moron from the Sun Times and some ******* from the Trib (again, I don't know his name--if he were important I would, but I don't) don't like it. It has to be a good thing if the moron says it isn't.

Bobby Thigpen
02-03-2003, 02:37 PM
As long as the money made by the naming goes to improve the park, I'm A OK. I'm positively giddy at the possibility of Comiskey (I'll still always call it Comiskey) looking like the early renovation photos that were up last year. Sox baseball, grilled onions, and a beautiful parK? Can't get much better than that.

Paxson93
02-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Why a yuppie cell phone company? :?:

The ballpark now has the worst name in the game. And the upper deck will probably still suck, and still be empty.

hold2dibber
02-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Paxson93

The ballpark now has the worst name in the game. And the upper deck will probably still suck, and still be empty.

All of the corporate named ballparks have crappy names - I don't think U.S. Cellular Field is any worse than Petco Park or Comerica Park. Rumor has it that the upper deck will be renovated and improved. I, however, never understood all the clamor about the upper deck anyway. The UD seats in the first 10 rows are fine, and if you're in the section right behind home plate or on either side of that section, they're pretty good seats all the way up to the last row. That leaves maybe 5,000 seats in the entire park that aren't so good and about 40,000 that are.

Bobby Thigpen
02-03-2003, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't say it's the worst named stadium in baseball. Isn't San Diego's new park named after PetSmart or something?

Bobby Thigpen
02-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I see that I was beat to the punch over San Diego's park. I would agree that there is nothing wrong with the upper deck. It may be a little high, but so is every new park with unobstructed sight lines. I've even sat in the top row behind one of the foul poles for a playoff game and didn't think that the seats were that bad.

voodoochile
02-03-2003, 03:06 PM

Welcome aboard :D:

I don't understand the problem with the name. There money is green and they wanted to give it to the Sox. Good enough for me...

Paxson93
02-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I do appreciate the fact that they are going to try to make some inprovements. Hopefully they won't screw up. I don't see much problem with the upper deck (I think I've only had to sit there twice since the park opened anyway. Behind homeplate is actually pretty nice). I know some older Sox fans who find it difficult to manage though.

I suppose the name really doesn't matter since everyone's going to call it Comiskey anyways.

Frankly, rather than the upper deck, I think they should pour the money it to some 'people skills' classess for the Andy Frains. They can be real jerks.

Cheryl
02-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey--it could be Minute Maid Field. And your alternative if you didn't want to call it by its new name would be Enron.

MarkEdward
02-03-2003, 03:29 PM
It doesn't bother me. Most of the fans are still going to call it Sox Park or Comiskey anyway.

BeerHandle
02-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Frankly, who cares about a name in the midst of every other Park being sponsored by a Corporation? The key will be what will they do with the money to improve the park. They have done some good things in the last few years, but it is time to chop off the top 12 rows in the upper deck!!!

The South Side Will Rise Again!

alohafri
02-03-2003, 03:35 PM
(From Mrs. Aloha)

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

To me, it will always be Sox Park.

hold2dibber
02-03-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Frankly, who cares about a name in the midst of every other Park being sponsored by a Corporation? The key will be what will they do with the money to improve the park. They have done some good things in the last few years, but it is time to chop off the top 12 rows in the upper deck!!!

The South Side Will Rise Again!

What good will chopping off the last 12 rows of the UD do? I've heard that that's in the works, but I don't get it. Why waste money removing seats that people rarely sit in anyway. It seems to me that $ would be better spent making improvements elsewhere.

HawkDJ
02-03-2003, 04:08 PM
If its all going into renovation money it works for me. Most people will still call it Comiskey, they promise a "drastic" and "overwhelming" change to the park and no increased taxes.

RichH55
02-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Someone earlier said I must be kidding when I approved of the name change.....alot of kidders out there I guess

TheBigHurt
02-03-2003, 06:36 PM
as fans how can we disapprove the new name

WhiteSoxWinner
02-03-2003, 10:47 PM

...and it will rain every home game, and Frank will keep whining, and Colon will break his arm in first start, and an earthquake will swallow the old home plate, Uncle Jerry will win the Lotto and not drop a dime on the team...

Blah, blah, blah. Come on. Anything we can do to try to spice up the park is fine. It is going to ake money aand if it means selling the name, then so be it. Could have been worse. Remember when Yahoo was rumored to be interested? Can you just think of the all the dumb Yahoo things we would have to put up with, besides the lame "YaaaahhhhooooOOOO" after home run replays?

IlliniBob72
02-04-2003, 12:27 PM
I, too, don't see what the big deal is about renaming the place. Like people have said, the old place was Comiskey. This place was just New Comiskey. And the idea some goof had about boycotting U.S. Cellular is ludicrous.

The question is, what is the place going to be called? General Motors Place in Vancouver is "The Garage". BankOne Ballpark is "The Bob". We can't call the place U.S. Cellular Field. How about "The Phonebooth"? Or just Sox Park? :smile:

hsnterprize
02-05-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
As long as the money made by the naming goes to improve the park, I'm A OK. I'm positively giddy at the possibility of Comiskey (I'll still always call it Comiskey) looking like the early renovation photos that were up last year. Sox baseball, grilled onions, and a beautiful parK? Can't get much better than that.

I second that motion. I'm excited that we as White Sox fans are finally going to have a ballpark we can be proud of. And if these deals go well like we hope, the Sox will have to change the name again...this time to, "U.S. Cellular FIeld-Home of the 2003 World Series Champions, the Chicago White Sox."

nlentz88
02-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Oooo! Do I get a free Sox floppy hat when I sign up for a cell phone at the booth on the concourse now?

Anyway, if anyone is interested, check out this link:

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

ESPN.com lists stadium naming rights, the ammount paid per year, etc.

From the looks of things, the Sox got a fair deal with the $68 million over 23 years (almost $3 million per year). Just about the middle of the pack. Some teams get far less. The poor Jacksonville Jaguars get only $620,000 a year to play in Alltell Stadium. On the other hand the Houston Texans get $10 million PER YEAR for the right to have their stadium called Reliant Stadium.

Cheryl
02-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nlentz88
Oooo! Do I get a free Sox floppy hat when I sign up for a cell phone at the booth on the concourse now?

I was thninking new White Sox faceplate for my Nokia.