PDA

View Full Version : KW responds to Buerhle

gogosoxgogo
01-30-2003, 07:51 PM
A couple of good quotes from the Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/arvia/x29-ard1.htm):
"Sometimes, it's hard to see the humor in some things," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Tuesday.
Buehrle did more or less the same thing last year at the St. Louis writers' dinner, drawing Williams' wrath after telling Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty, "Anything you can do to get me here, I'd love to play for the Cards."

This time, he drew an exasperated sigh.

"Maybe I'm old-fashioned," Williams said. "But I'd expect a little more loyalty toward the organization that gave you an opportunity to play professional baseball."
Williams, when discussing Buehrle, is fond of mentioning Oakland's Barry Zito, Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson, all of whom signed long-term contracts before reaching arbitration eligibility. Hudson's deal, signed in August 2000, was for five years and $14.7 million; Mulder's, signed in September 2001, was for four years and $14.2 million; and Zito's, signed in May 2002, was for four years and $9.3 million.

Buehrle, who has won 35 games over the last two seasons compared to 33 for Hudson and 40 each for Mulder and Zito, is believed to be looking for Mulder money while the Sox were offering a deal closer in value to Zito's.
At any rate, Williams is still hoping to do a one-year contract without being forced to renew Buehrle this season, which would be about the only reason in the history of Buehrle's affiliation with the Sox to think he'd stay here once he becomes eligible for free agency after 2006. Buehrle's agent, Jack Berry, sounded less than optimistic Tuesday when asked about negotiations, saying, "As far as Mark's contract goes, there's really nothing to say."
"He was just having a little fun with the media based on what happened at last year's banquet," Berry said.
Williams may be taking it a little personally because of the role he played in Buehrle's promotion to the majors in 2000, when he was the Sox's vice president of player development. Williams recalls telling an audience that included Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and then-GM Ron Schueler, "I'd stake my reputation that this guy can come up right now and help us."
"Taking that into consideration, taking into consideration our efforts over the last year to provide him financial security for life yeah, we were a little hurt by his comments," Williams said.
Last year, I was a little more forceful in my response," Williams said. "This year, I won't even waste the time. He knows our feelings. He chose to do it again.

"I'll focus on what happens when he takes the ball every fifth day and that's pretty special."
No doubt, Buehrle will shrug it all off. That's what he did last year when the first Cardinals story began to circulate.

"Come on, I was kidding," Buehrle said then. "I grew up a Cards fan, but I love Chicago. It was a joke."

Maybe you believed him then. Maybe you'll even believe him when he shares a dais Saturday with Williams for a Q&A with fans in what surely will be the can't-miss session of this weekend's SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency Chicago.

Just remember how adept Buehrle is at playing to the crowd.

baggio202
01-30-2003, 09:03 PM
"Maybe I'm old-fashioned," Williams said. "But I'd expect a little more loyalty toward the organization that gave you an opportunity to play professional baseball."

loyalty....you mean the way you (KW) showed buehrle loyalty last year when you cut his salary 15k???...loyalty is a two way street...

Kilroy
01-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

loyalty....you mean the way you (KW) showed buehrle loyalty last year when you cut his salary 15k???...loyalty is a two way street...

You're telling that story wrong. What the Sox cut was the amount of the raise they gave him. Burly still made more last year than he did the previous year, he just made 15k less than he could have because he didn't accept the offer the Sox made in the first place ansd wanted more. The Sox decided to pay him only what they had to.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
You're telling that story wrong. What the Sox cut was the amount of the raise they gave him. Burly still made more last year than he did the previous year, he just made 15k less than he could have because he didn't accept the offer the Sox made in the first place ansd wanted more. The Sox decided to pay him only what they had to.

Souds like loyalty to me!

Daver
01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Souds like loyalty to me!

Last time I checked loyalty went both ways,the Sox offered Mark a raise that he refused,knowing full well the Sox would set his salary regardless of what he wanted.

I think he,and his agent have handled this whole situation quite badly,or they are trying to force the Sox hand in their dealings with him.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by daver
Last time I checked loyalty went both ways,the Sox offered Mark a raise that he refused,knowing full well the Sox would set his salary regardless of what he wanted.

I think he,and his agent have handled this whole situation quite badly,or they are trying to force the Sox hand in their dealings with him.

Mark was never offered the contract that was reported.

Daver
01-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Mark was never offered the contract that was reported.

We are talking about last offseason,not this offseason.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by daver
We are talking about last offseason,not this offseason.

I wont take his side for last year. that was after 1 good season. He should have taken the raise.

chisox06
01-30-2003, 10:26 PM
I wont take his side for last year. that was after 1 good season. He should have taken the raise.

Exactly, I dont understand why anyone would take his side on this, Buehrle is unprofessional and somewhat childish IMO. And hey if he dont wanna be here, dont let the door kick you in the butt on the way out. But maybe Im a little to harsh, after all I am one of the few that would have liked to see Frank go somewhere else after all the whinning he did.

baggio202
01-31-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
Exactly, I dont understand why anyone would take his side on this, Buehrle is unprofessional and somewhat childish IMO. And hey if he dont wanna be here, dont let the door kick you in the butt on the way out. But maybe Im a little to harsh, after all I am one of the few that would have liked to see Frank go somewhere else after all the whinning he did.

there are two sides to this story and only one side has been heard....a few of us have heard from some people very close to mark and lets just say there is some question as to if kw was being totaly honest when he said he offered buehrle "barry zito type money"...the truth will come out soon enough...im sure it could have been handle a little bit better by buehrle but remember he is 22 -23 years old with no experience at this sort of thing..the sox definately could have handle this situation a lot better and they dont have youthful inexperience as an excuse...one thing is for sure...mark is learning the business side of baseball in a hurry

baggio202
01-31-2003, 01:22 AM

RPS....wasnt buehrle only asking for like 400k last year...i remember a big arguement going on as to whether it was smart to piss off our possible future ace to save 80k or so??...i didnt think 400k was inappropriate for what he did in '01...unless im off on the figures..

RichH55
01-31-2003, 02:31 AM
RPS....wasnt buehrle only asking for like 400k last year...i remember a big arguement going on as to whether it was smart to piss off our possible future ace to save 80k or so??...i didnt think 400k was inappropriate for what he did in '01...unless im off on the figures..

Well at the time I was on the fence....but do you really feel that Mark's behavior since that contract issue is something to build a real strong case upon?

The Sox offerign Zito money and Buerhle wanting Mulder money....that makes sense to me from both sides....I ahve no problem if Mark is confident enough to think he will continue to pitch well and injury free and thus make more money even if playing year to year, but this St. Louis stuff is bushleague at best, and has to stop

baggio202
01-31-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well at the time I was on the fence....but do you really feel that Mark's behavior since that contract issue is something to build a real strong case upon?

The Sox offerign Zito money and Buerhle wanting Mulder money....that makes sense to me from both sides....I ahve no problem if Mark is confident enough to think he will continue to pitch well and injury free and thus make more money even if playing year to year, but this St. Louis stuff is bushleague at best, and has to stop

it doesnt b other me at all...i wish more players who grew up loving the sox would say that..instead we got guys like cliff floyd , a south sider i believe, who put a no trade clause to the sox in his contract...

but while it doesnt bother me it seems to be bothering enough sox fans that buehrle probably should consider it if the situation arises again..i mean we frequently boo frank thomas..id hate to see that happen to our ace pitcher too...

as for the zito offer...remember there is so rumblings coming from the south that says that KW didnt quite come up with a barry zito type offer...so we dont who is telling the truth for sure..but judging from past KW dealings id have to side with mark...KW's trackrecord when it comes to honesty and integrity doesnt seem to be the best...

this will all play out eventually and we will see who was telling the truth...

white sox bill
01-31-2003, 08:27 AM
As a former minor league hockey player, I can atest that sure you always WANT to play for your fav. team. Hell, what athlete didn't grow up rooting for a favorite team?

But here's where some professionalism comes in. Keep your mouth shut about the Buerhle-like situation. Mark needs to grow up. He's a Sox until he NOT a Sox.

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 09:36 AM
as for the zito offer...remember there is so rumblings coming from the south that says that KW didnt quite come up with a barry zito type offer...so we dont who is telling the truth for sure..but judging from past KW dealings id have to side with mark...KW's trackrecord when it comes to honesty and integrity doesnt seem to be the best...

I keep hearing about "rumblings" that KW didn't really offer Buehrle Zito-type money. Where do these "rumblings" come from? I find it hard to believe that KW would tell the media that he had offered Buehrle $ in keeping with Sabathia and others if he hadn't - it would be so easy for Buehrle and his agent to refute, yet neither have done so. So until someone can give me a reason to believe those "rumblings," they're nothing but unsubstantiated and unlikely rumors, IMHO.

Also, please refresh my memory as to why you think KW doesn't have a good track record when it comes to honesty and integrity. I mean, I don't think he's done a particularly good job as GM (though he clearly has done better lately, and I do think virtually all of his deals make sense in theory), but I can't recall any reason to distrust him (or, I should say, any reason to distrust him any more than I distrust the management of any professional sports team).

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2003, 09:40 AM
If Mulder or Zito was offered for Buhrle would you do it? I think I would take either of those pitchers over Buhrle in a second. The one contract that I think is screwing up this process is Sabathia. Clearly Buhrle is better.

I wonder if Buhrle understands the fans perspective of his comments. Maybe he should be made aware of the impact of his words at Soxfest. He should be told in a way that is firm but positive.

Kilroy
01-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Also, please refresh my memory as to why you think KW doesn't have a good track record when it comes to honesty and integrity. I mean, I don't think he's done a particularly good job as GM (though he clearly has done better lately, and I do think virtually all of his deals make sense in theory), but I can't recall any reason to distrust him (or, I should say, any reason to distrust him any more than I distrust the management of any professional sports team).

I have the same question. While KWs dealings havent gone well todate, and I don't trust those all the time, I haven't heard him say anything that just turned out to be a lie. But, I'd like to hear about anything I may have missed...

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If Mulder or Zito was offered for Buhrle would you do it? I think I would take either of those pitchers over Buhrle in a second. The one contract that I think is screwing up this process is Sabathia. Clearly Buhrle is better.

I wonder if Buhrle understands the fans perspective of his comments. Maybe he should be made aware of the impact of his words at Soxfest. He should be told in a way that is firm but positive.

I would take Zito; Mulder and Buehrle are a toss up in my mind.

THE_HOOTER
01-31-2003, 10:05 AM
The one thing you have to remember that I don't necessarily agree with is that the agreement between the players union and the owners is set up so that younger successful players are really underpaid until they are arbitration eligible.

The players and owners realize the arbitration scenario is heavily weighed towards the players mainly due to the "payback mindset" because a Buerhle-type who wins 17 games a year only makes 500k for a few seasons.

Williams has made some questionable moves, but he hasn't lied. He probably offered 4 yr, 9 million.

We know Buerhle will hit the jackpot in arbitration if he keeps it up, so why not accept the security from the Sox in the short term?

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

He does owe his fans, his teammates, and his organization the respect we talk about. Personally, I hope Magglio grabs him by the throat and tells him to shut up and pitch.

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Williams has made some questionable moves, but he hasn't lied. He probably offered 4 yr, 9 million.

We know Buerhle will hit the jackpot in arbitration if he keeps it up, so why not accept the security from the Sox in the short term?

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

He does owe his fans, his teammates, and his organization the respect we talk about. Personally, I hope Magglio grabs him by the throat and tells him to shut up and pitch.

I think maybe you're mixing the two issues (as a lot of people seem to be doing). I, for one, don't give a rat's ass if he takes the 3 year deal the Sox offered; if he thinks he can make more in arbitration and the Sox have made an offer comparable to what others in this situation have signed for, then that's just a business decision on the part of both sides. I don't have a problem with that. It doesn't effect how long Mark will be with the Sox and his decision to go for arbitration is a testament to his confidence that he can keep up the impressive work and make more that way. Who cares?

But the fact that he keeps going to the Cardinals winter fest and he keeps suggesting he wants to be a Cardinal, has to stop. It is a slap in the face to the Sox fans and to his teammates. It is stupid and disrespectful. There is simply no upside for him to do it; all it does is piss off Sox' management and Sox fans. He's hear, married to Sox management and Sox fans, for 4 more years. Why would he take actions that are sure to piss us off? If he wants to increase pressure on management to offer him more money or a longer deal, he should try to get the fans on his side, not against him. Remarkably stupid.

Bobby Thigpen
01-31-2003, 10:24 AM
I really think this whole situation may actually be showing us how intelligent Mark is. I mean if he's dead set on going to St. Louis in 2006 anyway, why wouldn't he take whatever money the Sox offer him (it's better than his bargain deal he has now) and then run when the deal is up in 2006? If he continues this crap the Sox are only going to pay the bare minimum that they have to and while he'll get his way in three years he'll be much poorer when he does. Financially it would make sense to take a Zito deal as long as it had no strings attached after 2006. He's bound to make more money in three years with that deal than 2 years of arbitration. Besides, that way he would be covered for this year in case he gets hurt or has a terrible year. It just doesn't seem to work out in his favor the way he is playing it right now.

THE_HOOTER
01-31-2003, 10:40 AM
I agree with both of you.

Sox fans, Comiskey Park, and the entire organization has enough negative, sarcastic press-we sure as hell don't need our #1 going to other conventions and saying what Buerhle says.

The reason I mentioned the bargaining agreement was to defend the fact that Buerhle has no reason to bitch. According to the trends of the agreement, the player makes up for being underpaid during the arbitration period.

I think Buerhle is a buttface for saying this-even if he says it was a joke.

Trade him to the Cubs for Sammy.

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Financially it would make sense to take a Zito deal as long as it had no strings attached after 2006. He's bound to make more money in three years with that deal than 2 years of arbitration. Besides, that way he would be covered for this year in case he gets hurt or has a terrible year. It just doesn't seem to work out in his favor the way he is playing it right now.

I think the deal would give him more security in case of injury, but that he'd almost certainly be able to make more through arbitration. IIRC, he is arbitration eligible next off season. So, assuming the Sox pay him $500 - $600K this year (as has been reported), he would need to average only about $3 or $3.5 million per year over his 3 arbitration years to make what he's reportedly been offered. In arbitration (assuming he keeps producing at his current level), I think he'd probably pull in an average more along the lines of at least $5 to $6 million/year. (Remember, the Sox offered Koch $4.25 million in arbitration this year - and he's a closer who works 80 innings per year, whereas Buehrle is a starter giving the club 200+ IP per year.) If so, taking the arbitration option over the next three years would give him total compensation of over $15 million, which is more than the Sox are offering. His refusal to accept the Sox' over is based upon his belief that he'll get more in arbitration. He's taking that gamble (the risk is he'll get hurt or will otherwise not continue his early success), for which I don't blame him. That's his choice, and has no impact whatsoever on how long he'll be in a Sox uniform. So I couldn't care less either way.

My only concern is that the Sox make him a fair offer so that he's (at least somewhat) less inclinced to jump ship after '06 and so the other players on the team aren't embittered by perceived unfair treatment of one of their own. The key is that he and his teammates perceive that the Sox have not screwed him over (like they did last offseason).

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I think Buerhle is a buttface for saying this-even if he says it was a joke.

Trade him to the Cubs for Sammy.

Somebody slap Hooter - he's gone delirious!

baggio202
01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
if you red my response in here before i edited it out sorry, i tried to bracket my quotes and screwed it up so it came up looking like i was quoting hold2dibber instead of myself..if you read that please disregaurd..thanx

maurice
01-31-2003, 01:42 PM
i wish more players who grew up loving the sox would say that..instead we got guys like cliff floyd , a south sider i believe, who put a no trade clause to the sox in his contract...

I think potential FAs in all sports are driven off by the poor reputation of Chicago sports management, especially JR-owned teams. Some examples include the Bulls cornrow flap with Darius Miles and perceived "mistreatment" of MJ, Phil, and Scottie; the Hawks trading Chellios and refusing to sign Brett Hull; the Bears refusing to sign Simeon Rice and historically "tossing nickels around like they're sewer covers"; and the Trib's lack of interest in fielding a competitive team. JR's reputation (earned or not) with the Sox is just as bad (e.g, Fisk, Ventura, refusing to sign pitchers to long-term deals, anti-union positions, blaming fans, etc.).

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Baggio:

I don't know you so I don't know how much I can trust that info. But it just doesn't make sense to me. Again, if we're talking about the difference between $8 million over three years and $9 million over three years, then I could believe. But if KW was offering $3 million total and not the $9 million or so as reported, then I still don't see why Buehrle or his agent wouldn't just say that. I don't see how anyone would suggest that he was acting against the team - if KW made a false public statement about Buehrle's contract negotiations, no one would be-grudge Buehrle calling him on the carpet. He wouldn't have to make a big hullabaloo about it - just have his agent tell a reporter what he was offered. That would help put the fans on his side, which in turn might turn up the heat on the Sox to up the ante. I cannot think of a single decent reason why he would just let a public lie about him go without comment.

As to his Cardinals comments, I understand that he is only 23. That's one of the reasons I didn't make a big flap about his comments last year. But to me, its just unforgivable, after all the problems his comments caused last year, that he would even attend the Cardinals thing. But then, to add on, he makes another comment about playing for the Cardinals. He should have learned his lesson last year. Youth is no excuse. I still like Buehrle, and I hope he spends his whole career on the South Side; but I would have thought he would have learned after last year that he should never, while on the Sox payroll, go to a Cardinals event or make any public comments about his desire to play there. I think he owes Sox fans an apology.

RichH55
01-31-2003, 02:05 PM
it doesnt b other me at all...i wish more players who grew up loving the sox would say that..instead we got guys like cliff floyd , a south sider i believe, who put a no trade clause to the sox in his contract...

but while it doesnt bother me it seems to be bothering enough sox fans that buehrle probably should consider it if the situation arises again..i mean we frequently boo frank thomas..id hate to see that happen to our ace pitcher too...

There is a fine line between putting a No-Trade clause in and openly pining to go elsewhere.....actually its a huge difference and not even comparable, but I digress. Buerhle is what 23? I don't think he has paid his dues by that age.

When Pleasac said something along the lines of that he wanted to come to the Sox for his last year, that I can see....40 years old, close to retirement, paid his dues....Mark doesn't get that kind of benefit of the doubt from me

baggio202
01-31-2003, 02:06 PM
hold2dibber...i was hoping i could delete that before anyone read it because i screwed up the brackets and messed up your post..sorry...if i can give more info on buehrle i will..

as for mark's response...who knows...maybe tomorrow ..he is doing a Q&A with williams...wouldnt that be something??

on that st louis thing....i was under the impression from reading what was on the website thats its not a cardinal event but a st louis area event host by the cards but put on by sportswriters for all st louis area athletes...its also a charity event used to help underprivledge children...if im wrong could anyone correct me o that

RichH55
01-31-2003, 02:09 PM

I'm guessing you have nothing tangible to prove your Zito comments.

The Zito-esque money has been reported in more than one source, has never been denyed by the Buerhle camp(Who am have a hard time thinking would keep thier mouth shut on something like that)....In fact the last article i read repeated the Zito money line from the Sox, but said Buerhle wanted Mulder money(which is more)...that makes complete sense to me, and would seem to be the reality of the situation, so I think you do a disservice when you dismiss the Zito notion out of hand

If Mark thinks he can raise his value by pitching year to year, then more power to him, but to say KW lied or to allow Mark to keep make comments isnt in the best interests here

baggio202
01-31-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing you have nothing tangible to prove your Zito comments.

The Zito-esque money has been reported in more than one source, has never been denyed by the Buerhle camp(Who am have a hard time thinking would keep thier mouth shut on something like that)....In fact the last article i read repeated the Zito money line from the Sox, but said Buerhle wanted Mulder money(which is more)...that makes complete sense to me, and would seem to be the reality of the situation, so I think you do a disservice when you dismiss the Zito notion out of hand

If Mark thinks he can raise his value by pitching year to year, then more power to him, but to say KW lied or to allow Mark to keep make comments isnt in the best interests here

if you really think im lying please read this carefully...

im not naming my sources..sorry...but they are very reliable..and i trust them when they say things did not go down the way KW said they did..let me add.. "AT THE TIME HE SAID THEM"..thats an important point i want to make which i might not have been clear on in my original post... i didnt realize it was going to get this much attention or have my honesty called into question...i wouldnt have said anything at all if i thought this was gonna happen... some of the posters here who i know are mutual friends have gotten this info (atleast i think they have)and i thought would have shared it here already...so it would have been common knowledge...i should have known better..which obviously they do...

your last sentence throws me for a loop...while i do have a few inside contacts (which im not bragging about - its not that hard to find a few people who are in the know if you hang around comiskey enough and treat people with respect) - i dont have any power over mark buehrle to allow or not allow him to make comments on any subjects...

just think about this..you guys keep saying that buehrle is taking a huge chance turning down barry zito money and not taking the security...think about that statement... think about what im telling you...

would it be smart for mark to pitch this year at possibly the same money he made last year(kw's descretion) and risk injury to maybe get a bigger payday???...he already would be one year behind if he did that (2.7 million plus im sure it increases as the years go on)..so he would be 2.7 million in the hole ..first year of arbitration wouldnt make up the difference between that and what his increase would be for '04 (maybe 4 million so - 6.7 million total)... buehrle probably gets 5 million in arbitration next year so he is still 1.7 million behind if my figures are close and he has risked two years of injury...

and please dont tell me he will get 10 million or something like that in arbitration because no one gets that their first year..otherwise they will get 20 million by the end of the process - his agent would be nuts to ask for anything over 6 at the most - otherwise he takes a huge risk of the arbitrator picking the sox number..thus destroying this supposed strategy you all believe is happening....understanding the arbitration process...which is designed to have both parties make conservatives offers for fear if they ask for a rediculous amount the arbitrator will side with the other side, should show you guys how rediculous the theory that mark is willing to play for 300k this year to get the big bucks in arbitration next year really is....you dont get top dollar in arbitration...he would never catch up the money he lost this season...

so why hasnt he signed if KW offered zito type money???

because its the exact opposite of what you think....he is not trying to leave chicago , he is trying to stay...he is not gambling on the future...he wants a 4 year deal (not that youll believe me)...zito's contract FOUR FREAKING YEARS /9.3 million...

what in any of the sox past history under riensdorf would have any of you even remotely believe KW and JR would offer any pitcher a FOUR FREAKING YEAR deal???..especially a 23 year old...

from everything ive seen personally and from what others have relayed...there is nothing to think that mark is anything but a hard working humble young man who happens to have a god given gift to throw a baseball that puts him in the limelight and maybe in some situations thats not easy for a 23 year old to handle...if you dont believe me atleast give mark the benefit of the doubt...

RichH55
01-31-2003, 08:32 PM
Baggio....I have ZERO problem believing it was a Zito type offer, meaning 4 years ...4 years 9 million whereas Mulder(?) got 14.2 for 4 years.....a pretty good difference between 14 million and change and 9 million and that is where I think the hold up is

baggio202
02-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Baggio....I have ZERO problem believing it was a Zito type offer, meaning 4 years ...4 years 9 million whereas Mulder(?) got 14.2 for 4 years.....a pretty good difference between 14 million and change and 9 million and that is where I think the hold up is

well rich..i was standing right next to buehrle today at soxfest when he was doing an ESPN radio interview...he said plan as day...."i want a 4 year deal and the sox are offering 3...thats why i havent signed"...

also..mark and kenny were on stage together...kenny said they had dinner together earlier in the week and that everything is fine...that mark will be here for a long time...mark said that he plans on staying chicago as long as the sox want him here...to which he recieved a standiong ovation....buehrle also told jerry manuel that if he wants colon to pitch opening day thats fine...he doesnt care if jerry has him in the 5th spot....whatever is best for the team is fine with him...

RichH55
02-02-2003, 02:54 AM
well rich..i was standing right next to buehrle today at soxfest when he was doing an ESPN radio interview...he said plan as day...."i want a 4 year deal and the sox are offering 3...thats why i havent signed"...

also..mark and kenny were on stage together...kenny said they had dinner together earlier in the week and that everything is fine...that mark will be here for a long time...mark said that he plans on staying chicago as long as the sox want him here...to which he recieved a standiong ovation....buehrle also told jerry manuel that if he wants colon to pitch opening day thats fine...he doesnt care if jerry has him in the 5th spot....whatever is best for the team is fine with him...

Well hell....I could be wrong about the 4 vs. 3 years...I could be right......but I'm glad to see someone gave Mark some PR lessons before Sox Fest.....lets hope he remembers them the next time St Louis Sportswriters hold a shindig