PDA

View Full Version : Borchard the next Berkman?

SoxxoS
02-02-2003, 11:48 AM
I think he is headed North after Spring Training. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030201rogers,1,2948291.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhea dlines)

With Rowand not being ready, as long as Borchard doesn't really suck up the joint, I think he is our starting CF. We are not going to start Willie Harris there. The guy can't hit and he can't throw. At least he hasn't proved either, yet.

hose
02-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I think he is headed North after Spring Training. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030201rogers,1,2948291.column?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhea dlines)

With Rowand not being ready, as long as Borchard doesn't really suck up the joint, I think he is our starting CF. We are not going to start Willie Harris there. The guy can't hit and he can't throw. At least he hasn't proved either, yet.

At one of the seminars today at Sox Fest Kenny Williams was asked where Joe Borchard will be starting the season and Kenny's response was Charlotte.

Williams mentioned that Joe only had 300 or something minor league at bats and that he wasn't ready to face big league pitching yet.

SoxxoS
02-02-2003, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info Hose.

I have this strange feeling that we are going to see Borchard before the end of the first month. I hope not, but I don't think Rowand will be ready, and Harris doesn't have the arm nor the bat for the job. Who are we left with- Rios or Daubach? I think we may have to bring him up by default.

hose
02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Thanks for the info Hose.

I have this strange feeling that we are going to see Borchard before the end of the first month. I hope not, but I don't think Rowand will be ready, and Harris doesn't have the arm nor the bat for the job. Who are we left with- Rios or Daubach? I think we may have to bring him up by default.

I think Joe will be playing at USC Field before the Sept call up and will be a big help to the team.

Williams also mentioned that in the first 55 games between Colon and Buehrle that they will get 28 starts and the 5th man will only get 8.

Expect plenty of competion for the 5th spot. Rauch is by no means a lock, spring training will determine who gets the spot

duke of dorwood
02-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Its not gonna help Big Jon pitching twice the first month.

duke of dorwood
02-02-2003, 06:47 PM
If we learned anything from Crede, they will not bring up Joe until they have to. Thats their M.O.

gogosoxgogo
02-02-2003, 08:47 PM
I asked Joe at Soxfest whether he wanted to play center or corner. He told me he just wants to play.

After seeing him in person, I'm much more sold on him than before. He looks so incredibly athletic. His arms are huge. I have a photo of Mickey Mantle right next to my computer, and Borchard's arms are almost twice the size. That guy is going to be great.

Lip Man 1
02-02-2003, 09:00 PM
You mean he's going to be better then Scott Ruffcorn, Mike Caruso or Lorenzo Barcelo? That's umpossible!

Lip

jeremyb1
02-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
You mean he's going to be better then Scott Ruffcorn, Mike Caruso or Lorenzo Barcelo? That's umpossible!

Lip

i hope he's not another worthless sox prospect like frank thomas, robin ventura, jack mcdowell, mark buehrle, and magglio ordonez were.

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Even if he has a great spring I think he should be sent down. The Cubs have always played this game brilliantly. You keep a prospect who had a great spring, in the minors for a month or two. Let them really perform and get a June call up. That way the player can still have an impact on your team while the club effectively extends the FA period another season.