PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrissey You're Number One!

CuckTheFubs
02-01-2003, 11:21 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565201.jpg

I wish Comiskey were being renamed Verizon Wireless Park. Then we would have an obvious marketing tie-in:

Guy with cell phone: "Can you hear me now?"

Us: "Of course we can hear you. There's nobody in the damn park!"...

Then again, maybe people will call it The Cell, where a father and son from Alsip can feel right at home. Where a certain chairman can find peace and not have to face those pesky fans.

GRANDMA, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF RICK'S CLEVER LITTLE ARTICLE?

http://www.ooze.com/ooze13/images/finger/grandma.jpg

Lip Man 1
02-02-2003, 12:24 AM
in addition to the Cell reference (which was first posted here at WSI) Rick also talks about Eddie Einhorn pulling the Sox off of free TV and driving Harry Caray up North.

I have a sneaky feeling that Rick is a "lurker" at WSI!

Rick also asked a few question that I posted a few days ago namely why didn't Uncle Jerry announce this himself?

Quote: "But Reinsdorf was not at the media gathering. The announcement was left up to a Sox public-relations man who read the first two paragraphs of a press release and said the team wouldn't answer questions until a news conference Monday at U.S. Sell-Your-Soul Field.

One of the obvious questions Friday evening was: Why not announce the fabulous news about the renaming of Comiskey Park to all those loyal people at SoxFest, to the several generations of fans standing shoulder to shoulder there in the grand ballroom Friday?

The answer, of course, is that it would have gotten ugly. And it would have taken courage, a trait in short supply inside the owner with the fat cigar."

Rick also pegs Sox fans perfectly! (and I take this as a compliment...)

Fans proved a long time ago that when it comes to pro sports, they're weak. They keep coming back for more abuse. But Sox fans are different. They speak with their wallets. They don't trust this ownership, haven't for years. They don't come to the ballpark.

Also a few odds and ends that Rick has right on the money...

"And funny how these dollars rarely come out of the pocket of the chairman."

"But the beauty of all of this is that most people will continue to refer to the park as Comiskey, unless U.S. Sell-Your-Soul Field catches on. Habits don't change just because money was exchanged."

"Where a certain chairman can find peace and not have to face those pesky fans."

Pretty good column.

Lip

RichH55
02-02-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
in addition to the Cell reference (which was first posted here at WSI) Rick also talks about Eddie Einhorn pulling the Sox off of free TV and driving Harry Caray up North.

I have a sneaky feeling that Rick is a "lurker" at WSI!

Rick also asked a few question that I posted a few days ago namely why didn't Uncle Jerry announce this himself?

Quote: "But Reinsdorf was not at the media gathering. The announcement was left up to a Sox public-relations man who read the first two paragraphs of a press release and said the team wouldn't answer questions until a news conference Monday at U.S. Sell-Your-Soul Field.

One of the obvious questions Friday evening was: Why not announce the fabulous news about the renaming of Comiskey Park to all those loyal people at SoxFest, to the several generations of fans standing shoulder to shoulder there in the grand ballroom Friday?

The answer, of course, is that it would have gotten ugly. And it would have taken courage, a trait in short supply inside the owner with the fat cigar."

Rick also pegs Sox fans perfectly! (and I take this as a compliment...)

Fans proved a long time ago that when it comes to pro sports, they're weak. They keep coming back for more abuse. But Sox fans are different. They speak with their wallets. They don't trust this ownership, haven't for years. They don't come to the ballpark.

Also a few odds and ends that Rick has right on the money...

"And funny how these dollars rarely come out of the pocket of the chairman."

"But the beauty of all of this is that most people will continue to refer to the park as Comiskey, unless U.S. Sell-Your-Soul Field catches on. Habits don't change just because money was exchanged."

"Where a certain chairman can find peace and not have to face those pesky fans."

Pretty good column.

Lip

I think it would have been an interesting reaction....I for one would have cheered the anouncement

chisoxt
02-02-2003, 09:49 AM
No, Rick Morrissey, you're an idiot!

I don't get it! For years, people have been pissing and groaning about the design of New Comiskey. Now that the Sox have secure a PRIVATE funding source that will give them the opportunity to make substantial and significant design changes to the Park, someone has to place a negative spin on it!

Granted, the Sox better make good use of the money and improve the park's upper deck. Cosmetic chages such as brick veneer on columns andr fancy signs in the consession areas are fine but more drasric improvements are needed. That said. however, it amazes me how negatively the press spins everything the Sox do.

Also, a question for Rick Morrisey...if the Sox wanted to down play the naming rights thing, then why would they announce the deal at Sox Fest??

34rancher
02-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't a twist of irony be if the while the Sox were redoing the stadium, that something happened where they would not be able to use their stadium for a year (ala the bad news bears.), and they were forced to play at the urinal. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Sox went over there and set all kinds of offensive and attendance records, then won the world series? I know that it would suck having to go to the urinal to watch games, but to see the egg on all of the cub fans face would be a moment to treasure. It would also prove once and for all that there are more urinal fans than there are cub fans. Sorry, just a momentary lapse of reason.

Dan H
02-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think it would have been an interesting reaction....I for one would have cheered the anouncement

You have to be kidding.

RichH55
02-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
You have to be kidding.

Why? A.) Its personal opinion, so whats your problem
B) All the tradition with the name vanished with the first park
C) The name Cominsky was not exactly one that I hold up on a pedestal
D) Naming Rights means money is put into the Park with increases the quality of the park, and hopefully the quality of the team via increased attendence

And Im not kidding about any of these

34 Inch Stick
02-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Lip, I read the article as well and immediately thought of your most recent piece on WSI. Aren't you a little pissed that he didn't give you some sort of credit. I think you have every right to send out an angry e-mail to Morissey regarding the use of your intellectual property.

Rich, I'm with you. F-Comiskey and the fruit of his loin. They have no continuing presence in Chicago. In fact I do not recall any public benefit they have bestowed on this city other than letting Chicagoans make them wealthy by giving us the White Sox. Yet a publicly funded stadium should be named in their honor.

Thanks for low balling your employees and becoming a significant factor in the 1919 scandal Commy.