PDA

View Full Version : Home Run Porch

MRKARNO
02-02-2003, 12:22 PM
I am not entirely sure what a homerun porch is. It it a section of the outfield extended beyond the foul post so that a home run ball could reach there?

If that's all it is, how often do you really think a ball would reach there? Most sox homeruns land about 1/4th of the way into the middle of the outfield seats or right around the fence(From what I usually see). I don't think I have seen many that would reach an outfield upper deck. Could someone provide me an example of one? WOuld Coors Field right outfield upper deck be an example of one? Thanks all.

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-02-2003, 01:18 PM
here is rangers park hr porch (the thing w/ the scoreboard on top)

VeeckAsInWreck
02-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Scotty or anyone else here,

Would you know if there are obstructed view seats with a homerun porch? Or is that no longer a problem in this day and age?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Scotty or anyone else here,

Would you know if there are obstructed view seats with a homerun porch? Or is that no longer a problem in this day and age?

If the upper deck is constructed like those from the early-20th century (like Old Comiskey and Tiger Stadium), the posts supporting the upper deck will obstruct the view of lower deck seats behind the posts. Terraced upper decks (like New Comiskey) sit behind the lower deck and thus have no posts.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Just to clarify a bit regarding the term "homerun porch"...

The most famous homerun porch in baseball belongs to Old Yankee Stadium. The Yanks were notorious for pulling 205-foot shots into the seats immediately to the left of the short, right field foul pole. All of the great Yankee hitters of the past were left-handed to take full-advantage of the short right field corner. Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's record doing exactly this.

There was a lot of complaining among baseball fans about the Yankees' unfair advantage of having a "homerun porch" in right field. In fact, good ol' Charley Finley took the complaints to their logical conclusion. He created a short 205' foul line in right field at Kansas City's old Municipal Stadium. He even put a tiny set of bleachers behind the tiny little fence so he could claim the porch was necessary to add extra seating capacity for his A's. Naturally commissioner Ford Frick* (he of infamous asterisks) made Finley take it down.

Today, most fans seem to think a homerun porch refers to an extra level of seats in the outfield. This simply isn't so. If anything, what they're pining for is a classically proportioned upper deck, like Old Comiskey's or Tiger Stadium's. Those WERE NOT homerun porches. The Yankees had the homerun porch--and that is something very different.

soxnut
02-02-2003, 08:02 PM
A few years ago I asked Rob Gallas about the home run porch. He said it would be similiar to what Texas has. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
A few years ago I asked Rob Gallas about the home run porch. He said it would be similiar to what Texas has. :smile:

It figures that genius wouldn't know what he is talking about.

:)

mrwag
02-02-2003, 10:05 PM
You guys can call it what you want, but I think it kicks a$$.