PDA

View Full Version : Walt Alston, the RAT FINK!

PaleHoseGeorge
02-03-2003, 01:57 PM
The new Jim Landis interview on the main page (nice job, Mark!) had one very intriguing detail I've never heard before:

Johnny Podres admits he was instructed to throw at Jim Landis during the 1959 World Series!

Dodger manager Walt Alston has this warm fuzzy public image. The old fart managed forever and even took naps on the bench during games. Tommy Lasorda never fails to talk about what a great guy he was, too. You know, "Dodger Blue" and all that crap...

Now I find out he's aiming at guys' heads! Mind you, Landis was hit square on the helmet. Only a few years earlier, guys went to the plate wearing nothing but their caps. None of those early helmets had ear flaps either, including the one Landis was wearing that day. Aiming high and tight was taking a far greater chance at causing serious, even life-threatening, consequences back in the 1950's.

Screw Walt Alston and that squeaky-clean image the Dodgers under O'Malley always tried to project!

:reinsy
"Tell it on the mountain top, PHG! O'Malley was a jerk, too! The Dodgers never should have been allowed to leave Brooklyn!" :angry:

SI1020
02-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
The new Jim Landis interview on the main page (nice job, Mark!) had one very intriguing detail I've never heard before:

Johnny Podres admits he was instructed to throw at Jim Landis during the 1959 World Series!

Dodger manager Walt Alston has this warm fuzzy public image. The old fart managed forever and even took naps on the bench during games. Tommy Lasorda never fails to talk about what a great guy he was, too. You know, "Dodger Blue" and all that crap...

Now I find out he's aiming at guys' heads! Mind you, Landis was hit square on the helmet. Only a few years earlier, guys went to the plate wearing nothing but their caps. None of those early helmets had ear flaps either, including the one Landis was wearing that day. Aiming high and tight was taking a far greater chance at causing serious, even life-threatening, consequences back in the 1950's.

Screw Walt Alston and that squeaky-clean image the Dodgers under O'Malley always tried to project!

:reinsy
"Tell it on the mountain top, PHG! O'Malley was a jerk, too! The Dodgers never should have been allowed to leave Brooklyn!" :angry: I was floored by that revelation. Once again congratulations to your writers in general, and in this case Lip in particular. You just don't see these kind of historical anecdotes very often anywhere, and it's a big reason I look forward to the interviews. Regarding the incident in question, the Dodgers had the 6th game and with it the series in hand when Landis was hit. There was no reason for this. This piece revives all these memories once again for me. It was so long ago but it seems like yesterday . Never, in my wildest imagination did I think I'd still be waiting for another WS appearance for my favorite team. I also took note of Landis' comments about the Sox trading most of their young prospects after the 59 season. The players may have correctly questioned the wisdom of the trades but IIRC the Sox got a lot of positive press in the off season for those deals and were picked to win the AL again by many writers. Lastly, for those posters here too young to remember, and I imagine its the vast majority, Landis really was a great defensive center fielder. Oh, before I forget it was great to see Floyd Robinson get a mention, he was one of my boyhood favorites. Why did he flame out too soon? Perhaps Lip or someone else can write about him some day.

soxrme
02-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Koufax, Drysdale, Podres, all known for not letting players crowd the plate. That was how baseball was played then. Find out how many times Minnie was hit in his career, just part of the game then. We had a guy named Early Wynn who said he would throw at his mother if she crowded the plate.

Bisco Stu
02-03-2003, 10:47 PM
When (not if) the Sox play in the World Series again, their order of preferred opponents should be:

1. Cubs (We dust them every century)

2. Reds (exorcise those demons)

3. Dodgers (the only real team who beat us in a WS)

gogosoxgogo
02-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
When (not if) the Sox play in the World Series again, their order of preferred opponents should be:

1. Cubs (We dust them every century)

2. Reds (exorcise those demons)

3. Dodgers (the only real team who beat us in a WS)

The only problem with #1 is that the media would go insane with the Cubs winning the pennant, the Sox would get less media coverage despite beating them and winning the World Series.

soxrme
02-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I never want to play the cubs in a world series. I am very happy with them finishing lower than the Sox every year. The media would be unbearable in Sept if the cubs were ever in first place. Let them rot in the lower half of their division forever!!