PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to SoxFest?

Viva Magglio
01-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Who is going to SoxFest and doing what?

Hullett_Fan
01-30-2003, 12:30 PM
I'll be there Sat. starting at 11am. I'm meeting friends at the Hyatt bar. I always check out all the vendors to see if they have any memorabilia I want to add to my collection. I'm definitely stopping by the WSI booth to say Hi and meet some of you all in person.

Iwritecode
01-30-2003, 12:44 PM
I thought we covered this in one of the other 1,000 threads about Soxfest around here... :D:

Anyway, I've got the 2-night hotel package so I'll be there all weekend. I hope to be nearly on the road by this time tomorrow. Hopefully around noon.

I just checked the weather and they are calling for about an inch of snow tomorrow. :(: So fellow travelers be forewarned!

On a side note, is there anyone here that's stayed at the Hyatt before? I was wondering if the TV's in the rooms have audio/video hookups so I can bring my PS2. I've got a portable 13" color TV for backup.

voodoochile
01-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I thought we covered this in one of the other 1,000 threads about Soxfest around here... :D:

Anyway, I've got the 2-night hotel package so I'll be there all weekend. I hope to be nearly on the road by this time tomorrow. Hopefully around noon.

I just checked the weather and they are calling for about an inch of snow tomorrow. :(: So fellow travelers be forewarned!

On a side note, is there anyone here that's stayed at the Hyatt before? I was wondering if the TV's in the rooms have audio/video hookups so I can bring my PS2. I've got a portable 13" color TV for backup.

Why are you bringing a video game? If you have extra time when you are not at SF, look around the city. You will be smack dab in the middle of downtown Chicago. Great restaurants, museums, shopping, music, plays, movies, bars, etc. I know a bunch of great places to eat if you are looking to go out. Is the family coming with you?

Iwritecode
01-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Why are you bringing a video game? If you have extra time when you are not at SF, look around the city. You will be smack dab in the middle of downtown Chicago. Great restaurants, museums, shopping, music, plays, movies, bars, etc. I know a bunch of great places to eat if you are looking to go out. Is the family coming with you?

Because much like JR, I'm really cheap... :smile:

Seriously, I am bringing my wife, brother-in-law and best friend.

We are bringing limited fundage but my friend will probably have the least amount of spending money. He's only been at his job for about a month and hasn't had much time to save. Long story...

The games will probably be mostly used by my bro-in-law. He's only 19 and that's pretty much what he likes to do. I'm not sure if he'll be interested in "seeing the sights" as much as the rest of us will. So if we go out and he starts complaining that he's "bored", he'll have something to do. We do plan on at least checking out Navy Pier and the Sears Tower.

Cheryl
01-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Code?

The John Hancock is closer to they Hyatt than the Sears Tower. Also, there's a bar on the 96th floor. It's an expensive bar, but one drink there would cost less than an individual ticket to the observation deck at either building.

Also, if you go there, tell your wife she really, really needs to use the ladies room up there. Trust me.

Hangar18
01-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Hey I Write Code....im taking my nephew and little cousin,
theyre both 15. I might have to send them to your hotel
room to hang with your brother-in-law, seeing that I will
feel like drinking in the Atrium!!!......they love video games too.
new generation I guess.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-30-2003, 03:49 PM
i had planned on going. but something came up and i cant attend. however, give the players my regards, and tell KW i still dont trust him.

Iwritecode
01-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the tips Cheryl.

Speaking of bars, how strict are they at checking ID's around there? I've heard that you can get into the hotel bar if you're under 21 but you just can't sit AT the bar. I ask because the friend that I'm bringing just moved into town from Vegas a couple of months ago and managed to lose his ID. Now he is getting major run-around trying to get a new one. (For some reason they don't consider a Wisconsin birth certificate from the courthouse proof of id.) Anyway, he definitely *looks* over 21, but if we go to any bars around town I wonder if we are going to have problems...

voodoochile
01-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Thanks for the tips Cheryl.

Speaking of bars, how strict are they at checking ID's around there? I've heard that you can get into the hotel bar if you're under 21 but you just can't sit AT the bar. I ask because the friend that I'm bringing just moved into town from Vegas a couple of months ago and managed to lose his ID. Now he is getting major run-around trying to get a new one. (For some reason they don't consider a Wisconsin birth certificate from the courthouse proof of id.) Anyway, he definitely *looks* over 21, but if we go to any bars around town I wonder if we are going to have problems...

Downtown is tougher. Many bars down there just card out of hand. You are correct that a crowded hotel bar is more likely to have less carding going on, but at the same time, the prices will be higher. Just remember, if you get carded at one place, there are 50 more bars within walking distance from anywhere in the downtown area. Restaurants are even easier then either of the other, but you have to eat to sit down.

I still get carded occasionally and I am 39...

Have him bring his BC and whatever other things prove he is who he claims to be (With a CC he can verify signature by signing a cocktail napkin). It might help if the people are just carding out of habit and he truly does look older than 21...