PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day - 1/31

Lip Man 1
01-31-2003, 01:33 AM
"It will depend on the makeup of the rest of the staff," Jerry Manuel said. "If we happen to land a lefty for that [fifth] spot, I would not want two lefties going back to back."

Hmmmmmm? Are you sure the Sox are "tapped out?"

Lip

RichH55
01-31-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"It will depend on the makeup of the rest of the staff," Jerry Manuel said. "If we happen to land a lefty for that [fifth] spot, I would not want two lefties going back to back."

Hmmmmmm? Are you sure the Sox are "tapped out?"

Lip

No....but then again who is out there that you still want and still think is a viable get and could really help?(Especially now that your boy Suppan is gone)

Lip Man 1
01-31-2003, 01:44 AM
First off Manager Gandhi might have been referring to a trade. As far as free agents, well.....here's the list:

1. Brocail, Doug HOU
2. Cook, Dennis ANA
3. Durbin, Chad KC
4. Finley, Chuck STL
5. Helling, Rick ARI
6. Morgan, Mike ARI
7. Nickle, Doug SD
8. Person, Robert PHI
9. Rogers, Kenny TEX

My choices are in bold

It has been reported that Williams has already contacted the agents for Finley and Rogers and they still want more money then the Sox are willing to pay. That may change in a week if they are still unsigned as camps get ready to open.

Lip

Bmr31
01-31-2003, 01:47 AM
First off Manager Gandhi might have been referring to a trade. As far as free agents, well.....here's the list:

1. Brocail, Doug HOU
2. Cook, Dennis ANA
3. Durbin, Chad KC
4. Finley, Chuck STL
5. Helling, Rick ARI
6. Morgan, Mike ARI
7. Nickle, Doug SD
8. Person, Robert PHI
9. Rogers, Kenny TEX

My choices are in bold

It has been reported that Williams has already contacted the agents for Finley and Rogers and they still want more money then the Sox are willing to pay. That may change in a week if they are still unsigned as camps get ready to open.

Lip

Chuck Finley would be a great addition to our staff.

RichH55
01-31-2003, 01:47 AM

1. Brocail, Doug HOU
2. Cook, Dennis ANA
3. Durbin, Chad KC
4. Finley, Chuck STL
5. Helling, Rick ARI
6. Morgan, Mike ARI
7. Nickle, Doug SD
8. Person, Robert PHI
9. Rogers, Kenny TEX

My choices are in bold

Lip

I don't think we necessarily fit for Finley, but for a 4th/5th slot at our price...Kenny Rogers would be a nice pickup, especially on like a one year deal(maybe with an option)...give him an incentive to pitch well

jeremyb1
01-31-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I don't think we necessarily fit for Finley, but for a 4th/5th slot at our price...Kenny Rogers would be a nice pickup, especially on like a one year deal(maybe with an option)...give him an incentive to pitch well

i'd go along with putting rogers or finley in the rotation but if that's the case i'd really like to give rauch a very long look as a 12th pitcher. he's going to be 25 this season and he's seemingly proved himself at AAA. i just think that assuming he looks as good in the spring as he did at the beginning of last season, it'd be negligent to leave him to rot in the minors.

baggio202
01-31-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'd go along with putting rogers or finley in the rotation but if that's the case i'd really like to give rauch a very long look as a 12th pitcher. he's going to be 25 this season and he's seemingly proved himself at AAA. i just think that assuming he looks as good in the spring as he did at the beginning of last season, it'd be negligent to leave him to rot in the minors.

finley or rogers i think would make an excellent mentor for buehrle as he takes his next step in establishing himself as a proven commodity and not a flash in the pan...maybe they could help him deal with KW better too., or maybe in finely's case what not to look for in a wife :D:

jeremy...i think counting on rauch in a season where we have a real shot is a big gamble...sur ehe looked good last year but he is not 100% back from surgery...it takes 2 years..another year in AAA wont hurt him...in '04 he should be ready to win rookie of the year..if he is still eligable???

Chisox_cali
01-31-2003, 03:28 AM
anyone hear of any lefty's available in trade rumors?

DrCrawdad
01-31-2003, 06:29 AM
From what I read it the Sox are going to let lefty Josh Stewart battle it out for the rotation.

duke of dorwood
01-31-2003, 07:43 AM
He's such an idiot

MetalliSox
01-31-2003, 07:49 AM
I have been critical of Finley while with the Tribe. The guy was brutal most of the time. But after Benes taught him that sinker, he was almost dominant in St. Louis, but then it could of been the jump to the NL and getting that sure out with the pitcher.
I'd like Kenny Rogers as a number 4, If he was a 5 then he and Buehrle would be back to back, but if we did pick up Finley, I'd give him a chance.
Just another ex Indian.