PDA

View Full Version : An unbelieveable thing I found about Koch

SoxxoS
02-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Billy Koch allowed 34 earned runs last year...fine. Here is the unbelieveable statistic about that though-

Of those 34 runs, 24 came against 2 teams-Toronto and the Rangers. So if you calculate that out, that is a 1.15 ERA against the rest of the league :D:

Here is the link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6218)

I found that to be very intresting, in a good way, of course.

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Billy Koch allowed 34 earned runs last year...fine. Here is the unbelieveable statistic about that though-

Of those 34 runs, 24 came against 2 teams-Toronto and the Rangers. So if you calculate that out, that is a 1.15 ERA against the rest of the league :D:

HMMMM so against the GOOD teams, he is unhittable. Gee, like some of us have said, Thank God we have a REAL closer now.

pudge
02-02-2003, 02:12 AM
Weird - if that doesn't have "tipping pitches" written all over it, I don't know what does. Think those teams somehow knew what was coming??

RichH55
02-02-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Weird - if that doesn't have "tipping pitches" written all over it, I don't know what does. Think those teams somehow knew what was coming??

Well the Toronto thing I can understand...it was his old team...they are likely to know his stuff and tendecies better than other teams

hose
02-02-2003, 06:19 AM

That is very interesting on Koch, I wonder if that has been the case in his career.

For the up coming season, Billy mentioned that he may expand on some of the type of pitches he throws in game situations. The end result could be a fastball that looks EVEN faster to the hitter...YES.

Sandy Alomar jr. was on air with Dave Wills yesterday and Sandy commented on Bartolo Colon saying how he matured from his Cleveland days.

Alomar said that Colon would just rear back and try and blow people away, but now he mixes in pitches.

When asked about his strike out total being down this past season Alomar said that his wins went up but his strike outs went down adding that Colon won 20 games, 10 in each league which is incredible in itself.

Sandy believes that the lower strike outs are proof of how much more dominating Colon has become. Colon has put so much fear of a strike out in the batters mind that the batter swings very early in the count, which resulted in a lot of easy outs .

VeeckAsInWreck
02-02-2003, 06:46 AM
Dammit!

Reading this thread makes it difficult to not get excited about this year's team.
Our closer struggles against 2 teams we rarely see and our #1 starter (my opinion guys!) is having hitters getting themselves out!

How much longer until opening day?

We should have a countdown on this site!

34rancher
02-02-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by hose
When asked about his strike out total being down this past season Alomar said that his wins went up but his strike outs went down adding that Colon won 20 games, 10 in each league which is incredible in itself.

Maybe someone could explain this to the media and to cub fans. Interesting how they always point out how awesome the cubs pitchers strike out totals are. To that I point out how amazing it is that none of their pitchers that are starting this year have ever won more than 14 games in a season except for sirotka or estes (two strikeout monsters :?: ).

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well the Toronto thing I can understand...it was his old team...they are likely to know his stuff and tendecies better than other teams

He also faced Texas 10 times last year which is a lot for a closer, so there is a chance they just got used to seeing him...

kermittheefrog
02-02-2003, 05:18 PM
It's not like we'll ever need to beat Texas or Toronto...

SoxxoS
02-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It's not like we'll ever need to beat Texas or Toronto...

I don't know about that Kermit-well take any win we can get. Hopefully, facing those 2 pitching staffs, we are winning by a margin by which we don't need Koch... :D:

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 06:13 PM
I don't know about that Kermit-well take any win we can get. Hopefully, facing those 2 pitching staffs, we are winning by a margin by which we don't need Koch... :D:

I think he meant in a big game and or the playoffs.

SoxxoS
02-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh, yeah. My fault. Reading the board and watching the pro bowl...

OEO Magglio
02-02-2003, 09:39 PM
We should have a countdown on this site!

Me and my friend have a countdown to Spring Training only 26 more days until the games start, CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!

ma-gaga
02-02-2003, 11:18 PM
does that include playoffs?

:)

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Bartolo just took the advice of Crash Davis and threw more ground balls than strike outs. Strike outs are facist. Ground balls are democratic.