PDA

View Full Version : Does the media underappreciate Mágglio Ordóńez?

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 10:38 AM
This is an interesting issue. I believe that Ordóńez is underappreciated in this town, and a lot of that is due in large part to who the other side of town's right fielder is. However, I also believe Mágglio himself contributes to this somewhat with his quiet personality. That is not a criticism of him, but I think that causes him to drop off the narrow-minded media's radar screen.

gogosoxgogo
02-03-2003, 10:47 AM
Absoltely, I had a thread on this a while back. Maggs definately goes un-noticed some times, but I don't think he really cares all too much. Maggs is a quiet guy who likes to be left alone, IMO. He's kind of shy, so that is a major factor. Sosa of course is the biggest of these influences and the Tribune would also be a contribution. But hey, so long as he can put up his stellar numbers, I'm happy.

WinningUgly!
02-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This is an interesting issue. I believe that Ordóńez is underappreciated in this town, and a lot of that is due in large part to who the other side of town's right fielder is. However, I also believe Mágglio himself contributes to this somewhat with his quiet personality. That is not a criticism of him, but I think that causes him to drop off the narrow-minded media's radar screen.

Locally he is very under-appreciated, since he doesn't play on the north side. I think nationally, he gets noticed a little bit more. Hell, even Peter Gammons referred to him as "annual MVP candidate Magglio Ordonez" in his last column.

ma-gaga
02-03-2003, 11:30 AM
I agree completely... Baseball enthusiasts apreciate him, but he just doesn't have the 'Q factor' so important these days for proper 'respect'. It seems like he's content to play the game and not make the story about what he says...

Nothing wrong with that. He's probably the most unrecognized, unappreciatted all-star. But hey, if it keeps Reinsy's payroll down, good for him.

Wonder if the W.Sox specifically target players like Mags.

jortafan
02-03-2003, 11:41 AM
It also doesn't help Magglio that he's on the same team with Frank Thomas, who will always be the focus of attention (much of it bad) with his struggles to come back to top form. Paul Konerko also will draw attention away from Ordonez, just because he's so much more outspoken.

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Wonder if the W.Sox specifically target players like Mags [sic].

He fits the profile: all star player, link to Latino community, charitable, family man with wife and children, doesn't get in trouble with the law, very careful never to make controversial statements to media, fan friendly, etc.