PDA

View Full Version : Major renovations slated for 2005

MRKARNO
01-31-2003, 08:15 PM
Read the aritcle at the official site http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030131&content_id=195274&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

"Fans have responded very positively to previous renovations, so we look forward to unveiling the new version of U.S. Cellular Field in 2005"-Jerry Reinsdorf

We should also find out more about the renovation timetable at the press conference at US Cellular Field on Monday at 11:00 am

THE_HOOTER
01-31-2003, 09:18 PM
I would imagine the upper deck concourse and centerfield seats will have to do this year.

Next off-season the upper deck major renovations will be done.

I would bet that a new scoreboard will also be part of the finish too.

MarkEdward
01-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

I would bet that a new scoreboard will also be part of the finish too.

What's wrong with the current scoreboard (aside from the fact that it doesn't give a lot of info on the hitter)?

CHISOXFAN13
01-31-2003, 10:20 PM
If they build a home run porch, many of the people in it wouldn't be able to see a scoreboard in center. A better option could be the enormous scoreboard that Jacobs Field has in left field. That is a good looking board.

MattSharp
01-31-2003, 11:23 PM
I just found out about the name change. That sucks it tough. Everyone will call it Comsikey forever anyway.

Shoeless Joe
02-01-2003, 01:07 AM
If there's one sports venue in Chicago that needs a name change it's Comiskey Park. Why name your ballpark in honor of the cheapest owner in baseball history! Charles Comiskey single handedly destroyed the Sox for years and we're still feeling the effects of it now. If anything changing the name and getting money in return for it might be one of the greatest things that could happen to the park. As far as I'm concerned you can change Comiskey Park to Harold Baines Memorial Park as long as it gets some much needed renovations.

Chrisaway
02-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
As far as I'm concerned you can change Comiskey Park to Harold Baines Memorial Park as long as it gets some much needed renovations.

Hee hee or maybe if they changed it to a domed stadium and called it the Karko-Dome.

Brian26
02-01-2003, 02:25 AM
I was in line waiting for Borchard's autograph. As Borchard signed a ball for me, a Sox official was sitting next to him telling him about the upcoming changes to the park. I overheard him say that the seats will be changed to green (not this year, but the year after). Also, I heard the scoreboard is being renovated this year. Just thought I would pass that on...

WhiteSox = Life
02-01-2003, 03:27 AM
Cool. Sounds like a little spying going on, huh? Very good job, Agent 026. Your invaluable White Sox information given to the WhiteSoxInteractive community is important and well-presented. Well, keep up the good work, and this message will self-destuct in five seconds.

:)

VeeckAsInWreck
02-01-2003, 03:55 AM
I Why name your ballpark in honor of the cheapest owner in baseball history!

Amen Brother! Besides the real "Comiskey Park" was torn down 12 years ago!

Most people will probably call it "Sox Park" anyway!

SaltyPretzel
02-01-2003, 10:07 AM
As far as I'm concerned you can change Comiskey Park to Harold Baines Memorial Park as long as it gets some much needed renovations.

Harold's dead???????????? :whiner:

OfficerKarkovice
02-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Chrisaway
Hee hee or maybe if they changed it to a domed stadium and called it the Karko-Dome.

That would be too much to ask for!!! :)

ScottyTheSoxFan
02-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Harold's dead???????????? :whiner:

no but i've seen dead people run faster.

jortafan
02-01-2003, 11:35 AM
If there's one sports venue in Chicago that needs a name change it's Comiskey Park. Why name your ballpark in honor of the cheapest owner in baseball history! Charles Comiskey single handedly destroyed the Sox for years and we're still feeling the effects of it now.

Get real!

Comiskey is NOT the cheapest owner in baseball history. Even among his contemporaries, he wasn't the cheapest (or have we forgotten how many times Connie Mack broke up championship Athletics teams because he didn't want to meet the payroll).

Besides, the man was the founder of the White Sox, and one of the big boosters to help create the American League (just imagine if we only had the Cubs to root for in this town). That entitles him to something.

All that said, I don't have a problem with taking his name off the new building. Comiskey Park was the building across the street, and putting the same name on the new building only invites people to make comparisons that the new building can never win. The new building cheapens his memory.

I had heard talk that the Comiskey memorial would consist of a statue to be erected just outside the "newly created" main entrance. I think that's appropriate.

Besides, for those of you who don't care for the Old Roman, doesn't the idea of Comiskey covered with bird doo sound just about right?

LuvSox
02-01-2003, 01:11 PM
At what point does the price tag on all of these renovations out number the initial cost of the stadium?

RichH55
02-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I was in line waiting for Borchard's autograph. As Borchard signed a ball for me, a Sox official was sitting next to him telling him about the upcoming changes to the park. I overheard him say that the seats will be changed to green (not this year, but the year after). Also, I heard the scoreboard is being renovated this year. Just thought I would pass that on...

Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy this board? Great Info Brian!

duke of dorwood
02-01-2003, 02:29 PM
I asked Borchard if he ever heard the term LTP-he said no.

I say we put Brian in charge of finding Bin-Laden

Brian26
02-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy this board? Great Info Brian!

Thanks. Just wish I could have stalled a little longer, but the line was moving and I had to step over to get Crede's autograph too.

Not a bad two days at SoxFest so far.

I've gotten these autographs: Crede, Borchard, Buehrle (all on separate balls), and then on one miscellaneous ball I've got: Baines, Kittle, Manuel, Kenny, Josh Paul, Don Pall, Garland, and DJ.

I could have easily had Dotson's autograph last night in the bar when I shot the **** with him for half an hour, but I didn't want him to mess up the miscellaneous ball :) Not sure if he could have written straight at that point.

Pete_SSAC
02-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Get real!

Comiskey is NOT the cheapest owner in baseball history.

:reinsy
"Yeah! How dare you forget about me you SOB!"

- Pete