PDA

View Full Version : After Hours at the Fest...


voodoochile
02-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Well, I went down to the fest tonight. Not to actually attend, but to meet a few of the other posters from WSI. I went to the bar and after sitting by myself for about 1/2 hour, I decided to run the old WSI flag (or in this case t-shirt) up the pole...

Within 5 minutes of taking off my over shirt to display said t-shirt, I met Hanger18. Nice guy. He had just purchased his 1975 replica hat. I talked with him for a few minutes, and then continued through the bar (simply called "Big" - as in Big Bar (big drinks, long bar, etc.)) and got flagged down by WhiteSoxWilkes (another nice guy) he was there with his girlfriend and they were sitting with Steff and her husband, Jim. Later Hal Vikery showed up and Hanger18 came down to sit with us and we had a fine time.

In any case, the conversation varied from the new naming rights, to Royce Clayton to Steff's annual BBQ. It was a lot of fun. Very cool to put faces to the screen names I see so often.

In case anyone else wants to join in, they are meeting tomorrow night again, same place at 8:00. Don't know if I'll be there or not, but if anyone else wants to come join the after hours party, feel free...

whitesoxwilkes
02-01-2003, 01:19 AM
..and what a great time it was!

Cheers Voodoo! Here's to playoff baseball on the South Side!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

voodoochile
02-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
..and what a great time it was!

Cheers Voodoo! Here's to playoff baseball on the South Side!

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Indeed...

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Brian26
02-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Partied with Dotson for over a half an hour tonight at the bar. How cool! He had a ton of cool stories. Told me he just talked to Hoyt about two weeks ago. Great stories about his year and a half with the Yankees and Billy Martin. He talked about Martin being fired in '88 after an altercation at a strip club in Texas. Dotson even gave me a drink that Borchard had bought him, but Dotson didn't like (gin martini). I don't want to tell everything Dotson talked about because I feel he was talking to us in confidence and private. He seems like a great guy...fun guy to hang out with it.

RichH55
02-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Sure just taunt me with the stories....I wish I could have been there to get added the to story...."Then RichH55 showed up, what a prick"......good times for all.\

I hope someone has pictures though

whitesoxwilkes
02-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Sure just taunt me with the stories....I wish I could have been there to get added the to story...."Then RichH55 showed up, what a prick"......good times for all.\

I hope someone has pictures though

Actually, Hangar18 got a picture of me, Steff3603's husband Jim and Beltin' Bill Melton in the men's room at the Hyatt.

I have pictures as well that I'll post this coming week. I didn't have the digital with me and was snapping pics with a disposable, hope they turn out.

DrCrawdad
02-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Partied with Dotson for over a half an hour tonight at the bar. How cool! He had a ton of cool stories. Told me he just talked to Hoyt about two weeks ago. Great stories about his year and a half with the Yankees and Billy Martin....I don't want to tell everything Dotson talked about because I feel he was talking to us in confidence and private...

You tease!

steff
02-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Oh yes.. we had a great time for sure! So good that we passed on today's events (Jim caught my cold!!) I can't wait to see the pictures.

By the way.. does anyone know where I got the bruise on my knee??

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Brian26
02-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Hmm. What else did Dot have to say?

I asked him about Hawk and Drysdale and how much time the announcers spent in the lockerroom that year. He told me they were always down there. He went into the whole "Hawk drives Hemond/LaRussa/Duncan" out of town and appoints Don Drysdale as the "Head of Baseball Philosophy" for the organization.

He said he hated Fisk in the early 80's because he took too damn long in calling a game. Then, when he returned from the Yankees he really appreciated how good Fisk was and he loved him.

Borchard paid for a drink that I had, and I told Dot Joe can afford it with that five million dollar signing bonus. Dot laughed and said, "Is that how much he got? I only got $60,000 when I signed."

Dotson said Hoyt hadn't talked to him in 2 or 3 years, but he called out of the blue a couple of weeks ago. I asked Dot if any of the drug-stuff was going on before the trade with San Diego, and he said no. He roomed with Hoyt back then, and he said Hoyt was totally clean. Hoyt sounded like he was doing good lately though.

Dotson joked about how he came up from the minors in '79 after Disco Demolition, and the outfield grass was gone, but they had spray-painted the area green to try to cover it all up.

More to come as I think of it....
Hope this is enjoyable reading!

Hangar18
02-02-2003, 05:07 PM
heh heh. It was great meeting voodoo, wilkes, hal, steff
among others. Man, I ran into a lot of people, that ive
met at games, after games, before games etc etc. Yeah,
Steff, you got the bruise on the knee when we lifted you for
the picture, remember? i was drunk, so it just came to me heh heh. yeah, Was washing my hands in the bathroom when Wilkes and Jim walk in, were still talking Sox baseball, and Beltin' Bill Melton walks in.....perfect photo op. I'll get those up for everyone else to see. man, ive got some good ones, me with
Melton, Harold, Dot, Joltin' Joe Borchard, Rowand.
Melton was having a good old time, everyone had a few drinks in them, and how cool was that to just chat with old players like that huh? I had my nephew w me, and I showed him who Gene Honda was (the pa announcer at comisk..us cellular field)
and he didnt believe me...(other younger cousin thought it was a Machine!!!! ) i always say hello to him, hes a funny and personable guy (im a depaul alumnus, so hes at those games too)
and I got on the phone and played a practical joke on my buddy, having Gene talk to him on the phone, and making him guess who he was! TOTALLY HILARIOUS!!! my buddy really likes the way Gene announces the names, and says he always thinks of his announcing style as the way all announcers should sound, so
he laughed pretty good at the prank. excellent. I even took a picture with Uncle Jerry, even point blank asking him if he was going to use the new $$$$$ to make the changes to the park, that were "taken down" from a website, and he said "yeah, were going to do it". man,,,,,lot more cool stories....
Kittle and I took the toilet paper rolls, and we hurled them
down the hall later .......we ..................

whitesoxwilkes
02-02-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Oh yes.. we had a great time for sure! So good that we passed on today's events (Jim caught my cold!!) I can't wait to see the pictures.

By the way.. does anyone know where I got the bruise on my knee??

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

I'm thinking it was either when you reached across the table to smack me in the face or when you got up to leave and kinda turned into Jell-O... :gulp: :smile:

Hangar18
02-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Wilkes,,,,wait til see these pics! Almost cant
wait for next yrs SoxFest

steff
02-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I'm thinking it was either when you reached across the table to smack me in the face or when you got up to leave and kinda turned into Jell-O... :gulp: :smile:


Actually.. it turns out Jim and I had some trouble finding the car.. and I met the floor in the parking garage :D:

Gee.. I only had EIGHT Cosmo's!! Go figure.

mike squires
02-03-2003, 12:47 AM
Dot seemed like an awesome guy. I sure wish I could have had chats like that Brian. I just guess I never know when I'm other them or not. (kittle was nice too but he didn't seem to interested when I said something...oh well.

In case you didn't read my other post...

I talked to Dot about clinching it in 83 and he said..."WE clinched it in California right? I said No, you clinched it at Comiskey! He said oh yeah, we clinched at home didn't we."

I couldn't believe it. I look back on that night with so much nostalgia but yet Dot didn't even now he clinched it at home. :?:

Iwritecode
02-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Well, I went down to the fest tonight. Not to actually attend, but to meet a few of the other posters from WSI. I went to the bar and after sitting by myself for about 1/2 hour, I decided to run the old WSI flag (or in this case t-shirt) up the pole...

Well crap, no wonder I didn't see you there. I was hoping to run into you downstairs somewhere. I didn't get into the bar at all the whole weekend. The fact that one person I was with wasn't old enough and the other didn't have any ID made it difficult...

We ended up going out to eat at Dick's Last Resort. Great place! We stayed late, got into a napkin fight, traded insults with the waitress and laughed out butts off! Considering how early we got up that day and how early we planned on getting up the next day, we didn't do much after we got back to the hotel.

steff
02-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Well crap, no wonder I didn't see you there. I was hoping to run into you downstairs somewhere. I didn't get into the bar at all the whole weekend. The fact that one person I was with wasn't old enough and the other didn't have any ID made it difficult...

We ended up going out to eat at Dick's Last Resort. Great place! We stayed late, got into a napkin fight, traded insults with the waitress and laughed out butts off! Considering how early we got up that day and how early we planned on getting up the next day, we didn't do much after we got back to the hotel.


Well.. this is really going to piss ya off.. you don't need an ID to be in the bar area. I saw several youngins up there. And not with parents either. You just need ID to drink. Too bad you didn't come up there. Next year..

Brian26
02-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Steffie, baby, I think you're wrong. When my buddies and I were partying with Dotson for almost an hour, we occasionally looked over and saw a group of kids at the entrance. I don't think they were letting little kids down the stairs and into the bar after 10pm.

Sorry I missed you and Jim. Were you guys towards the middle of the bar near Melton and Black Jack? We were on the south end near Borchard and Dot.