PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas


Bmr31
02-02-2003, 12:22 AM
can anyone give me some feedback on Frank? Was he at soxfest? Whats his current attitude and physical condition? Do you guys feel he will return to form this season? If the Sox have any chance to make the playoffs, we need to see the old Frank.......

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 12:56 AM
Hmm i just read he is still not speaking to the media. Not a good sign....... :?: :gulp:

doctor30th
02-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Or its a good sign. Him not talking to the media gives him less chance of saying something off beat and the media getting all bent out of shape about it.

I think it lets him focus on what he needs to do, rather than damage control from a statement he might say.

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Or its a good sign. Him not talking to the media gives him less chance of saying something off beat and the media getting all bent out of shape about it.

I think it lets him focus on what he needs to do, rather than damage control from a statement he might say.

i HOPE so. I just know Frank needs to return to form...

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Or its a good sign. Him not talking to the media gives him less chance of saying something off beat and the media getting all bent out of shape about it.

I think it lets him focus on what he needs to do, rather than damage control from a statement he might say.

I think it is both and that is just fine. If Frank isn't saying anything than he can't get himself upset by feeling he has been misinterpreted, misunderstood, etc.

I hope the whole team adopts a bunker mentality like they had in 2000 when they came out to prove something and fought so hard so early they ran away with the division by late June.

No, I don't want them all to ignore the media (we definitely need all the positive pub we can generate), but the teams first and only goal should be to play baseball as well as they can and let the chips fall where they may...

HawkDJ
02-02-2003, 01:39 AM
He was definitly at Soxfest because I waited 2.5 hours for his autograph.

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think it is both and that is just fine. If Frank isn't saying anything than he can't get himself upset by feeling he has been misinterpreted, misunderstood, etc.

I hope the whole team adopts a bunker mentality like they had in 2000 when they came out to prove something and fought so hard so early they ran away with the division by late June.

No, I don't want them all to ignore the media (we definitely need all the positive pub we can generate), but the teams first and only goal should be to play baseball as well as they can and let the chips fall where they may...

Reading your post, i thought of a good point. If the sox want their attendance to increase, shouldnt their "stars" communicate through the media?

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
He was definitly at Soxfest because I waited 2.5 hours for his autograph.

What was he like?

MaggPipes
02-02-2003, 01:58 AM
did he look like he was in good shape?

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
did he look like he was in good shape?

Man i hope so. IF we get the Frank of old, we are a dangerous team.

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Reading your post, i thought of a good point. If the sox want their attendance to increase, shouldnt their "stars" communicate through the media?

Yes, and I said as much in my third paragraph. Still, Frank's luck with the media is horrible. He constantly gets ripped and ends up getting upset and saying something stupid. In his case, it works better for him to ****.

The rest of the stars should talk to the media, but like I said, they should concentrate on playing baseball and watch the fans come out to watch a winner.

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yes, and I said as much in my third paragraph. Still, Frank's luck with the media is horrible. He constantly gets ripped and ends up getting upset and saying something stupid. In his case, it works better for him to ****.

The rest of the stars should talk to the media, but like I said, they should concentrate on playing baseball and watch the fans come out to watch a winner.

I wouldnt say it was "bad luck". Frank has been known to be a self centered prick.

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
I wouldnt say it was "bad luck". Frank has been known to be a self centered prick.

Yeah, but Frank could express remourse about the Columbia disaster and some wag in the media would write that Frank blames his hitting woes on NASA...

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, but Frank could express remourse about the Columbia disaster and some wag in the media would write that Frank blames his hitting woes on NASA...

LOL ahhhhh but they're justified in bashing poor Vince? :)

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
LOL ahhhhh but they're justified in bashing poor Vince? :)

Sure, just so long as it isn't 24/7/52 the way it has become with Frank...

WhiteSox = Life
02-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Last time a major sports player stopped talking to the media, his team won the Super Bowl.

Let's hope Frank Thomas not talking to the media will keep his fire lit the whole season, and that he leads the way for the White Sox winning the World Series.

:smile:

harwar
02-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Reading your post, i thought of a good point. If the sox want their attendance to increase, shouldnt their "stars" communicate through the media?

It seems to me that the Chicago"cub biased" media just baits Frank every time they talk to him.I mean,they want to make him angry and say stupid things because it gives them something to write about and cause trouble for the White Sox.I think Big Frank is doing exactly the right thing in not talking till spring training.Most of those writers are scum anyway and just want to hurt the BIG HURT.

RKMeibalane
02-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Agreed. I'm sure Jay Mariotti and others are just waiting for Frank to open his mouth. The less he says to anyone about the upcoming season, the better. Frank should leave all of the stupid comments and inappropriate remarks to Sammy Sosa.

Bmr31
02-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Agreed. I'm sure Jay Mariotti and others are just waiting for Frank to open his mouth. The less he says to anyone about the upcoming season, the better. Frank should leave all of the stupid comments and inappropriate remarks to Sammy Sosa. \

So how long is the Big Flop gonna stay mute? :D:

hose
02-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
can anyone give me some feedback on Frank? Was he at soxfest? Whats his current attitude and physical condition? Do you guys feel he will return to form this season? If the Sox have any chance to make the playoffs, we need to see the old Frank.......


I was standing in a line to buy tickets for food and there was a guy in front of me that could have passed as Bob Marley's brother with his little boy.

Frank Thomas comes walking past and the little kid points to him, Hurt stops, smiles and bends over and pats the kid on the head.

This was around 12:20 or so and it looked like Frank was on his way out.

Very out going , all smiles .



Now the ESPN girls at the radio booth........woo hoo!!!!

RKMeibalane
02-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
\

So how long is the Big Flop gonna stay mute? :D:

He said that he would talk once Spring Training started.

Rocklive99
02-02-2003, 07:41 PM
I also got his auto. Very nice guy, took every picture and signed all of his 700 autos without any complaint, and was very nice about it. I thought he looked in great shape. I guess he's nice, but just not to the media (I cant blame him ;) )

mike squires
02-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Frank looked to be in pretty good shape. Not the slendre but big Frank in the early 90's but looked good. Frank was very casual wearing gray, jogging suit. I asked Frank if he'd been workingout with Walt and he said..."Yeeees, kind of made it sound like he did but didn't really want to." I asked him, "geez, Walt is geting up there isn't he, he said..."****, he's getting up there." Luckily I got his autograph within the first 30 minutes but he signs for 4 hours plus Sunday. Was listening to Bruce Levin and he said he had no problem with Frank not talking to the medai and said it was his problem not Frank's.

gogosoxgogo
02-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Frank was great at Soxfest. He was very friendly. Chatting, shaking hands, smiling, laughing. He was very great with the young fans. I found it so amazing how he had such great humor through every single fan. Regarding how he looked, he appeared fine to me. Nothing special, certainly not slimer, but maybe a little more muscular. I did ask him how his training was going, and he said fine.

Regarding the media, I watched all the news coverage's on Saturday night to see if they would have any Soxfest coverage (2 didn't :angry: ), and those that did only showed Frank's comments as he was leaving of how he didn't want to talk to the media. Typical.

HawkDJ
02-02-2003, 11:32 PM
Yeah he took EVERY picture and I was probably number 750 out of 800 on Saturday and he was still smiling and laughing by the time I got up there. I mean he had been signing for almost 3 hours at this point.

FarWestChicago
02-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Those of you who missed the chat with The Grobber will see he had some nice things to say about Frank based on personal experience. I sent the transcript to George. He has to make it presentable for a web page. :smile:

thecell
02-03-2003, 02:28 PM
I saw Frank on Saturday, though it wasn't at SoxFest. He was at Gibson's Restaurant. He looked very happy. I wonder if it had anything to do with the 3 blondes he was with.