PDA

View Full Version : more twinkie talk

jeremyb1
02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
someone posted this on the twins mlb message board. i don't have the link but you can find more of the article here (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-twins&msg=5409.46&ctx=0) if you're interested. this is the important part though.

And if that's not a strong enough memory to ignite the mental engines as the season opens, Chicago's newest closer, former Oakland closer Billy Koch who took a ninth-inning beating from the Twins in the decisive game of their playoff series last fall gave the Twins something else to chew on.

The day his signing was announced in December, Koch dismissed the Twins' success as luck and said he couldn't imagine them repeating it.

His remarks were similar to those of former White Sox second baseman Ray Durham a year earlier before the Twins proceeded to outpace the Sox by 13 games in the division.

"We think we'll be competitive," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We know the White Sox are out there chirping and talking. Everybody the White Sox sign it's in their contract that they have to say the Twins s.uck."

"What are you going to do?" said Pierzynski, whose demonstrative style on the field has drawn personal criticism from opponents such as Koch. "We're not going to get in a war of words. That's just what they do.

"Does it get old? Must not they keep doing it."

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 06:23 PM
I have to side with the twinkies there, i hope we can do more than just talk this season.

jeremyb1
02-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
I have to side with the twinkies there, i hope we can do more than just talk this season.

i think that gardenhire was rather forceful with his words there. talking trash about how much a team talks trash is still talking trash if you ask me. also, there's the simple fact that his statements are more or less completely untrue. colon hasn't said anything about the twins in the press and neither have any of the other players we've acquired over the season. a number of our players have publicly called the twins the favorite and koch's statements consitute the only trash talking since we last played the twins.

RKMeibalane
02-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i think that gardenhire was rather forceful with his words there. talking trash about how much a team talks trash is still talking trash if you ask me. also, there's the simple fact that his statements are more or less completely untrue. colon hasn't said anything about the twins in the press and neither have any of the other players we've acquired over the season. a number of our players have publicly called the twins the favorite and koch's statements consitute the only trash talking since we last played the twins.

That true. And from I've read recently, it looks as though the Twins are the ones doing most of the talking. Koch was the only player to say anything negative about Minnesota. Everyone else has kept quiet.