PDA

View Full Version : OK, Now you heard...what do you think?

Medford Bobby
01-31-2003, 06:44 PM
That Comiskey Park :whiner: will be named US Celluar Field. My take is I'd rather the name stay with the old "Palace of the World" across the street...I remember the "SOX Park" era, and seemed nobody missed the Comiskey name then. I guess I'd rather let this ballpark with it's own difference from the old park should have it's own idenity. To me still when some body says "Comiskey Park" :smile: ...I think of the old ramps, and arched windows and roof shots, and thats what I'd rather live with...ok what' your take????????? :gulp: Listning to the online coverage in cloudy Oregon...................

WhiteSoxWinner
01-31-2003, 06:49 PM
No big deal. To me, I will always call it Sox Park or Comiskey. As a great song once said, "Go on. Take the money and run."

Now they just have to run that money into the team/park. If Uncle Jerry and his cronnies keep it, then it sucks.

WinningUgly!
01-31-2003, 07:01 PM
I guess it could be worse.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/UScell.JPG

upnorthsox
01-31-2003, 07:02 PM
I've hated having to make that distinction between "Old" Comiskey and "New", Comiskey for me will always be the old place. Let this place start having its own name and history and let's start with a WS in its first yr.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-31-2003, 07:07 PM
Look at it this way, we never won a WS in Commiskey. So maybe this is the dawning of a "new era". Or maybe it was a way to scam $68 mil for the investors....hmmm.

NYSF :D:

FarmerAndy
01-31-2003, 07:22 PM
I would imagine they will still keep the Comiskey name. It will probably be U.S. Cellular Field at Comiskey Park, or something like that.

upnorthsox
01-31-2003, 07:25 PM
I think the ISA has more rights to the money than JR and Co., would be more worried that they'd take the money and dump it into new soldier Field.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-31-2003, 07:44 PM
I like it, it gives smaller market teams a way to compete as well as continue the renovations on the park. I am assuming that. I would hope that some of that could be used toward the needs of the team as well.

NYSF

Foulke You
01-31-2003, 07:50 PM
As an educated guess, I would say that a good chunk of the money will go to the original plan that was shown on the HKS website that showed the grand entrance, homer porch, and canopy covered upper deck.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
As an educated guess, I would say that a good chunk of the money will go to the original plan that was shown on the HKS website that showed the grand entrance, homer porch, and canopy covered upper deck.

That's fine, and I look forward to seeing the park renovated. I will be in Chi in Feb, and I wanna go to the clubhouse so I can see the changes.

I hope however that JR realizes that the excitement at the fest is generated by aquisitions of players not new paint.

NYSF

Lip Man 1
01-31-2003, 08:14 PM
According to a release that I just got e-mailed to me from the Sox, the "official" name of Comiskey Park will now be "U.S. Cellular Field."

It doesn't mention Comiskey anywhere in that does it?

Also the deal is for 23 years at slightly over 68 million. Now here's my question.

I don't know much about how much naming rights are going for, so I don't know if the Sox got over or under the average (I'd guess under...) but this deal averages out to about 2.9 million per season.

How in the hell is 2.9 million per year going to renovate the upper deck (estimated at 30 million) or get better players? You can't get a back up middle infielder for that price. And it's not like U.S. Cellular is going to make a one time payment of 53 million to the Sox either.

So can someone explain to me how naming rights work and how this will financially help the Sox on or off the field? For 2.9 million a year all I can see coming out of this is that Uncle Jerry gets a fatter wallet.

Lip

JeffFromBeverly
01-31-2003, 08:22 PM
I used to work for this $hitty company, quite possibly the worst place I have EVER worked. On the one hand, I'm glad that this company bought the rights to the stadium, hopefully they will fix the Upper Tank and make it nice... and then follow their brethren like PSINet, Conseco, TWADome, US Airways, MCI & Enron, fading into the annals of corporate failure.

However, I can't go to a future Sox game without feeling a twinge of aggravation, similar to walking into your favorite tavern and finding that there is a picture of your ex-wife confronting you when you first walk in....

LuvSox
01-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by JeffFromBeverly
I used to work for this $hitty company, quite possibly the worst place I have EVER worked. On the one hand, I'm glad that this company bought the rights to the stadium, hopefully they will fix the Upper Tank and make it nice... and then follow their brethren like PSINet, Conseco, TWADome, US Airways, MCI & Enron, fading into the annals of corporate failure.

However, I can't go to a future Sox game without feeling a twinge of aggravation, similar to walking into your favorite tavern and finding that there is a picture of your ex-wife confronting you when you first walk in.... No kidding, this company surely won't be around in 20 years.

HawkDJ
01-31-2003, 08:43 PM
I don't like it but we knew something like this would be happening soon. It's surprising the Sox have waited this long to join the trend of selling naming rights. It wouldn't be too bad if we got some more money. $2 mill or so per year just isn't that much. Plus US Cellular Field is a long name. I guess it could be USC Field for short. I'll probably still call it Comiskey, its the only Comiskey I know (don't remember old Comiskey).

:hawk
Hello and welcome to beautiful US Cellular Field where tonight....

Daver
01-31-2003, 08:48 PM

However, I can't go to a future Sox game without feeling a twinge of aggravation, similar to walking into your favorite tavern and finding that there is a picture of your ex-wife confronting you when you first walk in....

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

joecrede
01-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

I don't know much about how much naming rights are going for, so I don't know if the Sox got over or under the average (I'd guess under...) but this deal averages out to about 2.9 million per season.

It's under what naming rights for new stadiums are going for, but considering Comiskey is 12 years-old I think it's probably fair. For comparison, I think the United Center deal is for 20 years, $20M.

How in the hell is 2.9 million per year going to renovate the upper deck (estimated at 30 million) or get better players? You can't get a back up middle infielder for that price. And it's not like U.S. Cellular is going to make a one time payment of 53 million to the Sox either.

I'm sure the Sox aren't going to make a one time payment to the architectural firm either. On top of the $68M. they get from "The Cell" they're also getting money from the state. Part of the New Soldier Field deal.

JeffFromBeverly
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome, daver :smile: Die-hard Sox fan, although I'm sure that's gonna change... Too many bad memories associated with the company that put the "Cell" in cellular. Oh well... Life goes on, and the Gary SteelRailCats are starting their inaugural season!!!!

Bisco Stu
01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Another example of corporate America (or corporate wherever) having absolutely NO INTEGRITY. They'll buy and sell anyone, anything, for a buck. No taste, no class.

U.S. Cellular Field, yeah that just rolls off the tongue. Pure poetry.

If Comic Book Guy is a ChiSox fan, he would proclaim:

WORST STADIUM NAME EVER!

It's too bad their lives are so empty that these jackanapes have to try to fill the hole with money.

jortafan
01-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Look at it this way, we never won a WS in Commiskey. So maybe this is the dawning of a "new era". Or maybe it was a way to scam $68 mil for the investors....hmmm.

Actually, we beat the New York Giants 4 games to 2 in 1917, playing in the Old Comiskey Park. That was also the beginning of a three-year era where the World Series was played each season at Comiskey (the Cubs rented it for the 1918 series because their own ballpark, now known as Wrigley Field, was considered inadequate).

Ol Aches & Pains
01-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
That Comiskey Park :whiner: will be named US Celluar Field. My take is I'd rather the name stay with the old "Palace of the World" across the street...I remember the "SOX Park" era, and seemed nobody missed the Comiskey name then. I guess I'd rather let this ballpark with it's own difference from the old park should have it's own idenity. To me still when some body says "Comiskey Park" :smile: ...I think of the old ramps, and arched windows and roof shots, and thats what I'd rather live with...ok what' your take????????? :gulp: Listning to the online coverage in cloudy Oregon...................

I agree, Comiskey Park was torn down a dozen years ago. The monstrosity that replaced it doesn't deserve to be called Comiskey Park. It's antiseptic and soulless, just as well it has a corporate name. It's a shame they sold the name so cheaply, though. Christ, Tony Graffanino probably makes $2.9M a year.

idseer
01-31-2003, 09:41 PM
not to mention that in about 2020 that 2.9 mil will be worth about $300!

LineShot
01-31-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan

And to take that a little further The sox have lost their last 9 (right?) home playoff games in "Comiskey Park". Maybe fate will get confused by the name change and look the other way the next time the Sox are in the Playoffs! :D:

npdempse
01-31-2003, 11:16 PM
This really doesn't rub me the wrong way at all. Wasn't Comiskey as much of a skinflint huckster as anybody in contemporary corporate America? I see no reason why his name should be enshrined through the ages.

Soldier Field, on the other hand, well, how did Daley put it?--"It's Da Soldier Field, dere, the Soldier Field, it'll always be Soldier Field, like, for the Soldiers..."

Lip Man 1
01-31-2003, 11:18 PM
A few points:

1.Ironic isn't it that had Uncle Jerry actually listened to the architects in the first place he could have had the type of park that became all the rage and could now be pocketing all this money (or spending some of it on player acquisitions) for himself and his cronies.

2.In a way I must admit, this is a compliment. It took ten years (nobody ever said Uncle Jerry was a genius) but Sox ownership FINALLY was forced to listen to the fans who have been screaming, WIN NOW, and FIX THE BALLMALL! (Now if we could get him to get rid of Rob Gallas and (if this latest series of moves don't work out) kenny Williams.

Lip

the scorekeeper
01-31-2003, 11:31 PM

2.9mil/year pays for quite a bit when you do a bond issue and pay it off at that rate over 23 years. Let's see, if we pick some random numbers here....

2,900,000/12 months = roughly 240,000/month

For simplicity's sake, let's assume the ISFA does the bond issue for 20 years and gets a rate of...4% (not sure how reasonable that is, but probably within 2%).

By my estimation, you could get around 35-38 million with that repayment schedule, which is plenty for a rehab job.

Doesn't address money for the team, but my reading of the press release and understanding of the Sox-ISFA relationship suggests that most or all of this money goes to the ballpark, not the team.

Nellie_Fox
01-31-2003, 11:46 PM
I absolutely hate this. Another generic, corporate name that has no connection to the team. I couldn't tell you which team plays in what park these days. :angry:

duke of dorwood
02-01-2003, 12:35 AM
They didnt want to announce it yet, per someone in the org I spoke with at Sox Fest. The Cubune article made it necessary. Hence the internet display at whitesox.com booth. And nothing was said at opening ceremony. Its the way it is now. You guys are right, this never was Comiskey Park. And I'm sure this is the first in a series of sponsorship names for the park.

wassagstdu
02-01-2003, 12:41 AM
Totally absurd.
And there is nothing wrong with Comiskey Park, the finest ballpark I have seen and way, way better than the old one I loved so much. I think the Sox should take the $68MM and use it to buy naming rights to a company. How about "White Sox Cellular Phone Co."? Think of the PR.
How about having the players wear the name of a company on their backs instead of their own? Or how about selling logo rights -- have uniforms that look like NASCAR cars?

Pete_SSAC
02-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by wassagstdu
Or how about selling logo rights -- have uniforms that look like NASCAR cars?

:hitless
"I have the wheels!"

:versatile
"Me too! VRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!"

- Pete

T Dog
02-01-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Actually, we beat the New York Giants 4 games to 2 in 1917, playing in the Old Comiskey Park. That was also the beginning of a three-year era where the World Series was played each season at Comiskey (the Cubs rented it for the 1918 series because their own ballpark, now known as Wrigley Field, was considered inadequate).

That was before the north side park had ivy in the outfield. The Cubs only played the regular season there because it was less inadequate than West Side Park.

Sox park, even with a lower case p, isn't so bad. Strangely enough, while leaving several Sox games last season, I overheard people saying they enjoyed the experience better than baseball at Wrigley.

WhiteSox = Life
02-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Until the final word is given and the actual plans are given on Monday morning, I'm only going to say one thing about Comiskey Park changing its name to US Cellular Field:

At least it's not named Minute Maid Park.

:)

Chrisaway
02-01-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
I absolutely hate this. Another generic, corporate name that has no connection to the team. I couldn't tell you which team plays in what park these days. :angry:

Agreed. Though it was not as worthy of the name "Comiskey Park" as its predecessor, at least we had one of the few traditional ballparks (well ballpark names) left. Why cant sports just be sports. Now our park is just some big effing billboard for some shi**y phone company. Oh well I hope they use some of that money to put a winner on the field. US Cellular Field that is (ughhhh).

voodoochile
02-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Chrisaway
Agreed. Though it was not as worthy of the name "Comiskey Park" as its predecessor, at least we had one of the few traditional ballparks (well ballpark names) left. Why cant sports just be sports. Now our park is just some big effing billboard for some shi**y phone company. Oh well I hope they use some of that money to put a winner on the field. US Cellular Field that is (ughhhh).

And your point is? I mean come on. Who cares what they call the park/stadium/field? Take the money and run run run to the nearest construction company.

Do you really want the name Comiskey at the expense of a HR porch, a revamped UD, a grand entrance on 35th st and better amenities all around?

Besides, since when has the muti-billion/year company known as MLB been strictly a sport? They'd like us to believe it is so, but in reality, the owners have been treating it like a business for 100+ years. They just like to sell us the concept of a higher purpose/greater meaning because it fills their wallets faster.

Priorities, people. Priorities...

Chrisaway
02-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
And your point is? I mean come on. Who cares what they call the park/stadium/field? Take the money and run run run to the nearest construction company.

Do you really want the name Comiskey at the expense of a HR porch, a revamped UD, a grand entrance on 35th st and better amenities all around?

Besides, since when has the muti-billion/year company known as MLB been strictly a sport? They'd like us to believe it is so, but in reality, the owners have been treating it like a business for 100+ years. They just like to sell us the concept of a higher purpose/greater meaning because it fills their wallets faster.

Hey if they use that money for the right purposes then hey I'm all for it. But were talking about JR here so I'm at least a tad bit worried. I'm only 22 years old so this Comiskey Park has provided me with most of my Sox memories (I only caught one game at the old park). Its just kinda sad to see the name change. I'm sure that if the park gets rennovated or the Sox win the World series, I'll forget about it quick.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2003, 07:43 AM
Knowing what we know about Charles Comiskey, why would anyone think he is entitled to having his name attached to the ballpark. Even the original ballpark that he built at 35th & Shields was not named for him. He himself named it White Sox Park. It was years later it was finally rechristened Comiskey Park.

Fine by me if you want a statue of Comiskey or some other remembrance of his contributions to big league baseball on the South Side. Put one up to Bill Veeck too, for all I care. However, I can think of at least 30 Sox legends I would give that honor to long before any owner of the ballclub got that honor.

:luis&nell
"We're two of them."

:appling
"I'm another."

:shoeless
"Wouldn't a memorial to me behind homeplate at Old Comiskey really put a thumb in the eye of baseball's establishment..."

wassagstdu
02-01-2003, 11:34 AM

Give me a break.

voodoochile
02-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Give me a break.

What's your point? They have been talking about it. Wouldn't it be nicer if the people getting of the train could enter through an atrium like the skybox users have? Besides, it would really make the place more visually attractive and might help change the places image...

Jjav829
02-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Who cares what they call it? If it helps make the stadium better, it's fine by me. I'll probably still call it Comiskey anyway. Just grab the damn money and go spend it.

I just hope that the stadium isn't filled with pictures of Joan Cusack.

Lip Man 1
02-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Interesting points today in the papers:

1.That Uncle Jerry didn't have the guts to tell Sox fans about the change when he was addressing them. Instead he sent out a press release. Typical... what are you ashamed of Jerry?

2.Chuck Comiskey's comments including this one, ''That's nothing,'' Comiskey said, scoffing at the amount the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority will receive. ''With what it costs to run a stadium, that's probably not enough to change the light bulbs in that place. Think about it. What is that, just over $3 million a year?''

3.The economic expert who was interviewed and mentioned that the odds were goos U.S. Cellular wouldn't be around in twenty years.

Lip

koch44
02-01-2003, 04:56 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I have never seen a cellular phone company last for five years? What happened to Cellular One? A few months ago Voice Stream was bought by T Mobile.
These are the reasons why I don't like this deal.

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by koch44
I don't know about you guys, but I have never seen a cellular phone company last for five years? What happened to Cellular One? A few months ago Voice Stream was bought by T Mobile.
These are the reasons why I don't like this deal.

Don't sweat it. As with any other merger or acquisition, the resulting entity MUST MEET ALL the contractual obligations of the previous organization. The ballpark's name might change, but not the payment schedule the Sox receive.

Of course bankruptcy is always a possibility, but cellular communication technology is a true growth industry, completely the opposite of the smoke and mirrors high-wire act "The Crooked 'E'" was playing on the entire world with "energy futures" down in Houston. The payments to the Astros stopped and thus was born "Minute Maid Park"--another company (Coca-Cola Foods) in another industry (Consumer Packaged Goods) with steady cash flow and profits. A Happy Ending.

Sure, the name "U.S. Cellular" might not survive. However a merger, not bankruptcy, is the likely outcome. Their competitors are too hungry for customers to leave that asset in the hands of a bankruptcy judge. They'll buy U.S. Cellular long before that happens--and the Sox keep getting paid.

:reinsy
"Pffft... You think I would screw myself on a deal this big? Let's get real."

:lofton :hurt
"Listen to that man!"

JeffFromBeverly
02-01-2003, 08:42 PM
So, when the Sox season tanks, are we going to refer to them as the Cellular Dwellulars???

I want credit for that one.

Bmr31
02-01-2003, 09:18 PM
So, when the Sox season tanks, are we going to refer to them as the Cellular Dwellulars???

I want credit for that one.

That may have been slightly funny if the sox had any chance to finish anywhere near the basement. :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
02-02-2003, 12:10 AM
Do you really want the name Comiskey at the expense of a HR porch, a revamped UD, a grand entrance on 35th st and better amenities all around? Gingerbread, all gingerbread. What do any of those things have to do with how good a place is to watch baseball? I'm surprised that you didn't point out how important green seats are to a quality baseball watching experience. A quality field, good sightlines, and I'm a happy old geezer.

Tradition thrown away to become another park with a name that no one can associate with the team that plays there.

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Gingerbread, all gingerbread. What do any of those things have to do with how good a place is to watch baseball? I'm surprised that you didn't point out how important green seats are to a quality baseball watching experience. A quality field, good sightlines, and I'm a happy old geezer.

Tradition thrown away to become another park with a name that no one can associate with the team that plays there.

Nellie, people have been complaining about the UD since the place was opened. A HR porch would allow fans to sit in the UD in the OF giving them a different view of the game and a chance to snag a homerun or two. Finally, a grand entrance changes the outside image of the park and maybe makes it more inviting to people to come down (maybe not, but what the heck - anything is better than the trucks and loading zone that is currently in that corner of the stadium - horrible first image of the park walking up from the train station - way to sterile and uninviting).

Still the question seems a bit moot. These things MIGHT help, but they won't know until they try. They can't try until they get the money (or so they say).

Besides, if all you need are good sightlines and a quality field, then why do you care what the name is anyway?

SaltyPretzel
02-02-2003, 05:43 AM
I've been to Camden Yards and Jacob's Field. Their upper decks are no lower than ours. The big difference is that the playing field at those parks were dug out so the upper deck does'nt seem as high when you are outside. When you are inside, it's just as high.

Cheryl
02-02-2003, 12:45 PM
I just don't care. Nor will I remember which cellular company it's named after except when I'm at the ballpark. It would be nice if they used the $3 mil or whatever for something useful, but I'm guessing that will go straight to the stockholders.

Lip Man 1
02-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Supposedly they are going to use the money to do major renovations on the park. You'll know more after the press conference Monday morning.

Lip

Cheryl
02-02-2003, 03:32 PM
On $2 or 3 million dollars a year? We'll see.

<on edit> Unless this is a lump payment, or even several payments spread over fewer years than the contract. Then I guess they could afford to do the work.

Though, to be honest (and cynical) I'm guessing the stockholders will still get some of it, just skimmed right off the top.

Procol Harum
02-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Don't give a particular rat's petooty about losing "New Comiskey" as a moniker--the real Comiskey Park was eradicated after the 1990 season. I'm much more concerned about the product on the field than the name of the field (although I suppose Rat's Petooty Field doesn't do much for me...)--here's hopin' that the name change might bring a little bit happier mojo than the name Comiskey ever did. :gulp:

voodoochile
02-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
On $2 or 3 million dollars a year? We'll see.

Have terms of payment been disclosed? Was there a big upfront down payment? If so that definitely changes the equation.

Also, they could always use the payments to a take out a loan which should be in the area of $30M...

wassagstdu
02-02-2003, 05:10 PM
I think JR has a tin ear on this one (what else is new?) I would submit that Comiskey Park is not only the symbol of White Sox tradition but also the centerpiece of the south side. Pffft. Both gone.

Nellie, people have been complaining about the UD since the place was opened.
As other posts from time to time have pointed out, Comiskey UD is no worse than other new parks that are raved about. First time I saw a game at new Comiskey I sat in the left field corner second row from the top, a few seats from the end, looking at home plate over the top of the foul pole. I loved it! (First time at Camden I sat in the lower deck under the "home run porch" in left and hated the obstructed view.)
The reason people hate the Comiskey UD, IMHO, is because of the symbolism of those three rows of luxury boxes. Feels like the park was build for someone other than real (working class) Sox fans. Connecting with the old park helped a little to soften
that. Selling the name (tradition) to the highest bidder confirms the first impression. The Sox will lose fans, grand entrance or no, and the south side has lost its soul.

Kilroy
02-02-2003, 05:30 PM
I think JR has a tin ear on this one (what else is new?) I would submit that Comiskey Park is not only the symbol of White Sox tradition but also the centerpiece of the south side. Pffft. Both gone.

I think that if any of this translates somehow into the Sox winning, you won't care if they play in Manure Field.

cheeses_h_rice
02-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
I think that if any of this translates somehow into the Sox winning, you won't care if they play in Manure Field.

Wait, the Sox are going to play at Wrigley?

:)

Lip Man 1
02-02-2003, 08:25 PM
It was reported over the weekend in the paper that U.S. Cellular is expected to pay roughly 50 million to the Sox in the next two years for the renovations.

Lip

RichH55
02-02-2003, 11:29 PM
It was reported over the weekend in the paper that U.S. Cellular is expected to pay roughly 50 million to the Sox in the next two years for the renovations.

Lip

Even Better...and Lip you were questioning the deal? For all the time you spent watching JR(and critizing him) I thought you would know that he doesnt get screwed on business deals

Cheryl
02-03-2003, 09:00 AM
On the train this morning I caught a headline in that Red Something "paper" the Sun TImes puts out. Seems Moronettie doesn't like the deal. So now I'm all for it.

Not that I'll ever remember the new name, but if Jay doesn't like it, it must be good.

soxguy
02-03-2003, 11:33 AM
listen.......for all intents and purposes comiskey park was across the street and was demolished, these owners should have had a corporate sponser when they opened the park in the first place. They probably were a little worried about all those " traditionalists" out there, so they kept the comiskey name on the new stadium. First off the comiskey name is nothing to gloat over. Mr comiskey was a notorious cheapskate and treated his players and fans like crap, his is not a name i care to ever support, its all in the history GO LOOK IT UP, it can't be disputed. Secondly , this was a genious manuver by sox ownership. They don't even own the stadium and now they have a cellular company willing to commit 68 million dollars to a older stadium by todays standards. At least mr. reinsdorf and co. is trying to listen to all the whining masses of sox fans out there, who once again prove that nothing can make them happy. "oh I don't like like the name U.S cellular field" GET OVER IT! How about something more up ur alley say like PETCO field...JEEZ! And to Rick Morrisey in the fish wrapper they call a paper THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE, I wonder how skewed his view is, I think the trib mangmt. would do anything to make the white sox look bad. I keep buying tribs tho because I want the trib co. to be profitable,this way they have NO excuse to continue to bamboozle their slack-jawed, cult following fandom as they have this year like so many past years. Rick morrisey....you suck and so do your petty little articles. I think 5 or 6 years from now sox fans will see this as a great thing but some people lack foresight...SO JUST WAIT AND SEE!

Iwritecode
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by koch44
I don't know about you guys, but I have never seen a cellular phone company last for five years? What happened to Cellular One?

Uh... US Cellular is Cell One. They just changed their name...

BeerHandle
02-03-2003, 01:20 PM
I agree with Soxguy. It is a name! The thing I care about is what is the Sox organization going to do with the Money? What are the planned renovations for the next five years? I like what they have done and look forward to many more improvements!!!

Viva Magglio
02-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Uh... US Cellular is Cell One. They just changed their name...

No, Cellular One became Cingular Wireless. U.S. Cellular used to be PrimeCo.

DrCrawdad
02-03-2003, 01:36 PM
The Sox were supposedly going to have a press conference today at 11AM to unveil the plans for the ballpark formerly known as Comiskey Park. Anyone heard about the press conference? I'm eager to see the designs/plans.

- DrCrawdad.

FanOf14
02-03-2003, 01:55 PM
I thought US Cellular outdated PrimeCo? I interviewed at US Cellular almost 5 years ago...then again how old is/was PrimeCo?

Nellie_Fox
02-03-2003, 04:05 PM
You guys have just illustrated a problem with these corporate names. These companies either change their names or get acquired by someone else every couple of years, necessitating another name change. So, not only is there no tradition attached to the name, but no tradition can become attached to the name. For example PacBell has been acquired by somebody else, so next year PacBell Park will already have a new name (one that I've already forgotten.)

Chisox353014
02-03-2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by wassagstdu I would submit that Comiskey Park is not only the symbol of White Sox tradition but also the centerpiece of the south side. Pffft. Both gone.

I agree 100%. When all this corporate naming crap started happening in the 90's I said to myself "thank God the Sox would never do this, the name Comiskey Park has too much history to even consider it". Boy was I wrong. It signifies to me that the Sox clearly occupy a lower rung in the pantheon of sports. Imagine the protests if Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium or Wrigley were scheduled to receive the same treatment.

vegyrex
02-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
I agree 100%. When all this corporate naming crap started happening in the 90's I said to myself "thank God the Sox would never do this, the name Comiskey Park has too much history to even consider it". Boy was I wrong. It signifies to me that the Sox clearly occupy a lower rung in the pantheon of sports. Imagine the protests if Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium or Wrigley were scheduled to receive the same treatment.

Where do the Angels play? How about the Giants?? If naming rights means doing what the angels did last year I'm all for it.
Having lived in Boston, I'd say Red Sox fans will change their tune if their team got to win a world series in a park not named Fenway. Only flubbie fans will truly bitch and moan about it.

voodoochile
02-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Where do the Angels play? How about the Giants?? If naming rights means doing what the angels did last year I'm all for it.
Having lived in Boston, I'd say Red Sox fans will change their tune if their team got to win a world series in a park not named Fenway. Only flubbie fans will truly bitch and moan about it.

And their stadium already is named for a corporation, they just don't get paid for that right...

viagracat
02-03-2003, 06:30 PM
It has always been Comiskey Park and will be Comiskey Park as far as I'm concerned. Sure can't say I like it, but I guess I got used to the United Center, so I'll get used to US Cellular Park. Heck, they could rename it Cat's Pride Litter Field and I would still go there before I set foot in Cubbyland.

hsnterprize
02-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Personally, it really doesn't bother me that Comiskey is now "U.S. Cellular Field". Mind you...I'm not crazy about all the corporate naming rights with all of these mew stadiums popping up, but considering Comiskey's predicament with the upper deck and the blandness of the park, I don't have a complaint about the deal. True...the name of the ballpark is close to many Sox fans, and I know there are a lot of people who don't like it. But, if the Sox use the money to renovate the ballpark to a standard we can be proud of, then the deal would be worth it. Not to mention, who cares what the name of the ballpark is if the team who plays in it wins?

Iwritecode
02-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
No, Cellular One became Cingular Wireless. U.S. Cellular used to be PrimeCo.

Originally posted by FanOf14 I thought US Cellular outdated PrimeCo? I interviewed at US Cellular almost 5 years ago...then again how old is/was PrimeCo?

US Cellular does outdate PrimeCo. PrimeCo was bought by US Cellular and yes, US Cellular used to be Cell One. I've had my phone through them for quite awhile. I still pay my bill at the same building, it just has a different name on it. They sent a letter to all their customers when it happened. It's kind of like Ameritech changing to SBC.

Iwritecode
02-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Imagine the protests if Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium or Wrigley were scheduled to receive the same treatment.

The Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs won't ever have to worry about that. They already spend a lot of money, they don't need any more. That was the main driving force behind this deal for JR. This way he gets more money to spend on the team and none of it is his...

soxguy
02-04-2003, 10:50 AM
first off wrigley is already named after a corporation....WRIGLEY...and it probably was one of the 1st to do so, because the field wasnt originally called wrigley. Secondly...... who cares about the cubs and red sox having alot of money. do u see a common theme between the two....LOSING. Arent they the two most losing franchises in baseball as far as a world series draught? I would rather have a good business man running my team who is trying to make changes to appease the fans than an orginization with tons of money that spends it on washed up, has beens every single year, and really who never has a legitimate chance to win. Money isnt always the deciding factor, its also who you have running the org. and who evaluates where the money will be spent! The yanks always have been the big spenders in baseball(lookk back thru history) and they always will be,so they cannot be compared with any other teams.

soxguy
02-04-2003, 10:52 AM
taht there is even this silly debate over naming etc. continues to amaze me, we have a team that may have a legitimate chance to win a pennant. Lets talk about that. I wont post anymore on this silly thread

doogiec
02-04-2003, 11:05 PM

Sometime, wander out to the Boston, NYY, or Cubs web site and compare their ticket prices to those of the White Sox. All three are significantly higher. (Some comparable seats almost three times higher).

If you were a fan of one of these teams and went to several games a year, wouldn't you want them to find ways to increase revenue WITHOUT increasing ticket prices?

JUGGERNAUT
02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
I hope JR bothers to poll the fans on this. I know I was polled several times this off-season about the Whitesox from a firm out of Colorado. So hopefully he will follow the same path on this.

There are some profound changes that can be made to this park to give it a unique view & a retro look & if they were successfully made I could seen some positive reviews coming from the major media on this park.

Cosmetic changes:
1-Nothing makes a park look more retro than brick. Start putting brick facing everywhere possible over the bland concrete.

2-Paint the seats green. Get rid of that ugly blue. All I think of our the Dodgers when I see them.

Profound upper deck changes:
3-Lower it dramatically on the 3rd base side. Keep the height the same on the 1st base side so that people sitting on that side can see a great view of the skyline, maybe the lake, & and the attractions on that side of the ball park. More on that later.

4-triple the width of the aisles & put in a center bar. Nothing makes the casual fan feel vertigo & apprehension like the narrow space on the stairs of the upper deck. This would greatly improve that.

Outside attractions:
5-Make use of the combination of change 3 & the wealth of space outside the 3rd base side of the park to entice carnivals to frequent the area during the season. The carnivals could make use of the fireworks display built inside the park either by allowing patrons of the carnival to enter the park or by the much improved sight lines with a much lower upper deck along 3rd base. Patrons of the 1st base upper deck would be able to look over and see the various rides & attractions going on in the carnivals.

6-Work with Metra to create a stop alongside the park. If you give the fans in the burbs convenient low cost access to the park they will be more likely to attend. This has been very successful for the Kane County Cougars & the Schaumburg Flyers.

Let me know what you think, but I really beleive these changes could greatly improve the reviews & general excitement & feel of US Cellular Field.

voodoochile
02-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by espnjohn1
I hope JR bothers to poll the fans on this. I know I was polled several times this off-season about the Whitesox from a firm out of Colorado. So hopefully he will follow the same path on this.

There are some profound changes that can be made to this park to give it a unique view & a retro look & if they were successfully made I could seen some positive reviews coming from the major media on this park.

Cosmetic changes:
1-Nothing makes a park look more retro than brick. Start putting brick facing everywhere possible over the bland concrete.

2-Paint the seats green. Get rid of that ugly blue. All I think of our the Dodgers when I see them.

Profound upper deck changes:
3-Lower it dramatically on the 3rd base side. Keep the height the same on the 1st base side so that people sitting on that side can see a great view of the skyline, maybe the lake, & and the attractions on that side of the ball park. More on that later.

4-triple the width of the aisles & put in a center bar. Nothing makes the casual fan feel vertigo & apprehension like the narrow space on the stairs of the upper deck. This would greatly improve that.

Outside attractions:
5-Make use of the combination of change 3 & the wealth of space outside the 3rd base side of the park to entice carnivals to frequent the area during the season. The carnivals could make use of the fireworks display built inside the park either by allowing patrons of the carnival to enter the park or by the much improved sight lines with a much lower upper deck along 3rd base. Patrons of the 1st base upper deck would be able to look over and see the various rides & attractions going on in the carnivals.

6-Work with Metra to create a stop alongside the park. If you give the fans in the burbs convenient low cost access to the park they will be more likely to attend. This has been very successful for the Kane County Cougars & the Schaumburg Flyers.

Let me know what you think, but I really beleive these changes could greatly improve the reviews & general excitement & feel of US Cellular Field.

1)They are already doing this inside the park, don't know if brick on the outside is cost effective or even possible, but the "grand entrance" depicted in the pictures from the HKS site seem to look that way.

2)Paint? How about replace? Supposedly this is already in the works also.

3)I would doubt they could two tier the UD like that without major financial involvement. Probably the support structure underneath the UD is one piece and changing one side without the other would be very very expensive.

4)I agree that they could use more space in the UD aisles. Seems that they would be able to afford taking one seat off of both ends of each row once they build the HR porch and not lose any seating capacity.

5)Carnivals? How about bars and restaurants? Besides, a carnival would attract everyone, not just people who want to go to the game and would probably make parking and travel even tougher on game nights.

6)I think this would help, but not as much as you think. The reason it works for the minor league teams in the suburbs is that they are already in the suburbs. Still, it can't hurt to try and every extra person who attends the games is more money for the Sox. I just wonder if it is cost effective for Metra to do this. Is it worth it to build an entire platform and run trains there to accomodate maybe 1000 people 81 times a year? However, maybe they can work with Metra to run shuttle buses back and forth between the DT station and the park the way the Bears run shuttle buses between Monroe St Garage and SF. Just a thought...

Just my $0.02...

soxnut
02-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Hopefully they do chop off enough of the upper deck to make it more intimate. I would like to see them add a few rows to the front ofupper deck. It could overhang a little maybe only 3 or 4 rows.

It looks as though in the original pics from HKS that in the front of the park the steps lead you directly into the main concourse, which would be awesome. This of course would knock out the gift shop and hall of fame. Therefore I would like to see a gift shop and a much larger hall of fame placed on Wentworth & 35th. (This could hopefully be open all year round with tour of park: ie: Turner Field).

The Wentworth side should also have some sort of party deck, pre, during and post game. That side of the ballpark needs to be made much more attractive to passers by on the expy as well. It may create more interest in people wanting to come to the park. And it will offer a great view of the city(you can also watch all the projects being torn down, along with the creation of new neighborhoods).

The one rendering also looks as though they have eliminated the huge exterior ramps. How is anybody going to get to the upper deck and club level??

As for the exterior facades. How about if they paint them a more rustic-brick type color, and accent some of it with an antique white? I think that would be cheaper than rebricking.

They should brick the bullpen areas and the exterior of the bullpen bar and it's terraced section. And all padding should be green as well as the seats.

The billboard backgrounds if they keep them--should be painted the same green as the signage on the main concourse. Maybe even change the shape of the billboards. ( to look more like arches) And get rid of every other blue accent in that park!!

soxnut
02-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Also, from the rendering in th front of the park, they have added more trees along 35th street. when you do that, the street can then be considered a parkway, as in:

COMISKEY PARKWAY. :D: :?:

U.S. Cellular Field
333 W. Comiskey Parkway
Chicago, IL :smile: