PDA

View Full Version : US Cellular Park...

DrCrawdad
01-31-2003, 07:27 AM
I heard on the SCORE this morning that the Sox are close to a naming rights deal with US Cellular.

gogosoxgogo
01-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Wow, you and Viva just posted back to back.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=152245#post152245

At least there's confirmationg. One from the Tribune, one from the Score.

Viva Magglio
01-31-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
At least there's confirmationg. One from the Tribune, one from the Score.

Murph was reading the Tribune article.

DrCrawdad
01-31-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Wow, you and Viva just posted back to back... At least there's confirmation. One from the Tribune, one from the Score.

The SCORE is basically just reporting what is in the Trib. They aren't claiming any additional information, from what I've heard.

Some people may get upset about this name change, but I don't care what the name is. If they improve the park, fantastic. I can still call it Comiskey Park or even Sox Park for that matter.

- DrCrawdad

DrCrawdad
01-31-2003, 07:40 AM
What do you think the chance is that the Sox are planning to reveal the name change and show the remodeling plans at SoxFest this weekend?

Viva Magglio
01-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
What do you think the chance is that the Sox are planning to reveal the name change and show the remodeling plans at SoxFest this weekend?

I don't know about that, but I'm sure this will be a top topic on the fans' SoxFest seminar agenda.

baggio202
01-31-2003, 08:20 AM
we could sell the naming rights to preperation H and call it ass creme field for all i care as long as the sox promised to put the money to good use...like increasing the payroll

duke of dorwood
01-31-2003, 08:39 AM
The "Mix" morning news actually quoted a spokesman from U S Cellular about this. They said it would be announced "as soon as Monday"

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
we could sell the naming rights to preperation H and call it ass creme field for all i care as long as the sox promised to put the money to good use...like increasing the payroll

HA! Get the Preparation H people on the phone - talk about generating some PR!

But I agree. To me, it was stupid to name the new park "Comiskey" anyway. Comiskey Park was bulldozed 13 years ago, IMHO. According to the Trib, any $ gained from a naming rights deal would be used to make stadium improvents, like improving the upper deck and site lines. I'm okay with that, too - but I think they should use the $ to put up that home run porch in the outfield; I think that would generate a lot of excitement. In either event, if they really do make the park a better and more interesting place, that'll increase attendance and allow the team to increase payroll (and to, hopefully, make the South Side an attractive place to play for free agents and players with no-trade clauses).

Scotty347
01-31-2003, 09:26 AM
This may have been considered sac-religious a few years ago, but I think by this point almost all of us are desensitized by the naming of stadiums. If this deal would put the final touch on approving the rest of the renovation plans and increase payroll, I'm all for it. As long as they don't ban me from bringing my
T-Mobile phone into the park.

harwar
01-31-2003, 09:28 AM
I guess i'm old fashioned but its going to really bug me every time they call it "U.S. Cellular Park".It will always be White Sox Park to me anyway.

MarqSox
01-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Just a side note: This wouldn't be U.S. Cellular's first stadium ... Just south of Milwaukee's Bradley Center lies

http://216.247.86.122/gallery/imgs/cell2.jpg

LuvSox
01-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Scotty347
This may have been considered sac-religious a few years ago, but I think by this point almost all of us are desensitized by the naming of stadiums. If this deal would put the final touch on approving the rest of the renovation plans and increase payroll, I'm all for it. As long as they don't ban me from bringing my
T-Mobile phone into the park. Shouldn't the Urinal be named after a cell phone company? Those "fans" are always on their phones.

SaltyPretzel
01-31-2003, 10:01 AM
I just hope they don't have a cheesy patch on their home uniforms with "U.S. Cellular" on it to replace the Comiskey Park patches they currently have.

irish rover
01-31-2003, 10:17 AM
marqsox, did that used to be the Kohl center and for some reason I thought they were tearing down something near there and I thought it was that.

Bobby Thigpen
01-31-2003, 10:18 AM
I would agree that they don't need a new patch on the jersey, but other than that I can't see any negatives in this deal. If it means they're going to make the park look like those original pictures on the architect's website (with the homer porch) then they could name it Vagisil field for all I care.

Kilroy
01-31-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I would agree that they don't need a new patch on the jersey, but other than that I can't see any negatives in this deal.

Obviously, you haven't considered the giant pictures of Joan Cusak that will be all over the Park. Catherinze Zeta-Jones I can deal with. Joan Cusak??? That's another story...

Bobby Thigpen
01-31-2003, 10:29 AM
What, you don't like Joan's pained expression of having hemrhoids removed every time she speaks. That doesn't turn you on like it does me?

:)

THE_HOOTER
01-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Has anything been said about further renovations this offseason.

It's probably too late I would imagine.

FanOf14
01-31-2003, 10:46 AM
Maybe Joan isn't the next Playboy ccenterfold, but isn't she a Chicago girl? If she is, I hope she is a Sox fan rather than a scrubs fan...

A.T. Money
01-31-2003, 10:53 AM
I personally dislike this.

Having a non-corporate stadium name is rare these days.

It's always been Comiskey.

Hullett_Fan
01-31-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

LOL. I definitely agree. Take the money, improve the park and get a legit CF/lead off hitter to set the table for Frank, Maggs, Kong and Lee.

I associate the name "Comiskey Park" with the old ballpark...and I don't mind calling the new one "US Cellular Park -- Home of the 2003 World Champion White Sox" :D:

CHISOXFAN13
01-31-2003, 11:22 AM
I believe US Cellular Arena is the good ol' Milwaukee Mecca. What a drak, gray place to watch a game.

Dadawg_77
01-31-2003, 11:30 AM
One added benefit is there would probally be no more Prime Co ads. Those calls to the pen were kind of anoying.

EnricoPallazzo
01-31-2003, 11:40 AM
The Sox should approach Hooters to see they might be interested. Think about THAT logo on the old sleeve.

EnricoPallazzo
01-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Joan is a Chicago girl but, like all Chicago celebrities I can think of, she is a fan of the lovable little cubbies.

IronFisk
01-31-2003, 11:54 AM
I with those who are still scratching their heads why the Sox named the new place Comiskey at all (although with the Sox, I have already scratched my head bald over the years). I thought a great name from the start would've been "Veeck Field", although that was an impossibility.

The new place should have a corporate name, since it was built to cater to corporate interests. I think the ineveitable nickname if US Cellular would be approprate - the "Cell". This would fit nicely with the already prison-like concrete atmosphere at the park now.

Mitch. :gulp:

Mammoo
01-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Just to give you some perspective, I'm 51 years old and spent many hours at "Old" Comiskey with my Father, Brothers, then my wife and kids. I really miss it. I have nothing against the new place , as the amenities are much better. By contrast, I am a Bears season ticket holder and am thrilled with the "New" Soldier Field.

Anyhoo, if they can tear down an historic place like CP, they can certainly change the name in the blink of an eye. My only request is that they put every penny back into the park for the improvements that fans seem to demand.

BTW, this site is great. I truly enjoy the content, especially hearing Bob Elsen and Harry Caray broadcasting selected highlights.

Thanks,

Bob

http://www.fanstop.com/fanclub/smash/article.asp?team=smash&id=35306

http://www.fanstop.com/gl_images/topleft2002.gif
"What Kind Of Fan Are You?"

Hullett_Fan
01-31-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by IronFisk
I think the ineveitable nickname if US Cellular would be approprate - the "Cell". This would fit nicely with the already prison-like concrete atmosphere at the park now.

:gulp: to that...LOL.

On a positive note, I'd be happy if opposing teams refer to it as 'The Cell' because they feel it's a prison (ie. they're getting ass-fd by the powerful, unstoppable White Sox everytime they play here :D: ). Here's to an 82-0 record at US Cellular Park! :gulp:

Chisox353014
01-31-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
One added benefit is there would probally be no more Prime Co ads. Those calls to the pen were kind of anoying.

Didn't US Cellular take over PrimeCo? So know we'll have the US Cellular call to the pen instead.
Hmmm...let's see... the park will be named after a cell phone company and that stupid stock ticker is still in left field...why not just go the whole nine yards, get Hummer as a sponser and call the place "Corporate A$$^*&ole Field". I guess the last remnants of the Sox being Chicago's "blue-collar team" are pretty much gone. :(:

voodoochile
01-31-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Just to give you some perspective, I'm 51 years old and spent many hours at "Old" Comiskey with my Father, Brothers, then my wife and kids. I really miss it. I have nothing against the new place , as the amenities are much better. By contrast, I am a Bears season ticket holder and am thrilled with the "New" Soldier Field.

Anyhoo, if they can tear down an historic place like CP, they can certainly change the name in the blink of an eye. My only request is that they put every penny back into the park for the improvements that fans seem to demand.

BTW, this site is great. I truly enjoy the content, especially hearing Bob Elsen and Harry Caray broadcasting selected highlights.

Thanks,

Bob

http://www.fanstop.com/fanclub/smash/article.asp?team=smash&id=35306

http://www.fanstop.com/gl_images/topleft2002.gif
"What Kind Of Fan Are You?"

Hey welcome aboard. :D:

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Whatever. I'm just happy if they can get some funds to rehab the park.

But I'm fully expecting this tomorrow...

:moron

It's almost laughable how the worst park in the major leagues, the sterile concrete ballmall on the South Side formerly known as Comiskey Park, will soon be named after a bland corporation with little in the way of history or personality. And, in keeping with the second-tier nature of the White Sox in the city of Chicago, said company has lesser-known talent Joan Cusack as its spokesperson instead of the better-loved, more famous, Cub fan John Cusack, her brother.

voodoochile
01-31-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Didn't US Cellular take over PrimeCo? So know we'll have the US Cellular call to the pen instead.
Hmmm...let's see... the park will be named after a cell phone company and that stupid stock ticker is still in left field...why not just go the whole nine yards, get Hummer as a sponser and call the place "Corporate A$$^*&ole Field". I guess the last remnants of the Sox being Chicago's "blue-collar team" are pretty much gone. :(:

Oh well... maybe they can spend the money on some blue collar players and they will play better and then the blue-collar fans can come watch a winner at "Corporate A$$^*&ole Field".

Take the money and run, JR...

chisox06
01-31-2003, 12:42 PM
Ive have always liked the fact that Comiskey was one of the few that have not gone the corporate way. However, after seeing those diagrams of what Comiskey could have looked liked if it takes a name change to get there I'm all for it. What about US Celluar field at Comiskey Park? I think that would be a good compromise.

Unregistered
01-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
Joan is a Chicago girl but, like all Chicago celebrities I can think of, she is a fan of the lovable little cubbies. The Cusacks are from Chicago, Technically the North Suburbs (Evanston). But John was in Eight Men Out, so they could very well be Sox fans...

soxnut
01-31-2003, 01:09 PM
I don't care what they call the park anymore. As long as the money is used to upgrade the park, so that people will shut up about the upper deck and the way the park looks once and for all!!

DrCrawdad
01-31-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I don't care what they call the park anymore. As long as the money is used to upgrade the park, so that people will shut up about the upper deck and the way the park looks once and for all!!

Here, here!

Lip Man 1
01-31-2003, 01:56 PM
If the Sox sell the naming rights I for one am going to try to keep a VERY close eye on where the money is going to go....

Will it go:

1. To ripping apart the upper deck and replacing it with the "home run porch," estimated to cost thirty million?

2. To improving the team by jacking up the payroll to say 70 million, which is more representative of the nation's 3rd largest market?

3. Right in the pockets of Uncle Jerry and his other assorted minority owners?

Hmmmmmm.....decisions, decisions.....

U.S. Cellular Field.....has all the appeal of Jerry Reinsdorf being one of your in laws!!!!!

Lip

Foulke You
01-31-2003, 02:07 PM
I don't know. UD improvements, HR porch, and HOPEFULLY a better tribute to the retired numbers and past Sox players will be nice but there is just one thing that is going to bug the hell out of me. Seeing that big "US Cellular" on the CF scoreboard instead of Comiskey Park will be quite odd. It will also be interesting to see if Reinsdorf keeps his word to the Comiskey family in his promise to somehow always keep the name Comiskey associated with the park. Past rumors had them doing something like (US Cellular Field at Comiskey Park)

:dinger
Set off that "famous" US Cellular Scoreboard!! Yuck.

soxnut
01-31-2003, 02:20 PM
I like your ideas Foulke You. I figure those things are going to happen. On the scordboard the McDonald's logo will probably be replaced with the big US Cellular STAR. It would be great if they put a retro-clock there instead, tho :smile: .

MarqSox
01-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
marqsox, did that used to be the Kohl center and for some reason I thought they were tearing down something near there and I thought it was that.

Actually, the Kohl Center is in Madison, home to the hated Wisconsin Badgers.

The building that's being torn down near the Bradley Center is the Milwaukee Auditorium, which happens to be next to the U.S. Cellular Arena. The Arena, as was noted earlier, was formerly known as the MECCA (Milwaukee Entertainment Center and Civic Arena). U.S. Cellular has actually rehabbed it very nicely since taking it over a few years ago. I know they wouldn't actually own Comiskey, but nonetheless, they get my vote.

jortafan
01-31-2003, 02:45 PM
I know I've seen John Cusack at Comiskey and also have heard of him going to games at Wrigley, whenever he's in town instead of living in L.A.

The one difference is that whenever he brings some Hollywood "eye candy" with him, they wind up at Wrigley.

That probably does little to resolve whether he prefers Sox or cubbie blue, but it's what I know.

MarkEdward
01-31-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm having a hard time imagining Gene Honda say "welcome to U.S. Cellular Park, home of your Chicago White Sox!"

Anyway, how long has U.S. Cellular been around? Did they just spring up?

Foulke You
01-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'm having a hard time imagining Gene Honda say "welcome to U.S. Cellular Park, home of your Chicago White Sox!"

Not to mention the confusing aspect of what happens if the company goes under or is merged/aquired by another company. This has happened already.

Enron Field (now Minute Maid Park), Pac Bell Park (now SBC Field because Pac Bell was aquired by SBC), Trans World Airlines Dome, and let us not forget that the United Center is on thin ice.

Will we have a new park name every 5 to 10 years now?

steff
01-31-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by EnricoPallazzo
Joan is a Chicago girl but, like all Chicago celebrities I can think of, she is a fan of the lovable little cubbies.

Nope.. both her and her brother are Sox fans and sit in JR's box many times during the summer.

MarqSox
01-31-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

They've been around for half a dozen years or so, but they just moved into the Chicago market in the last year.

MRKARNO
01-31-2003, 07:12 PM
For the record, now it is official. US Cellular Field. I wish that there was an "at Comiskey Park" attached to the end of it, but I think people will still call it Comiskey for a few years at least. But a better ballpark beats the actual name of it anyways.

When you're at the game, do you really think all that much about the name of the stadium? Probably not.

What about the look of the stadium and the coolness of it? Probably a lot more.

The Sox were looking to do this from day one; it just took them 12 years to find a willing sponser. I remember last year how the Household International deal fell through. Household International Park? I don't think so.

US Cellular sounds more like an arena of the 00's than does Household International. In addition, US cellular has a patriotic theme to its advertising scheme and name, so in reality, it's all good/

Daver
01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Comiskey Park was a magical ballpark on the North side of 35th St.,a legendary place where fly balls went to die,I never considered the ballpark on the South side of 35th St.as Comiskey Park.

doublem23
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I just hope they don't have a cheesy patch on their home uniforms with "U.S. Cellular" on it to replace the Comiskey Park patches they currently have.

Why would they keep them. They don't play at Comiskey Park anymore.

doublem23
01-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
For the record, now it is official. US Cellular Field. I wish that there was an "at Comiskey Park" attached to the end of it, but I think people will still call it Comiskey for a few years at least. But a better ballpark beats the actual name of it anyways.

What's the fascination with the damn name? Call it "Stupid Stadium that Looks like A Piece of ****" for all I care... As long as the Sox are there, I'm showing up.

DVG
02-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Whatever. I'm just happy if they can get some funds to rehab the park.

But I'm fully expecting this tomorrow...

It's almost laughable how the worst park in the major leagues, the sterile concrete ballmall on the South Side formerly known as Comiskey Park, will soon be named after a bland corporation with little in the way of history or personality. And, in keeping with the second-tier nature of the White Sox in the city of Chicago, said company has lesser-known talent Joan Cusack as its spokesperson instead of the better-loved, more famous, Cub fan John Cusack, her brother.

So the useless, non-entity team (what's their name?) with a
minimum-wage whiner who doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame
has sold their corporate soul for thirty pieces of silver. Judas
would be proud of this deal. The name now sounds as cold
and impersonal as the ill-conceived, poorly-designed, cold and
impersonal park in a rotten, crumbling neighborhood that decent
out-of-towners would never visit, lest they be set upon by shirt-
less, knife-wielding thugs looking to jump and beat any and all
people who set foot in there. This never would've happened if
JR had not stubbornly built a ballmall like this one.

Meanwhile, sellout crowds will continue to flock to the perfect
holy shrine that is the closest thing to heaven that we mor-
tals are ever likely to have; Wrigley Field. My Cubbies will
never have to resort to such horrible things like selling naming
rights as long as my Sammy is around. They own this city
today, tomorrow, forever and always. See you scum Sox fans
at the Cell Block.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by IronFisk
I thought a great name from the start would've been "Veeck Field", although that was an impossibility.

I couldn't agree more!

:veeck

PaleHoseGeorge
02-01-2003, 07:27 AM
I am proud to let everyone know my long-time mobile telephone service is with U.S. Cellular. I have no problem with the new corporate name for the BallMall.

As I've stated before, if the Sox get money to make the ballpark a more enjoyable place to watch the game, I'm all for it. More butts in the seats means more revenue for JR and fewer (plausible) excuses for why the team can't win. Everyone is a winner in this deal, even cynical Sox Fans who no longer trust (with good reason) Sox ownership.

I think one of the first promotions they should do is a cell phone "skin" promotion so fans can get a discount on a U.S. Cellular service plan featuring a catchy black, white, & silver Sox-themed skin.

:gallas
"Look, dammit. Our promotional calendar is filled! Between "Dog Day" and "Flying Elvis Sleepover for Picnic in the Park Dinner & Ballroom Dancing Night," I haven't got room for one more damned thing!"

Wsoxmike59
02-01-2003, 07:59 AM
The best news in all of this is that the Sox signed a LEASE EXTENSION for another 15 more years!!

That gives us until the year 2025 to enjoy baseball at 35th and Bill Veeck Dr. (nee Shields) It's pretty neat that the Sox will have been playing baseball at the same corner for over 115 years by the end of the lease.

I love the idea of building a HR porch or upperdeck in RF. Make it look a little bit like Old Comiskey or Old Tiger Stadium.

Wsoxmike59